Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:58 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  About "Pic of the Moment"...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: About "Pic of the Moment"...  (Read 4962 times)
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2004, 12:17:06 am »

I have noticed that recently people have not been responding to them as frequently as usual.  It is time that I collect your opinions again.

What can I do to make it better?

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
makoto
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 02:11:50 pm »

Nothing it's okay with me, only thing is that I am making new art and gallery of elhazard which I will soon submit. Okay. :)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 10:13:02 pm »

I think you're doing a great job Tim! This is just one of these things that goes in and out of fashion. Maybe there's a way we can promote it more? I do think the latest ones you're putting together are great though. Random chara against a real background. It makes for some interesting scenarios that never appear in the original series!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 07:38:13 pm »

Late reply.  But I agree with Saucer.  The altered images are very well done.  Even if responses fall off, I hope you keep doing them.

As I've said before, I wouldn't mind if you included characters from other anime.  Maybe with a note that gives their name, or something.  But I'd understand if you'd prefer to keep it El-Hazard only.

I had fun putting together my little Crayna & volcano picture with the GIMP.  I don't know if there would be enough interest to start more Photoshop contests, but maybe you could ask for altered image submissions for the POTM, every once in awhile.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 07:39:15 pm by mrwhat » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 07:55:31 pm »

Wow.  I just got Tim to install GIMP in place of the crappy pirate Photoshop beta we've been hanging onto forever.  :P  (Pirating is wrong kiddies ... but we're denied the best by the fact we can't afford it.)  I was just thinking maybe Photoshop 6 full might be coming up cheap on eBay now that 7 was out ... and that's sort of true, but then GIMP came into mind...

Anyway.  Yeah, this site needs some events.  Part of the problem is I want to move to the new server before I start getting into high gear with things, but here's some other stuff I want resolved:

1) I want to eliminate deadbeat members a la "Spring Cleaning" for those who remember that.  No reason to carry them.  But I accidently had disabled logging for anything besides the forum and that means I had no good record for who was here and who wasn't in the past month (as the SC script is configured.)   ^^;

2) I want the EHAT script ready to go, although currently I have only the questions for the OAV version.  I'm thinking I'll fly with those for now anyway, though.  I'll just make sure it's modular enough to pull in the additional series questions later.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 01:21:32 am »

Hey contests and events are a great idea! I recall Executor82 started a recoloring thread awhile back that got some participation for a little while. That was fun. I'd mentioned before a wallpaper-making contest, and I always meant to get back to that. Come up with some simple rules and such. I will get back in gear with that sooner or later. I don't want to start volunteering people for stuff, but maybe we can get more members organizing and running little mini-contests and such? MrWhat's photoshop idea is great too.

Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

AOL Instant Messenger - holyknightwayne
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 01:54:52 am »

I'd also be up for a PhotoShop-based graphic event of some kind. Not for any sort of competition (I hate competing with people, except for online gaming, heh); but just because it'd be fun, and it's something I don't have reason to do much of these days.

Going back to the "Pic of the Moment" thing... well, to be honest I think you might actually be cluttering things up too much. You tend to have several characters, usually doing different things, plus with a generally unrelated background. It makes the short, witty comments a lot harder to do (like the old Dragon Warrior riff you posted to this one :D).

That's just my opinion, of course. :]

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 02:30:28 am »

It makes the short, witty comments a lot harder to do (like the old Dragon Warrior riff you posted to this one :D)[/font]

Ironically, that was BEFORE he started making his own images; that's an actual screenshot from the Wanderers.  :P

Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 02:55:09 am »

Ironically, that was BEFORE he started making his own images; that's an actual screenshot from the Wanderers.  :P

Ah... yes, I know that. :) My point was that his more recent pictures have the "cluttered" problem, while older snapshots from the series, basically, were the ones that better made for the "witty comments." Such as "Thy Hits decreased by 1!" *chuckles*

This has been the third or fourth time someone's misunderstood what I've been posting. Is it the font? Is it the way I talk/type? Should I try |_|51|\|' |\/|0|23 1337? :D or mayb talk n liek this??
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 02:55:36 am by wayne » Logged

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 11:20:18 am »

Never mind, I misunderstood that you meant his reply to the image rather than the image itself.  :P

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 02:47:20 pm »

My excuse is that I login to EHOL everyday, and only check the pic of the moment thing every week or two. But I go back to the last one I added a comment to and work from there. So apart from any recent ones, I should have posted on all of them.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 09:00:53 pm »

Hey contests and events are a great idea!

Maybe Bob could start another "fan-games" board in the RPG section, for message-board games?  These ideas aren't exactly El-Hazard, but they're not exactly off-topic either.  The Round Robin could go in there, along with altered image topics, fan fiction or fan art challenges, and any other message-board type games that anyone can come up with.

I'd also be up for a PhotoShop-based graphic event of some kind. Not for any sort of competition

Yes, I didn't mean an actual "contest," with voting for entries, and such.  I don't think there are enough active EHOL members for something like that.  I was thinking of something like those hair-coloring topics that Saucer mentioned-- someone posts an original El-Hazard image and a theme, everyone posts as many variations as they want, and then another topic starts after awhile.

I agree-- I don't want to compete.  I just want a place to be goofy in public.

Going back to the "Pic of the Moment" thing... well, to be honest I think you might actually be cluttering things up too much.  You tend to have several characters, usually doing different things, plus with a generally unrelated background.  It makes the short, witty comments a lot harder to do

I do find the complicated images with more than two or three characters (altered or not) to be harder to captionate.  But in those cases, I actually just try to make lame one-line jokes, like this.  Anyway, maybe you could try to post "easier" pictures with fewer characters for awhile, and see if you get more responses.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 11:30:36 pm »

Yes, I didn't mean an actual "contest," with voting for entries, and such.  I don't think there are enough active EHOL members for something like that.  I was thinking of something like those hair-coloring topics that Saucer mentioned-- someone posts an original El-Hazard image and a theme, everyone posts as many variations as they want, and then another topic starts after awhile.

That's a good idea! I've seen messageboards like that before, where they take a random image (like two cats fighting) and everyone has a go at it with Photoshop (or whatever).

Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2004, 03:29:45 pm »

That latest one wasn't too bad. Made me think of "Office Space" right off, heh. *chuckles*

And... any ideas regarding the PhotoShop/image editing suggestions?

-Manfred von Rich
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2004, 10:40:04 pm »

That latest one wasn't too bad. Made me think of "Office Space" right off, heh. *chuckles*

"Exthcuthe me! I bulieve yew haff mah thtapler! Itth a Thwingline!"

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines