Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:46:41 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  Games
| |-+  El-Hazard Online RPG (Moderators: Fujisawa4654, Spanner, Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  EHOL RPG???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: EHOL RPG???  (Read 21464 times)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 02:51:17 pm »

I think the idea of rendering all canon characters (Makoto, Ifurita, the Priestesses, etc.) as non-player characters is an interesting one; that way, everyone can call upon the characters from the show as-needed, without having to organize things with the character's player. I'm just as happy to go with a game playing as characters from the series, though.

I think that's also the best way of dealing with the situation. Although it would be interesting to let people be people and see how the story evolves as people follow their own agendas and fight over their fave chara (Ifurita, for instance), etc. In anime, the focus is usually people and their interactions with each other. Wouldn't it be interesting to let the game move this way, instead of forming up a party together and going about this or that? ^_^

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2003, 03:52:11 pm »

Once upon a time, I was in an El Hazard PBEM, (http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Garden/8455/ for the curious, not that there's much there anymore).  It didn't work out too well because there was no plot,  and show characters being run as PCs.  Since then, I've moved on, and am now the Admin for several Macross based message board RPGs.  

I've been considering an El Hazard game recently, and the thought of show characters in it, even as NPCs, doesn't thrill me too much.  I suppose that's because Ifurita is so powerful that she tips the balance.  One could run a potential game in the time period before Makoto goes to retrieve her from Earth.  

I'm personally thinking about running one that takes place in a different time period altogether, probably a generation or two before the OVAs.  *shrugs* I still need to do some background research though, but I think it would be interesting, because you could play in El Hazard, without having to worry about being upstaged by the show characters, or about the GM getting the show characters right, or whatnot.

"I expect this battle to be entertaining, Captain. Now get inside, so we can get this thing underway. I want to see some wai-wai lovely violence within a few minutes." - Major Melanie Melissa Masterson III
executor82
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2003, 05:42:20 pm »

But would I still be allowed to do the whole romancing thing with you any way rosh, seeing as I am going out with you?

Well it's RPG, so why not??  ;)

I'm personally thinking about running one that takes place in a different time period altogether, probably a generation or two before the OVAs.  *shrugs* I still need to do some background research though, but I think it would be interesting, because you could play in El Hazard, without having to worry about being upstaged by the show characters, or about the GM getting the show characters right, or whatnot.

Same to me, I have to gather some background info, too. But isn't it good as well to gain it through playing WITH the NPCs? So you'll find out about their personality and their role in El Hazard pretty fast.
Nevertheless, it's a good point!  ;)

Another time period would be interresting...
executor82
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 05:50:50 pm »

Although it would be interesting to let people be people and see how the story evolves as people follow their own agendas and fight over their fave chara (Ifurita, for instance), etc

Good point as well, but this could be some difficulty. What if the show char suddenly transformed into someone else, because the Player changes him a bit?

Nevertheless I would prefere to play 'Shayla'!
Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2003, 10:25:40 am »

Same to me, I have to gather some background info, too. But isn't it good as well to gain it through playing WITH the NPCs? So you'll find out about their personality and their role in El Hazard pretty fast.
Nevertheless, it's a good point!  ;)

Another time period would be interresting...

No no, I, myself,  need to gather some more background info for planning out my game.  That way the background can be provided to the PCs when they talk to the NPCs or do ingame research, or whatever.

"I expect this battle to be entertaining, Captain. Now get inside, so we can get this thing underway. I want to see some wai-wai lovely violence within a few minutes." - Major Melanie Melissa Masterson III
Spanner
Forum Moderator
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2003, 11:24:37 am »

Hmm... The "different time period" idea is an interesting one. However, rather than placing the game before the OAVs, I'd suggest placing it a few generations AFTER. That way, we can do things like have player characters that are descendants of the original characters, for instance. That way, someone who wants to play Shayla can actually play Shayla Jr. Jr., and thus have a Shayla-like character whom no one can complain about if she doesn't act just like her. And people will be less likely to fight over control of the original characters, 'cause they'll all be fogies. ^_^

Of course, Ifurita would probably still be just as powerful in two generations as she is in the present. If she's a problem, we can just say that she and Makoto decided to stay on Earth, or something. We never did get to see what happened to them after they were reunited, after all.

The 1337 poster
executor82
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 01:33:53 pm »

No no, I, myself,  need to gather some more background info for planning out my game.  That way the background can be provided to the PCs when they talk to the NPCs or do ingame research, or whatever.

Aha! Understood!  ;)

After all we should decide which period we gonna take.
In that case I'm for the future period!
kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 03:29:08 pm »

Another possibility would be a complete alternate universe or something of the sort.... which would actually allow leeway for minor character changes.... hm...

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 03:38:09 pm »

Hmm, an alternate universe would certainly clear up any slight character changes, and would lead into interesting possibilities, like Wanderers Rune and OVA Fatora in the same world.

Ah well, I'm keeping the past world for my game design.  I have some ideas I want to explore in it.  :)

Spanner
Forum Moderator
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2003, 10:16:15 pm »

Another possibility would be a complete alternate universe or something of the sort.... which would actually allow leeway for minor character changes.... hm...

True... But unless we make pretty significant changes to our alternate universe, it's problematic in that it doesn't allow for major character changes. For instance, if a player wants to be the Great Priestess of Wind, then they're stuck being Afura Mann. They might be a slightly different Afura Mann, but we'd have to change the world pretty significantly to make the Wind Priestess someone else.

But then, maybe it WOULD be interesting to make a radically different El-Hazard world, one with none of the characters from the original series (or said characters relegated to radically different roles), and leave it to the players to fill in the blanks with their own characters.

Hee hee - brainstorming this is almost as fun as actually playing it!  ;D

The 1337 poster
executor82
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2003, 09:57:53 am »

After all we should decide what to do!
All are good proposals, but we should do a voting to choose the final one.

Agreed?
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2003, 10:54:00 am »

I'm for the idea of the future El-Hazard, that way there could be decendants, and also maybe new ideas to explore, like new plot devices, such as the return of the Phantom tribe or something. But I think it would be a good idea to neuter Ifurita of her powers, or at least, a lot of them, unless we wanted to do this the future of EH the Wanderers. That way Ifurita won't be as all powerful, and maybe the story will be a little more developed?  :-/ But maybe we should take a web-poll?

Another idea I had was that we could do our own El-Hazard spoof, similiar to the Wanderers and Sega Saturn, so that we could all go our own directions, without funky-ing up the true and beautiful El-Hazard.  :P
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2003, 02:05:41 pm »

hehe. You said funky-ing. (sorry)

I myself have never seen more than two episodes of EH, but I admire the work and story of EH, so yes, I do not want to kill the currently real EH, and making a spoof of it would be better. So long as I get to be Alielle.   ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Spanner
Forum Moderator
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2003, 03:45:13 pm »

A poll might be a good idea. I don't know how to set up a poll using this message board program (if it's even possible), so I'll just post a few of the more important questions here. Only answer them if you actually intend to play! That will give us a good count of the number of players we'll have. ^_^

1.The game should be set in:

a. OAV continuity El-Hazard. This includes OAV1, OAV2, and the Alternative World. If you want to truncate it to just OAV1, or something like that, select e. Other below.

b. Wanderers continuity El-Hazard. Yay, TV Ifurita! ^_^V

c. Manga continuity El-Hazard. Well, in its favor, a lot of the characters didn't receive a lot of development; that just might be an advantage when planning an RPG.

d. Alternate El-Hazard. If this one gets voted in, we'll need a whole new poll just to work out the particulars. ^_^

e. Other. This can include a rewrite of one of the series that's not different enough to count as an "Alternate" El-Hazard, or perhaps something completely different entirely.

MY SELECTION: a.

Though I'll admit I was sorely tempted by d.

2.Timewise, the game should be set in the

a. past. How far into the past will need to be determined. Have any of the original cast been born yet? Aside from Ifurita, of course. ^_^

b. present. The game will probably start not long after the end of the series.

c. future. The original cast is older, perhaps long dead. They may still have children or descendants running around, though.

d. N/A. If you selected Alternate El-Hazard above, then the actually time period may not even be important.

MY SELECTION: c.

I like the idea of romping around with the gang's descendants.

3.Should players be able to select series characters as the characters that they control?

a. Yes. In fact, ALL players should play series characters, and we should only allow player-created characters if we run out of worthwhile series characters.

b. Yes. However, a player may choose to play a player-created character instead, if they want.

c. No. All players should create their own, new characters. The series characters should be NPCs, and can be used by any player that needs them.

MY SELECTION: c.

a. is good, too, but I don't care much for b.

That's it for the major questions, I think. It would also be wise to choose a moderator for the game. This person could have any of a number of responsibilities, as we choose:

1. They could be responsible for resolving disputes between players. If a player oversteps his or her bounds, it's nice to have someone whose Word is Law in order to prevent things from degenerating into a squabble. Just about all RPG mods can, and should have this power.

2. They could be responsible for keeping the game moving, whether that be by encouraging a lagging plot thread to wrap things up, or injecting a bit of plot when the going gets slow.

3. They could be responsible for coming up with the storyline for the game. This is a big responsibility, much like being the Dungeon Master for a tabletop RPG. And it may not be necessary - there will probably be as many players apt at coming up with storylines of their own as there are players who prefer to follow along with other peoples' storylines.

These are the Judicial, Executive, and Legislative powers of the Mod. What, you were expecting checks and balances? Heck no - the Mod is God, here, and we're all mere monkeys dancing for his/her amusement! ^_^

My suggestion for whoever is chosen as the games Moderator to have category 1 powers, and perhaps category 2, as well. As for 3, I really do think we'll be able to maintain the game on our own.

The 1337 poster
executor82
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2003, 03:56:01 pm »

Another idea I had was that we could do our own El-Hazard spoof, similiar to the Wanderers and Sega Saturn, so that we could all go our own directions, without funky-ing up the true and beautiful El-Hazard.  

That could be taken as the alternate universe thing to make it easier to decide.  ;)

So let me sum up:
There is the point of show chars as NPCs,
and the different time periods, as there were:

past, present, future or alternate universe.

The first should be done as a simple 'yes' or 'no' question. the other with a rating system from 0-3 points, which would be given as the grade you like the period to play.

i.e. my personal opinion:

---------------------------------------
NPCs = yes

a. past= 0
b. present = 1
c. future = 3
d. alternate universe = 2
---------------------------------------

after all we maybe could even open a board for each or swich the period, but that might be kinda chaotic after some time.

The rules are quite good so far and the creation of chars may follow.

;D HOW ABOUT VOTING GUYS?  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines