Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:04:34 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  How were you hooked?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: How were you hooked?  (Read 9729 times)
Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2003, 05:08:53 pm »

First watched it back when I was a senior in high school, years ago.  Thought the ending was one of the bestest things ever.  Still do, actually.  

Eventually watched Wanderers when that came out, as well as the first tape for OVA2.  I didn't finish OVA2 until I picked up the DVD boxset, since it's never really impressed me that much.  I also have the first VHS tape from when they were rereleased with the new covers.

Hmm, just occured to me that I've never watched the Alternative World.  Guess the period in between Ifurita's descent into the Eye of God and her retrieval from Earth just doesn't appeal to me that much.  I want more of Makoto's Ifurita!

"I expect this battle to be entertaining, Captain. Now get inside, so we can get this thing underway. I want to see some wai-wai lovely violence within a few minutes." - Major Melanie Melissa Masterson III
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 07:58:25 pm »

1970s/1980s:  KPLR, channel 11, out of St. Louis, runs Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets in the 1970s.  Also runs Galaxy Rangers in the 1980s-- not Japanese animation, but very anime-ish.  Eric enjoys all three series.

Mid 1980s:  KETC, channel 9, out of St. Louis, runs Doctor Who.  Eric becomes a Doctor Who fan boy during high school.  What's anime?

Late 1980s:  Eric collects reprints of the manga Mai The Psychic Girl.  Otherwise fails to show any special interest in anime during college.

Early 1990s:  Eric collects Cerebus and The Sandman comics, and mostly gives up comics when Sandman ends.  Also goes to see The Crow too many times, begins listening to the Cure, and actually goes goth for one embarrassing weekend in 1995.  What's anime?

Mid to late 1990s:  Eric rents tapes of Castle of Cagliostro, Vampire Hunter D, and one or two other anime tapes.  Enjoys those two movies, but there isn't any other anime to rent in Springfield IL or Bloomington IL at the time.

May 1998:  Eric makes an ass of himself on two or three Internet mailing lists at the same time.  Unsubscribes from all mailing lists, and swears off Usenet forever.

May 2001:  Eric finally rents Princess Mononoke.  It doesn't exactly become a favorite, but it finally triggers a real interest in anime.

June 2001:  Eric finally buys a DVD player.  Also begins downloading fansubs of Kodomo No Omocha, Love Hina and Excel Saga, and anime music videos.

July 2001:  Eric buys his first anime DVD, Castle Of Cagliostro, from Best Buy.  Orders his second anime DVD, Vampire Hunter D, through the Internet.  Receives a Playboy video by mistake.  Returns the Playboy DVD for an exchange-- think of that what you will.

August 2001:  Eric begins studying Japanese, after picking up a few words from fansubs despite himself.

September 2001:  Eric spends a weekend in Champaign-Urbana IL, and brings his DVD player with him.  Rents a handful of anime DVDs, more or less at random, from That's Rentertainment (possibly the best video rental store on the planet).  One rental was the first four episodes of the first El-Hazard OVA.  Eric watches this, and thinks, huh, that was pretty good.  I'll have to watch the rest of that sometime soon.

November 2001:  Eric orders the El-Hazard OVAs through the Internet.

December 2001:  Eric begins surfing El-Hazard sites on the Internet.  Develops an unhealthy obsession with OVA-Ifurita.

January 2002:  Eric orders Alternative World volume 1 DVD.  Decides El-Hazard is officially his favorite anime.

February 2002:  Eric orders the rest of the Alt World DVDs.  Disappointed with the rest of Alt World, but this does little to curb his enthusiasm for the franchise in general.

March/April 2002:  Eric orders the Wanderers DVDs.  For an OVA-Ifurita fan-boy, he has surprisingly little trouble accepting and enjoying the TV-Ifurita character.  He also begins writing anime fan fiction, at the tender age of 32.

May 2002:  Eric posts his first batch of fan fiction to FanFiction.net.  Also subscribes to the Yahoo! El-Hazard mailing list, the first mailing list he takes in several years.

July? 2002:  Eric finally registers with eBay, for the purpose of buying El-Hazard junk.

January 2003:  Eric registers with EHOL, begins socializing on an Internet forum for the first time in several years, and proceeds to make an ass of himself on a semi-regular basis.

June 2003:  Eric posts a message to said forum, carefully researching his journals to establish a time-line, and pretentiously writing it in the third person.
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2003, 08:49:16 pm »

January 2003:  Eric registers with EHOL, begins socializing on an Internet forum for the first time in several years, and proceeds to make an ass of himself on a semi-regular basis.

I still don't know why you keep saying this.  :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2003, 12:31:12 am »

Early 1990s:  Eric collects Cerebus and The Sandman comics, and mostly gives up comics when Sandman ends.  Also goes to see The Crow too many times, begins listening to the Cure, and actually goes goth for one embarrassing weekend in 1995.  What's anime?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! MrWhat, you should join Sarah and I in our l337 Closet Goth Guild!!!

::goes back to blasting :wumpscut: CDs to piss off his stupid ass neighbors::

Also gives me an idea for another thread. Everyone head on over to the non-EH section!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2003, 06:17:41 pm »

MrWhat, you should join Sarah and I in our l337 Closet Goth Guild!!!

Sure, I'll sign up for that.  That was part of my initial attraction to OVA-Ifurita.  I still have a thing for pale angst-ridden women in black  :P

::goes back to blasting :wumpscut: CDs to piss off his stupid ass neighbors::

Near the end of my college career, I used to play My Bloody Valentine to clear the room  ::)
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2003, 09:53:27 pm »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome! MrWhat, you should join Sarah and I in our l337 Closet Goth Guild!!!

That's right! Everyone should join us! You KNOW you WANT to!

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2003, 12:21:02 am »

Near the end of my college career, I used to play My Bloody Valentine to clear the room  ::)

LOL!

That's right, Princess Sarahphim!! Now, repeat after me:

::grabs CD booklet and start reciting Nosferatu lyrics for no apparent reason::

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2003, 07:58:17 am »

*Imagines himself as a goth, and chuckles*

Still, I must admit that I'm rather fond of wearing black... :P

The 1337 poster
Andrusi
Bugrom Forces

Powerlink!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2003, 11:25:28 am »

::stands in the right place, with a long enough lever, to move a thread back on-topic, but pushes the wrong way::

Oh, well.  Anyway, I'm here because Rob posted at MoogleMB about EHPC, and I thought "Hey, Rob actually did something, I'd better investigate."  I downloaded, I played, I died at Ifurita's Tomb four times before I finally thought of taking one of the priestesses (before that I just took Rune, Allielle, Nanami, and drunk Fujisawa in various combinations).  Intrigued, I started looking around the site linked to in his sig (i.e. EHOL)  and decided that this El-Hazard thing was interesting, though I wasn't sure I wanted to follow it to any significant degree, though.  Then I found the forum and there was no escape.  ;D

Which leads me to today, and I'm still trying to find some way to actually watch some form of El-Hazard without going broke or resorting to a file-sharing service.  (I've searched for El-Hazard on KaZaA, but I felt bad about downloading actual episodes.  I did pick up Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot, though.  :P)  DVD prices are so inflated...

ANDRUSI

Sanity not included.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2003, 11:42:11 am »

eBay man.  The DVD boxset once came up for $1 (starting bid, no reserve) O_o;;

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2003, 12:55:30 pm »

eBay man.  The DVD boxset once came up for $1 (starting bid, no reserve) O_o;;

And a "Buy it Now" tag? ;D

Seriously, though, e-bay is a nice place to look for stuff. But while a box set might show up for a buck, I sincerely doubt it would stay that price for long. Do you know off-hand what it eventually sold for? I would guess something along the lines of $80 to $90 - which is, sadly, still well outside the means of the casual anime fan.

It never hurts to try, though!

The 1337 poster
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2003, 08:28:48 am »

Hmm, just occured to me that I've never watched the Alternative World.  Guess the period in between Ifurita's descent into the Eye of God and her retrieval from Earth just doesn't appeal to me that much.  I want more of Makoto's Ifurita!

So for your consideration, let me present Ken Wolfe's work:

http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/fanfic.html

Some have said that if ever there were an OVA 3 that Ken has already written the screenplay.  His "Earth" and "Reunited" stories give an engaging and satisfying account of the struggles Makoto and Ifurita face even after their reunion and the challenges that face all the cast members in the years to come.  It was after reading the first few manga issues and reading Ken's work that I decided to pick up the OVAs on DVD.  

I am a big fan of Makoto's Ifurita myself, so found Ken's work to be very enjoyable.  I believe so too shall you.

BTW: In 1986 was running home every day after school to watch Robotech before I even knew what "anime" was.  :)  The Palladium Books "paper n' dice" Robotech RPG was a significant pastime for my friends and I in college.  And of course I've got a bookshelf full of the McKinney novels.  So I found your UN Spacy links interesting to say the least.  ;)

--me

Mark Engels
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2003, 12:31:24 pm »

How many many times you've mentioned Wolfe's work, and yet I've never taken the time to read ANY of it.

But of this latest mention, I ask, is it all based after reuniting with Ifurita?  If it is, then at least I know I don't have to read it in concideration of things I'm currently working on.

Shade
Background Character

Infinite Incarnation

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2003, 09:53:04 pm »

So for your consideration, let me present Ken Wolfe's work:

http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/fanfic.html

Some have said that if ever there were an OVA 3 that Ken has already written the screenplay.  His "Earth" and "Reunited" stories give an engaging and satisfying account of the struggles Makoto and Ifurita face even after their reunion and the challenges that face all the cast members in the years to come.  It was after reading the first few manga issues and reading Ken's work that I decided to pick up the OVAs on DVD.  

I am a big fan of Makoto's Ifurita myself, so found Ken's work to be very enjoyable.  I believe so too shall you.

BTW: In 1986 was running home every day after school to watch Robotech before I even knew what "anime" was.  :)  The Palladium Books "paper n' dice" Robotech RPG was a significant pastime for my friends and I in college.  And of course I've got a bookshelf full of the McKinney novels.  So I found your UN Spacy links interesting to say the least.  ;)

--me

Mark Engels

I read it several years ago, actually, though amusingly enough, Reunited was the first part that I stumbled on.  ;)  I tracked down the rest on fanfiction.net shortly thereafter.  I hadn't read Prime Candidate or Rough Justice though.  Pity there's no real way to slide Rough Justice into Earth Chapter Six, as the real villian was fairly obvious to anyone who's read all of Earth.  Still both of them were excellent reads.

Macross... isn't Robotech.  It really isn't.  I have fond, faded memories of RT, but Macross is a different beast.  

Even if I don't like our mechanics system.  

And our wrong stats (for the moment.)

"I expect this battle to be entertaining, Captain. Now get inside, so we can get this thing underway. I want to see some wai-wai lovely violence within a few minutes." - Major Melanie Melissa Masterson III
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2003, 07:38:46 pm »

i saw a ad for EL-Hazard in a pioneer promo book in a comic shop the drawings looked nice but at the times the main thing that pulled me was it said "From the same team that brought you Tenchi Muyo!"  So i thought I'd give it a try when it came out in the end I picked it up and watched it ^_^ from then on it was "Tenchi What now?"

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines