Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:22:24 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Karaoke!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Karaoke!  (Read 6257 times)
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2003, 04:50:26 am »

Right now, I have a sheet in front of me with the Japanese lyrics to Boys Be Free. Yes, tonight is karaoke night at the Warwick Anime Society, and despite being cursed with a voice several octaves lower than the lovely Kozakura-san, I'm going to give it my best shot (I feel it's my duty as the society's chief yuri advocate). So bering in mind the horror that my fellow anime fans will have to endure tonight, which El-Hazard song would you choose to delight and/or traumatise your friends?

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 07:43:24 am »

Heh. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the literal translation of the Japanese lyrics for "Boys Be Free" are rather less suggestive of yuri than the English version, "Back in Love". Shouldn't you be singing that, instead? ;)

And it's tough to find a song more suitable for traumatizing your friends then either "Boys Be Free" OR "Back in Love". Still, I'd probably go with "Clever", the English version of the closing theme to "The Wanderers", which is at least as kitschy, and has the added bonus of sticking around in your head for days after hearing it! Ah, yes, what a great way to transform close friends into hated enemies... :P

The 1337 poster
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 08:11:35 am »

I personally always liked Illusion (especially since I worked on the Sega Saturn project which uses it as an ending song), that's a favorite of mine.  Not very traumatizing though.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2003, 09:38:17 am »

Well, the difference is that Back in Love isn't gender specific, whereas Boys Be Free is being sung to a boy (the message being that she wouldn't mind if he was a girl). Actually, interpretation of the song kind of varies depending on which translation you believe. Besides, I'll have the end theme's graphics playing behind me, which are ridiculously yuri even if the song isn't ^_^ I don't think I'm quite cruel enough to inflict the English version on people though...

Incidentally, if you think Boys Be Free is inappropritae for a lesbian character, the end theme to that masterpiece of yuri psycological fanservice, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland, has an even more confusing end theme. Miyuki spends the entire anime in a fantasy world populated by lesbians, and the end theme is... about stealing someone else's boyfriend? Well, that's CLAMP for you ^_^

Makoto Mizuhara
Dimension Traveler

Mak-Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2003, 11:05:04 am »

Kashimashi Shugyou, definately that one is my favorite.  If I only had to choose one EH related song...

That or 13 gatsu no kakumei...

Seeing as Karaoke is the only actual con-related activity I still participate in actively at cons, with the occassional panel (mainly if I'm on said panel).

You name it, Jrock, Jpop, Eurodance, Japanese lyrics, English Lyrics, etc; I've prolly done it at a con.

Which has led to some interesting stage shows...  ;)

El-Hazard Information, collected with TLC because of OCD...

(http://www.geocities.com/MakotosMWO/) http://www.el-hazardonline.net
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2003, 03:54:27 pm »

Well, OF COURSE 13 Gatsu no Kakumei. ;p

Nothing of Alternative World has grabbed Neil save for that song... I don't think anyone couldn't like it.

But truth be told I'd respect Japanese lyrics of the EH musics much better if I'm given a translation for them.  Nothing scares me more than to not know exactly what Gold Finger is about, knowing it's "Fatora" singing, even though I love the song itself.  (Why karaoke of that is quite handy.)

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2003, 07:32:24 pm »

I sing along with Jinnai's song (at original pitch) and Afura's song (an octave lower) fairly often, while I'm driving.  Probably at least once a week.  But I've never tried to karaoke them.

I've only done bar karaoke a few times.  I don't usually go to bars, and the karaoke DJs in central Illinois have two kinds of music-- country and Western  :P

On a sort of related note, this story is making the blogs:
Killer song claims another victim in Caloocan KTV bar

But truth be told I'd respect Japanese lyrics of the EH musics much better if I'm given a translation for them.

I'm still working on my translations of Jinnai's song and Afura's song.  Give me just another few weeks.
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2003, 08:19:41 pm »

Definatly 13 gatsu no kakumei it got stuck in my friends head for about a week lol much so he had to borrow my Alt world CD just to listen to it

I myself prefer the OVA2 intro theme and OVA1 intro though that has no words :P

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2003, 09:11:35 pm »

I'm still working on my translations of Jinnai's song and Afura's song.  Give me just another few weeks.

Just Jinnai's song will make you my hero for life.  Afura's is bonus though.

dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2003, 05:52:21 am »

Ah, 13 Gatsu no Kakumei- a classic. The other EH song that is truly great is Love Mania. It's one of the few redeeming features of Alternative world Ep 13... well, that and Alielle and Fatora's bikinis ^_^

Incidentally, karaoke went quite well, and ended with everyone singing Soramimi Cake from Azumanga Daioh...

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2003, 08:28:00 am »

It's one of the few redeeming features of Alternative world Ep 13... well, that and Alielle and Fatora's bikinis ^_^

You call those "bikinis"?  They're like halfway to leather dominatrix suits.  :P

panicpaladin
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 12:59:23 pm »

I liked Illusion but if I had to go with a favourite El-Hazard song, it'd be the Opening Theme to Alternative World... That song has something about it that I like, I can't put my finger on it.
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 05:48:09 pm »

If there's an El-Hazard vocal song that I've sung time and time again, it's "Back in Love". Loudly. Insanely out of tune. To male friends... Yeah, I have issues.  

And, yes, one day, I will record my hideous singing to the karaoke version of Boys Be Free found on the 6CD boxset. And yes, dear viewer, I will plaster it all over the site. Oh yes.

However, more seriously, I'd definitely have a bash at singing "Overflowing" (English) in tune. I love the general feel of the song, and the lyrics only add to this.

Of course, all the vocal tracks kinda suck when compared to Seikou Nagaoka's beautiful instrumental score, but hey, whatever. ;)

Maximum boobage!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2003, 06:58:54 pm »

the Opening Theme to Alternative World... That song has something about it that I like, I can't put my finger on it.

Yup.  In case you didn't know, that's "13 Gatsu no Kakumei" ("13th Month Revolution" I think is the rough translation of that)

Of course, all the vocal tracks kinda suck when compared to Seikou Nagaoka's beautiful instrumental score, but hey, whatever. ;)

Amen.  :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2003, 06:59:41 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2003, 03:35:00 am »

Goldfinger! LOL

I hear, at Fanime they give an award to the person who goes off the most at karoke. It's two superballs in a little bag.  ;D Dom from www.megatokyo.com won it this year.

Chiisana Hana is my favorite ending, for reasons you can probably imagine. ^_^; Wow, I still couldn't believe when I downloaded it, that track is over 30 minutes long. Yuri Amano rules!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines