Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:48:21 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El Hazard, Year 10
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: El Hazard, Year 10  (Read 35340 times)
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

It is the dream of those who remember.

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 27, 2004, 08:34:38 pm »

El-Hazard Online states the first OVA series was released back in 1995 -- which is actually good, because I thought it was '94, and then I'd have probably missed it by now. Anyway, what that means is 2005 will be the year of El-Hazard's 10 year aniversary!

It's certainly not too early to start planning some form of commemoration, as we're mostly through 2004 by now. I don't have anything figured right now, but we can certainly think of something, from commemorative fanart to contests to (who knows?) a small convention, or some other form of get-toghether. I doubt either AIC or Pioneer USA have something in mind, but just maybe, if we reminded them...

Something I wanted to do right now was to set up a countdown, but I would need a more precise date than just the release year... does anyone have this information?

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 09:07:24 pm »

I will admit, your idea is interesting... but this also requires plenty of coordination.

The offical first time the OAV was shown to Japan was May 26, 1995.  This means...

(does calculations...)

There's about 8 months before it is offically 10 years ago that the OAV (and thus El-Hazard) was born.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:07:45 pm »

Wow, you picked a tough one.  I want to say it was somewhere in September 1995, but that's probably just my US-TV bound mind picking an incorrect month.  Such a shame that I ought to know the precise date.

But given my write-up on the OAV page intro, I must've known this at one time... I'll give it my full attention a bit later this week if no one kicks up an answer by then.

EDIT: Ah, Tim's faster than me.  Good job.  :P

In the meantime, greetings apparent major El-Hazard fan.  I'm interested in your desires to celebrate.  This community needs a kickstart though... it's dried up a bit these past few weeks.  At least I did my part... I gave HasWeb their due $99 for another year today.  ;P
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 09:16:05 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 07:00:08 pm »

I will admit, your idea is interesting... but this also requires plenty of coordination.

It depends on what we are going to do. I don't think we need anything big, I just don't want to let the date slip by. And there are several things we can do on the Internet -- so far I have thought of the following:

* Set up a page -- perhaps inside El-Hazard Online?
* Organize fanfiction and fanart contests on the theme "ten years after";
* On the aniversary day, meet on IRC to do some panel discussions;
* Start a play-by-(IRC or e-mail) RPG campaign;
* Have some Internet radio do a day-long special (I keep thinking about Japan-A-Radio and their Unwound program, but it's just me).

Except perhaps for the last item, it's nothing a couple of people couldn't set up themselves; success will mostly depend on the interest of the fan community.

Of course it would be much cooler if we had something running on the real world as well. This would certainly be harder to implement, but still feasible. If there is some con going on close enough to the date, we might set up a boot there; or we could just arrange an informal meeting among the fans. (I keep saying "us" while I realize how improbable it is for me to take part on anything going on in the USA, not living there and all. Oh well, I can always hope.)

The offical first time the OAV was shown to Japan was May 26, 1995.

I have done some prototyping on the countdown. Currently it takes the current and final time from the client, so it's not very precise -- but I'll get back to it during this weekend, to make it use the server clock instead.

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 07:23:44 pm »

In the meantime, greetings apparent major El-Hazard fan.

Please call me Helio. ;)

I'm interested in your desires to celebrate.

That's good to know! I was a little affraid if anyone would respond. ^^;

This community needs a kickstart though... it's dried up a bit these past few weeks.  At least I did my part... I gave HasWeb their due $99 for another year today.  ;P

I never cease to be amazed on the things people do for the love of seemingly such simple things, like fictional series or hardware standards. My sincere thanks, evident major El-Hazard fan. ;)

-- Zorndyke
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 07:29:04 pm »

Okay.  Well, I don't really know what's feasible, but of course it'd be silly to do anything more than a special page on the site (which is right now seeming to be the best route) unless there's a substantial reply from lost community members.  I'll put the idea on the front page news and see if anyone cares to supply some ideas.  Otherwise... it might just be me, Tim, and you, Helio.  :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 08:02:36 pm »

Well, I don't really know what's feasible, but of course it'd be silly to do anything more than a special page on the site (which is right now seeming to be the best route) unless there's a substantial reply from lost community members.

I keep thinking about how the webmasters of other EH-related sites (like the El-Hazard Fan Listing) could help by providing a link back to the page -- as soon as there is one, that is. ^^; And there's always the El-Hazard mailing list on YahooGroups: although it has mostly stalled in the last months, it still got a relatively large member base -- 161 people exactly -- some of which might be willing to help. Actually I should have posted something there already. -_-

I'll put the idea on the front page news and see if anyone cares to supply some ideas.  Otherwise... it might just be me, Tim, and you, Helio.  :P

Then again, that's two people more than what I get on most of my projects. ;)

-- Zorndyke
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 09:27:26 pm »

Well, I don't visit these forums much, but I do visit the main site frequently as EH is my second-fav anime series.

SmkViper dodges incoming projectiles

But I would be interested in doing something for the 10-year anniversary. I do have a fanfic in mind, but I don't know if I could finish it in just a few months. I tend to take a while with that kind of stuff.

SmkViper looks at his existing fic and flinches

^^;

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
daguru
Dimension Traveler

BRILLIANT!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 05:02:04 pm »

Well, count me in (whatever it may be).

Ya know what? By then, my Groucho Armor would be done (I took a hiatus from it). I could like, do a Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot Live Action bugrom dance thingy.

Jinnai's most trusted henchbug
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 05:35:11 pm »

Ya know what? By then, my Groucho Armor would be done (I took a hiatus from it). I could like, do a Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot Live Action bugrom dance thingy.

Now that's something we don't get to see often. ^^;

But a cosplay contest would be nice... even if we can't actually gather the contestants toghether, we could always ask for pictures and do an Internet poll. I remember that some people at the Unofficial El-Hazard Fan Club used to cosplay... if they only responded to the message I posted there.  :P

-- Zorndyke
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 06:03:34 pm »

But I would be interested in doing something for the 10-year anniversary. I do have a fanfic in mind, but I don't know if I could finish it in just a few months. I tend to take a while with that kind of stuff.

Personally I think it would be alright to accept incomplete works on a contest like this, as long as completeness gives extra points -- "Infinity's End" never got out of my mind, even tough it never made it past the introduction. But I would like to know what the others think of it.

-- Zorndyke
daguru
Dimension Traveler

BRILLIANT!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2004, 06:10:21 pm »

oh, wait a tic. Is there some way we could drag some official El Hazard ppl (voice actors, directors, writers and such) into this?

Maybe, with enough fans.....

Jinnai's most trusted henchbug
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2004, 06:31:56 pm »

I hope I'm not hurrying things, but I think we already brainstormed enough for people start "signing up for tasks",  like we say on eXtreme Programming. It goes like this: if you want to help, please step out and take charge of something. The previous posts have several suggestions of activities, but feel free to propose anything else.

Write an explanation on what you'll do. Try to figure what it will take to get it done. If it's some kind of contest, write down the rules.

Weekly or monthly, publish a little report on your current situation. This is not so anyone can demand anything from you (afterall, we're doing this for fun, aren't we?); it is a way for you to track down your own progress, identify any dificulties, and ask for help right when it is needed.

That's it. Now let's start getting that "something" done.  ;)

-- Zorndyke
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2004, 07:00:15 pm »

oh, wait a tic. Is there some way we could drag some official El Hazard ppl (voice actors, directors, writers and such) into this?

I haven't done it yet, but we can always ask AIC if they know what date is approaching, and if they intend to do something on it. Besides that, anniversaries are good dates for distributors to release "commemorative editions", and make some more money of already finished series -- so both Viz (which published the El-Hazard manga) and Pioneer Animation (which still sells El-Hazard DVD sets) might be interested in the Magnificent World getting some more evidence, even if it is just for a little while.

Will anyone "sign up" for going after these people?

-- Zorndyke
Fujisawa4654
Demon God(ess)

Commander of the UETF, Maj. Gen. Fujisawa!

AOL Instant Messenger - Fujisawa4654
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2004, 07:31:59 pm »

*scratches head*

At least I haven't.. vacated.. yet...

I have no opinion on the subject, although if needed I can brainstorm.. Right now all you smart people are frying my brain...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines