Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:00:07 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Fanfic inquiry O.o
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fanfic inquiry O.o  (Read 4755 times)
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

Waaaa~~~aah! What is this..???? ~Help...

AOL Instant Messenger - TVIfurita
View Profile
« on: November 14, 2003, 04:00:09 pm »

Uhm, yeah. Sorry.

I assume everyone here knows lots about El Hazard fanfiction, right?

Well, my question in particular deals about these. While Dooky resulted FAR better than I ever could and even had some ideas I had, some idea of mine STILL does not want to leave my head. Which is why I'll probably, after more than two years, I'm going to put it down, else it'll haunt me to death.

Now, that'd be pointless if I'd just end up writing a clone. Which is why I carefully looked at Dookys one and am now satisfied thinking I did not completely made a clone. Despite having one common element >_<'

Well, question would be:
-are there any good ElHazard Fanfics specially dealing with the Holy War? Especially about its participants, Arjah, the Eye of God, Demon Gods, Kalia, and so on?
-are there any major finished Fanfics dealing with the phantom tribe and any possible plan of theirs? =)

Uhm, sorry if I sound dumb. Its just that I don't remember every fanfic, and lack the time to read everyone, so I rather ask. If that was stupid to ask, jhust delete this topic. ^^'

Evil is about being nice!

Cleaning Cleaning! Fix Fix! Cleaning Cleaning!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 04:50:57 pm »

Most likely the man you want is Mark Engels, who happens in time to time.  He's got like the whole of best El-Hazard fanfiction in this database of a brain.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 06:52:45 pm »

I've seen a few stories that included flashbacks to the Holy Wars, but I don't believe that I've ever seen a story that dealt with that as its primary subject. I remember one story hypothesized that Makoto's parents originally came from the Holy Wars era, where his mother was a Great Priestess and his father (from Earth) gained incredible creative genius when he came to El-Hazard and was responsible for designing both Ifurita and the Eye of God, among countless other things. Ken Wolfe's "Earth" series and its associated spinoffs occasionally dipped into the Holy Wars era, explaining things like how Ifurita and Kalia were created.

I think that you should be safe. If you're worried about copying the work of others, don't be. Even if your ideas run close to theirs, they will be different, because you are a very different person, Alexei (and I do mean that in the best possible way ^^; ).

But what I want to know is whatever happened to that El-Hazard fanfic that you were writing so long ago and I helped to edit... I barely remember what it was about, but I remember that I liked it a lot, and was hoping that you'd continue it.

The 1337 poster
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 01:17:18 am »

Well more or less primarily dealing with the holy war, in the sense that it'd have a big chunk dealing with that. ^^ Not in the sense of "its just there", more like "lets solve it, lets make a possible and fitting version of it, including stuff about demons, and fit that into a big story".

Only "holy war" would spoil my fun. You know. Since, you will know that I really have this nasty habit of wanting to include one or two particular characters from a particular picture and a particular radio drama and just plot how to do so properly and then building everything around it. Which shows, since I just bought two EH things because it had said character on it ^_^'''
She's on two avatars by now. XD And besides, I always thought that Fatora and her would make atleast one very hilarious scene.

aaaanyhow, as for said fanfic: Its pretty much this, in a total story that made sense. I really like a coherent ackstory nowadays and a stream of logic behind it(well, I don't mind chance encounters sometimes, but its moe like that I dislike the alternative world type of "okay lets just have things happen randomly and hope they add up to a plot" - which would have happened to said old one. I think my new turning of said one should turn out better, although I am not totally sure of it.)

It IS, however, basically the same base idea.
Just remade. XD

Which is, like, totally obvious. I have to write for HER.^^'

Thats what happened to the old one. The old devilish fate of any story I write, then discontinue, and then go back to it: I'll always be embarassed by it to the point of not wanting to read it again and thus just write the basic premise again in a slightly altered way.
I don't know why my own work embarasses me like that. I probably just am too picky^^

AAAAAAAANYHOW! Thanks a LOT for the help or reassurance. I'd not think that way XD *shrugs* which makes this thread pointless now. Waah.

*prints out your posting for future references and goes off happily copying Dookys great story XD*

yeah, the "very different" is taken as a compliment, even if you hadn't said it >=3

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 09:05:58 am »

Well, I'll probably be doing a work featuring at least a window of the holy war directly.  But that's a while off.

mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 12:24:12 pm »

Most likely the man you want is Mark Engels, who happens in time to time.  He's got like the whole of best El-Hazard fanfiction in this database of a brain.

http://echoalpha.com/fanfic/ElHazard_links.html

Henry Ford was once asked by a visitor a question about his company's financing.  He simply smiled and picked up the phone to call someone from his accounting department.  Within a couple minutes he had the answer and gave it to his visitor.  "Shouldn't you know that yourself?" the visitor asked incredulously.  Ford was said to have replied, "Son, I don't need to know these things.  I only need to call whom I pay to know for me."

And so it is with me.  Most of what I know about EH fan fiction comes from Eric's list of links here.  

Ken Wolfe's "Earth" and it's spinoffs deal with the Holy Wars from mostly Ifurita's point of view.  It is a fascinating read, however, as it plumbs the depths of how evil the old world's principals were toward their minions and toward each other.  And being told in the third person, usually by Ifurita herself, we get an idea of just how deep the wounds of war ran through her and through the entire society.

Adcock's own The Charm also introduces additional characters from the Holy Wars.  An enjoyable read and historically interesting.  Recommended.

--me

Mark Engels
Signal Technician
Local 14  Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen
CN Rail
Valparaiso, Indiana  USA

tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 12:45:47 pm »

GOOD that you posted that. I apparently a)need to completely read the Wolfe-Story again, and b)change my plot considerably. ^_^ Since I had a similar thing with another character. And thats a no-no ^^'

Thankyou T_T Good that I asked, I didn't know that it was like that. XD *shortens the entire Holy War part extremely, as no fic save Dookys can stand against Wolfe's Oo'* *shrugs and cuts a chapter away*
*now wonders if he should completely disregard alternative world too XD*

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 08:10:59 pm »

*now wonders if he should completely disregard alternative world too XD*

I wanted to do that... but it was generally argued something to the point of you're a sort of wuss for not trying to work with what already exists and just creating your own material.  Or something like that.

tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 12:57:01 am »

Ohwell. Time to think what to do with Quawoor and Parnasse then ^^ Quawoor  - bootcamp? She certainly needs training. Hum hom...

dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 07:42:10 am »

Parnasse is really difficult to do anything with. I had to come up with an entirely separate plot thread to keep him occupied. Maybe you could do something like teaming him up with Makoto? He didn't seem to like Makoto much, so it could be funny.

And don't worry about treading on other people's ideas. That's just how fanfic works... I worried about it myself, but there are only so many things you can do with a series.

Your mentioning the Holy War does remind me of something though... a line I cut from The Shape of Things to Come, about how many Ifuritas there were. I mentioned three (the original, the first copy, and more successful OAV2 copy, aka Three), but there was also supposed to be a fourth- a modified Ifurita who had some 'software issues'. I'll leve you to guess who this could be ^_^

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 09:43:26 am »

but there was also supposed to be a fourth- a modified Ifurita who had some 'software issues'. I'll leve you to guess who this could be ^_^

Anything like this? ...

tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 03:16:31 pm »

*mutters REALLY nasty curses about a certain Fatora-loving persons, rips a paper to shreds, and has to rethink a certain girl's past*

^^''' It sucks XD
Yes, of course that character would be mentioned. Yes, I am lame XD

As for Parnasse, I guess I'll merely send him back to where he came from. I have most of the characters in fairly important positions already(well, even including Fatora, for a while XD Yeah I like her lots too!), and mostly in groups, and he doesn't fit into any. He'd probably be funny glomping on a certain character, but two other characters will do that, so he'd just be bland. Most of the things between him and Fatora have been done as well. As for Kauru, yeah, I guess I'll know what to do with her. I won't have her appear most of the time, only when it makes sense to do so. I just can't write for her, especially not after a certain incident on a certain ML ^^''''
I even found a role for Rune. Take THAT XD

Ohwell. Since most of the planning for my chapters is done, I guess I should just write some up and get ripped apart by everyone. I wouldn't even know where to put it ^^' Where would I? ^^'  

Anyhow...

*just glomps the screenshots and doesn't let go*
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 03:18:35 pm by tvifurita » Logged

Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 08:18:43 pm »

Write a harrowing account of Jinnai's escape from a sex-on-the-brain Bugrom queen and his descent into abandon as he's forced to coexist with his archnemesis!

... Oh, wait. Nevermind! ^_^V

LGJ, stop dry-clicking your revolver at me.

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines