Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:51:30 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  The Search for Affordable Web Hosting!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Search for Affordable Web Hosting!  (Read 5806 times)
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2006, 04:21:20 pm »

For many years now, I've belonged to a fanfiction community.  Sadly, it has seen better days and most of its members -- including myself in many ways -- have moved on to other things.  However, a friend is looking to modernize the website and forum, and since I used to be in charge of the forum I figure the least I can do is help him in that regard.  The messageboard's last incarnation used VoyForums, but I want to set up something better and have been drawn to phpBB.  However, it requires web hosting, and that is something I have virtually no experience with.  Consequently, I was wondering, are there any web hosts any of you would highly recommend?  I'm looking for something affordable and, excluding self-advertising, ad-free and shouldn't require a lot of space since I only need to host a messageboard.  El-Hazard Online's web host, for example, looks like it would do the job wonderfully.  A free messageboard service might also work, but I haven't been terribly impressed with the few I've seen lately.  Thanks in advance for any help you offer.
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »

Yeah, I haven't had a lot of experience with a great many hosts, and surely there are plenty others could recommend.  For those who don't know, EHOL runs on HasWeb -- http://www.hasweb.com

Even though their lowest plan, the "Average" one, is waaay overkill for a forum (2GB space and 35GB transfer per month :) ), you do get that for $48 dollars a YEAR.  As long as we're talking paid hosts, that's pretty nice.  For a short time I was paying a place called eDataRack.com to store some stuff.  They used to be a horrid ripoff... like $35.40 a year with only 500MB and 2GB transfer or something.  But it looks like they've revised themselves and really bolstered it up so it might even be close to worthwhile.  Ah well.  Just do price <-> feature comparisons.  Even if you don't really need say 2GB of space, but your find that places giving only 200MB want like $50/yr, you might as well save money and get more space.  If nothing else, start hosting something.  :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 11:10:02 pm »

That's definitely alot for an average forum. But if you're going to be hosting tons of image uploads and other files it would be ideal. Of course, if that was the direction you were to go in you might be better off using Simple Machines rather than phpBB. I never was partcularly fond of phpBB, but it's fine for basic stuff.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:04:33 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  After asking around a bit more, an acquaintance recommended AwardSpace.  I'm usually quite suspicious of anything that's free, but it's allegedly okay so, unless I hear otherwise, I'll probably give AwardSpace a try, at least while I'm still figuring out how to actually set-up a forum with php.  If/when I decide to upgrade, I'll likely move to HasWeb.

I never was partcularly fond of phpBB, but it's fine for basic stuff.

With the exception of some HTML lessons and a little bit of Dreamweaver, my web design experience is virtually nil, so "basic" is probably better in this case.    ^^;
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 09:49:17 pm »

Some free hosts are okay to start, but later go pay or become ad-ridden to the point of unusability... or even disappear altogether.  Problem with anything internet is that it can't be free forever without SOMETHING stepping in to dish out cash.  :P  SOMETIMES you get semi-decent results with a service that also has a good foot in the door with a paid alternative "plus" type service, so I dunno.  It all depends.  Just something to remember.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines