Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:26:21 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Wanderers Manga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Wanderers Manga  (Read 4385 times)
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

Waaaa~~~aah! What is this..???? ~Help...

AOL Instant Messenger - TVIfurita
View Profile
« on: November 25, 2003, 09:44:14 am »

Now that I have my evil hands on this item, I'll talk a bit about it. Hwee ^^

First thing I noticed was that the artist who did the cover s was  not among the original artists - Jinnai looks different. ifurita doesn't, so I don't care.

The manga pretty much covers the entire series(with one noticable exception, see below), as it seems, and includes several of the Wanderers-related design scetches also featured in various artbooks(who all are up on this site).

Inside the manga starts with some color pages - not of the actual story but of other things. Character profiles, a miniposter of Nanami and Rune, Screenshots from the anime, the like. Some of the artwork there I know, some I do not.

The manga itself seems indeed to be an amalgation of monochromed cels and drawn stuff.
I can tell, because there are two types of panels in there, and the complicated area images/the ones of many people etc are all of one type and look really like I remember them from the anime. Exactly actually. So thats the Cel portion. One in four panels, roughly, is like that, not sure on the actual amount. The others seem to be drawn - close to the anime(notable in Ifuritas expression when she confronts Shayla and Makoto in the bugrom hive), but apparently drawn, and not just a cel - since you see the dots mangaka use to shade(you know these, eh? ^^)

All good eh? not really.
Apparently, most things I like about the anime isn't even in there - yep I cvhecked if they're the correct number(yep), and the fifth ends as wanderers does.

What is missing? Well.
-The episode which had Jinnai take control of Ifurita
-Ifurita and her whirlwind expierince.
-Ifurita and her city-blowing-up expierince
-Ifurita and her sneaking-in-and-taking-to-holiday expierince.
-Nanami taking over the bugrom(and Ifurita).

To me it looks as if the manga should have been 6 volumes, not 5. And yes, it does annoy me that all that was cut contains Ifurita in one way or another. Grrr. >=/
Atleast the speech she delivers in the bugrom hive is in there, else I'd have gone ballistics XD

I'll scan a couple of pages later for this site. Weekend I think. Just tell me the quality you need. And also which images you'd prefer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 09:45:07 am by tvifurita » Logged

Evil is about being nice!

Cleaning Cleaning! Fix Fix! Cleaning Cleaning!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 11:16:07 am »

Inside the manga starts with some color pages - not of the actual story but of other things. Character profiles, a miniposter of Nanami and Rune, Screenshots from the anime, the like. Some of the artwork there I know, some I do not.

The manga itself seems indeed to be an amalgation of monochromed cels and drawn stuff.

I'll scan a couple of pages later for this site. Weekend I think. Just tell me the quality you need. And also which images you'd prefer.

The color pages would be nice.  Then you might want to scan at least a few random pages (maybe make them funny looking ones or something ;) ).  Generally the site standard has been 150dpi scanning for full pages.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 01:57:27 pm »

I shall do so, master-admin. ^_^
Tho I'll obviously pick the Ifurita (and Shayla ^^ no worry, Tsukasa) pages among the non-color ones. As for the color ones - 150 dpi as well? are you sure? We at Snoopycool even use 300 dpi for the manga...and even more for the color ^^' So I just want to backcheck.

What about pixel sizes? 1150 height?

Anyhow, at weekend I'll try to get all the color pages done. And some other pages as well. And I am still miffed. More Ifurita. Meh =/ I hope they can be pressed hard enough to get most of the pages without harming the manga - despite its lack of Ifuritaness(only some appearances in 2 volumes are not enough!) it still is a collectors item, after all =) If not, then the pages won't be complete, but that should be okay too, I guess... and if it works well, I might even end up scanning vol 4 and 5... but most likely not the others for obvious reasons.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 10:01:13 pm »

That's a rather interesting doujinshi creation. "Film Comics," manga created using screenshots from the anime, are pretty common. I have a Megazone 23 one and a Urusei Yatsura one. But I've never heard of an amalgamation of monochromed cells and doujinshi. Is it Japanese in origin?

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 12:47:48 am »

That's a rather interesting doujinshi creation. "Film Comics," manga created using screenshots from the anime, are pretty common. I have a Megazone 23 one and a Urusei Yatsura one. But I've never heard of an amalgamation of monochromed cells and doujinshi. Is it Japanese in origin?

As far as I know, there's nothing except the US DVDs and the rereleased Tsubara mangas that isn't of Japanese origin.  Yes, these "Film Comics" were mentioned on the great Oze's site so long ago.  Just a way to make an extra buck on rereleasing the same material, y'know?

What about pixel sizes? 1150 height?  

At 150dpi, many of our books actually scan with at least that height.  (Check 'em out for yourself.)  One of my concerns of going into 300dpi and up is the sheer size of the files.  Even as a JPEG with standard compression, a 300dpi full-page scan can get into an entire megabyte, which is a bit much for just a single page.   ^^;  I mean, I don't think we really need them to be so high quality as to run a reprint pirate shop, right?  ;)

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 03:32:14 am »

Saucer, its not a doujinshi as I see it. ^^ Seems to be pretty official. I am, as said, not sure what it exactly is, but it seems to be both, due the implemention of these "grey dot" things I don't know the english name of. These are not featured on cels ^^

And Rob - I'm not working at a reprint site either ^_-
To reprint, you should scan around 600 dpi, as far as I know. The raws get to 25MB and more. Thats why TheHawks managed to get a manga volume release with the size of 600MB once(yep, 200 pages). Tho they don't exactly encourage reprinting either. =P

As for actual pages...with 300dpi they usually go around 200k/b. A manga chapter is around 3MB - 20 pages. Calculate =) But kay kay,  1150 it is then.

Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 04:40:34 pm »

I have something just called "Azumanga" (not Azumanga Daioh but drawn by the same artist) which does show small 4 panel comics of EL-Hazard some even cg'ed

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 10:40:29 pm »

Saucer, its not a doujinshi as I see it. ^^ Seems to be pretty official. I am, as said, not sure what it exactly is, but it seems to be both, due the implemention of these "grey dot" things I don't know the english name of. These are not featured on cels ^^

Ah, I see. That's interesting! So, this was produced AIC and/or Pioneer LDC?

BTW, the dots you're reffering to are "screentone." Since manga artists are often expected to meet inhuman deadlines, screentone is one way for them to hurry the job along without collapsing from overwork. Screentone are sheets of clear, sticky plastic that can be cut and pasted down on pages instead of doing the shading by hand. The most common screentone patterns are dots of various size and density (for various shades). Screentone can also feature other patterns, designs and even random reprintings from english newspapers and books. These are often used to make quick backgrounds or fill in a less common costume on a chara (such as pajamas).

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 12:50:23 am »

It seems to be done by AIC/pioneer from the logos. Rob said it was done by them to make more money from the cels ^^.

Oh and I know what screentone is ^_- I just didn't know the english word. The german one would be "rasterfolie", which roughly would mean something like screen plastic ^^'

Which wouldn't have helped to be mentioned here, as I doubt anyone would have known what I meant. I've even used such a thing for fun once. ^^

dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 05:39:40 am »

As for me, I worship screentone. It's called Rasterfolianism ^_^

(apologies, I couldn't resist it)

the dooky

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines