Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:46:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  I love these things...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: I love these things...  (Read 8928 times)
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« on: May 08, 2003, 12:33:11 pm »

During my 7th period class, we needed to answer 8th grade questionaires.

The three most common questions are:

"Are there plenty of (add synonyms for good looking or hot)girls in your school?"

"Is High School hard?"

"Is it easy to get a girlfriend?"

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 03:53:23 pm »

No offence, but those questions are pointless.  :-/

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 04:08:04 pm »

Yes they are!

Thank you for playing this game!

Seriously, that's the point.  Many of the kids prefer to know if there is hot girls (which I clearly can't define myself because my views are different from others) over if the school can give them a good education.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 08:21:46 pm »

During my 7th period class, we needed to answer 8th grade questionaires.

The three most common questions are:

"Are there plenty of (add synonyms for good looking or hot)girls in your school?"

"Is High School hard?"

"Is it easy to get a girlfriend?"

I like how HOT CHICKS are a PRIORITY when selecting a high school 9_9  no worries about the EDUCATION end of it...

If they weren't just immature 8th grade males I'd have a fit... unfortunately... guys don't get much better when they are older :p

With guys it's all chicks and football even when they get "older..."  :p

Sometimes I think that if I knew what the world was like when I was younger I would have developed my BODY instead of my MIND... heh but I made my choice and I guess I'm better for it... though sometimes I wonder...

No one wants the 3.92 GPA, summa cum laude, National Honor Society, college grad, girl... they want the easy chick who works in the beauty parlor... feh

I'm glad YOU see that there's a problem with that kind of thinking Tim... but then... you're a smart guy who focuses on developing his mind like I did... that and you know I'd beat the snot out of you for disrespecting women ^_^ -- one of these days I'm gonna pop Joe one... (our youngest brother for those who don't know).

Stick with the smart girls Tim... you'll be better for it... no one will fight you for 'em for one ^_^;

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2003, 10:09:57 am »

If they weren't just immature 8th grade males I'd have a fit... unfortunately... guys don't get much better when they are older :p

With guys it's all chicks and football even when they get "older..."  :p

Heh.  I think you're painting with an awfully wide brush there, Kathy.  ;)

Some conversations I've had with Rob via email suggest that in many ways I was much like him when I was in high school.  I was interested in science and trains and Robotech (which was before I even knew what the word "anime" meant) which didn't mix well with the prevailing demographics.  Mellencamp could have written a song about the sleepy little Michigan town I hailed from.  In school if you weren't a football player or a cheerleader, you were pretty much nobody.  And my interests made me something of an outcast, for my passion about railroading was seen by many to be an obsession.

And that pretty much was the way it was during my first two years of college.  My interests did expand, however.  I did a few different things, including volunteering with the Catholic Newman Center as a vocalist and liturgist and auditioning for the on-campus theatre troupe.  (By the time I left college I had become president of the parish council and headlined my farewell performance.)  I also became an avid role-player.  This gave me an opportunity to make new friends and expand my horizons.  Getting to meet members of the other gender who had interests and values similiar to my own was a decent perk too.  

And the last two years I was in college saw a great transformation.  By the time I was a junior, I realized that of the two hundred or so starting freshmen there were only about two dozen or so of us left.  So we all started paling around together.  And being that we had all just turned 21 within the past year it made for some wild times.  There were a lot of nights we tied one on a little TOO tightly, and we did more than a little skirt-chasing.

But when senior thesis finally came around we all knew we had to knuckle down.  Our late nights on the town were replaced by late nights in the electronics lab or hunched over our drafting tables.  By then I had started working as a draftsman part time at the Soo Locks so that required at least 20 hours a week of my time during which I had to be at least somewhat cognisant.  (There were a few mornings I was a little foggy, all the while resolving to myself to NEVER do THAT again!)   While I don't regret having the chance to live wild and crazy for a little while, I am grateful that I've left that lifestyle behind me.  The bars were full of people in their forties who hadn't and the wear was beginning to show on their faces.

My last six months in college I met the woman who four years later would become my wife.  I had returned to my "serious student" MO by then.  She had had several encounters with men much like how Kathy describes above and was almost all but turned off to anyone.   We met through common friends and got to know each other.  

Shortly thereafter, however, I got my sheepskin and promptly lost my job at the Locks.  So I headed south toward Detroit to seek my fortune.  (I can empathize with anyone doing the "distance relationship" thing!)  I'll spare you the details of what happened in the ten years hence, though the email I sent Rob for his college paper showed my maturation process had only just begun.

And so I think it is with many men, Kathy.  Almost all of us that were hootin' and hollerin' back in the day now have full-time jobs, mortgages, and children.  Those things tend to change one's point of view about oneself and the world we live in.  I daresay it changes people's priorities, in my opinion for the better.  It's all part of the maturation process I'm glad to say I've surrendered to.

One observation I've made about anime fans is that they're markedly different from the mainstream in their values and priorities.  Just about all the anime fans I know have been to college and afterward land decent jobs.  And this forum , which caters to the fandom of a very thought-provoking anime series such as El Hazard, seems to consist of people who contrast starkly to the picture you paint, Kathy.  Heh.  Dare I say "preaching to the choir?"  ;)

With respect to football:  although I'd be remiss not to mention that while I don't care for football, basketball or baseball I am an avid hockey fan.  I do hope you'll believe me it's not the fights I like, in fact, I usually enjoy watching college hockey more because the fights are not sensationalized and made a spectacle of.  I love to watch when a good squad can get their passing game down pat and it just clicks, much to the chagrin of yon hapless goalie.  It's a game where teamwork is necessary and if executed brilliantly can pay off big time.  

Of course, my Lake Superior State Lakers finished nearly dead last in the CCHA and my Red Wings were brushed off the ice in four straight by the DUCKS for GOD'S SAKE!  So it hasn't been a good hockey season for me.  :(  Glad I have El Hazard to talk about!  :)

Personally I'd rather enjoy seeing a fan rendition of Ifurita dressed for the bench.  I think she'd make a killer left wing.  Could you imagine a Demon-God slapshot?  I pity the poor goalie that would try to bat away one of those.

Sometimes I think that if I knew what the world was like when I was younger I would have developed my BODY instead of my MIND... heh but I made my choice and I guess I'm better for it... though sometimes I wonder...

I actually avoided military service because I didn't think I had the physical muster to be able to survive boot camp (being the short stocky smart kid I used to be.)  Ironically, today my work as a signalman requires I work outside in all kinds of weather engaged in physically gruelling activity--digging trenches, pulling cable (some of it the diameter of my wrist,) unloading trucks, spreading stone and the like.  Six months ago I wondered if I would be able to handle it but now know I can do this if I pace myself and don't try to be a superhero.  In that respect I feel I've come full circle, though I don't believe I still could do a hundred pushups without feeling it later.

No one wants the 3.92 GPA, summa cum laude, National Honor Society, college grad, girl... they want the easy chick who works in the beauty parlor... feh

Heh.  I didn't know you knew my high school class!  :)  In fact, many of the young women I knew back then fit the description you provide.  And when I do visit my hometown and encounter one or more of them, I believe I'm better off where I ended up.  There's a song out there called "Thank God For Unanswered Prayers" which usually plays in the back of my mind whenever I find myself back there.

I'm glad YOU see that there's a problem with that kind of thinking Tim... but then... you're a smart guy who focuses on developing his mind like I did... that and you know I'd beat the snot out of you for disrespecting women ^_^ -- one of these days I'm gonna pop Joe one... (our youngest brother for those who don't know).

Strapping young lad who thinks he's all that, eh?  I can relate.  If you ever put my brother and I together you'd never know we were even distantly related.  He's in his late 20's now, about to finish his apprenticeship as a union plumber.  Just about all the life lessons I mention above he has yet to learn.  He lives in our grandparent's old house (they both passed away recently) though I'm dubious of whether he's actually making his house payment or drinking it away on the weekends.  And I'm sick of HIS creditors calling ME and threatening me to have him pay them.  (That seemed to cease after I sicked my attorney on them.)  Maybe I'm just jealous that I never had a chance to live for two wild and crazy weeks in Cancun.  Although it occurs to me maybe I'm better off for having NOT been there.

Stick with the smart girls Tim... you'll be better for it... no one will fight you for 'em for one ^_^;

I'm awfully glad I did.  When I listen to my coworkers complain about their wives spending their money and running around while they're out here on the gang, I feel very lucky to have ended up with a small town girl like mine who knows the value of a dollar and has a good head on her shoulders.

Your message is a sound one, Kathy.  I do suppose, however, that any man who is a member of this forum already believes much the same way you do.  ;)  That doesn't make the message any less meaningful, in my opinion.

(Yes, I have three day weekends and my wife is at work today.  So I have lots of time to mull over life's little quandaries.)

--me

Mark Engels
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2003, 11:00:50 am »

I for one really think that smart girls make better long term relationships. After all, it's only so fun dating a hot chick for a while, but once the fun is over, she's not exactly the great type of chick you'd want to marry. Inner beauty rocks. Unfortunatley, I'm one of the poor saps who got stuck being dumb and ugly. I guess I got whacked in the head with the short end of the stick...

Anyways, back on track, I think it goes both ways too. I've dated really beautiful bimbos (men) like my famous ex Jeremy Hoffman, hotter than a Greek God, but boy, was the poor boy dumb.  :P You just can't win, can you? And also, with Jeremy in mind, I'd like to say that the intellectual type is less likley to cheat on you, lie about it, then turn gay and pretend he laid you.   :-[  >:(  Funny how it all works out in the end. I';m suprised I haven't been invited on Springer...

Oh, right, staying on topic... That's why I like girls better now anyways. Boys just like to break your heart.  :'( Girls are far more sensitive to these things. In short, I LOVE LAR!!!  ;D
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2003, 12:20:11 pm »

Bah.  Boys not sensitive?  ;p  Sad-twinge BGM like Ifurita's pain song can bring a tear to my eye, much less if I think about her floating off when Makoto first digs deep.  Actually I can be uncharacteristically sensitive.  This is probably why I strive to make computer games that are only backed by some type of story; story-devoid bopper games are fun, but I don't get to put any heart into them.

Alternatively, I still hold a common male characteristic of NOT feeling when a potential arrises, where I rather handle it as a logical problem, not an emotional wound.  That's not exactly a bad thing either.

I think this post is all about one thing that both Kathy and Jewel are too quick to say; NOT all guys are the same way, and definitely even the guys that are one way may not be once maturity catches up to them.  I know I've drastically changed in just the past year.  My mom's been constantly pointing out that I've gone from one who wallows in self pity and depression to some sort of positive outlook towards-the-future guy.

And for the record, I've never once in my life actually persued a woman strictly for her body.  Sure, I may think it, but that's just male nature.  I'd never actually put it to practice.  That's another thing women ought to learn.  Men are animals, but that doesn't mean a few of us haven't learned how to control it.  :P  Yes, there are just hormonal jerks.  I'm probably as hormonally fueled as the rest of them, and God knows being without a girlfriend for a year and watching others at the college who do has made me edgey to no end... but I still can be respectable around any female I encounter.  Actually I'll sooner make a fool of myself trying to be friendly than I'd try to get her into a bedroom.

I've never broken a girl's heart.  Technically, she broke mine, made me feel like dirt for a good few months.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 12:21:59 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2003, 02:29:11 pm »

Unfortunatley, I'm one of the poor saps who got stuck being dumb and ugly. I guess I got whacked in the head with the short end of the stick...  

Your are not dumb, nor ugly. Don't think badly of yourself. Let someone else who is actually dumb and ugly think that. (not picking on anyone! Promise!)

Oh, right, staying on topic... That's why I like girls better now anyways. Boys just like to break your heart.   Girls are far more sensitive to these things. In short, I LOVE LAR!!!  

I LOVE YOU TOO!!!

My ex dumped me beore he found out I had dumped him three months at least previously.
I only do that to him though, if I were to dumb Rosh (Which I promise you is SO NOT gonna happen!!!) I'd tell her, but I'm not gonna, so everything is OKAY!!!

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
pixiegirl
Demon God(ess)

BAAAAAAAA!

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2003, 03:30:33 pm »

Well boys are kind of usless at relationships. (only my veiw) They only seem to like hurting you. Like my ex who dumped me for no aparrent reason and then said i dumped him and a girl (very stuipid) thought that he was innocent and she started going out with him! that relasionship lasted a whole 3 days! not my longest relationship! :D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 03:31:07 pm by pixiegirl » Logged

If at first you don't succeed redifine success.

If at first you do succeed try to hide you're astonishment!

Iv'e not failed  iv'e just tried 10,000 ways that don't work.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2003, 05:15:04 pm »

*sigh*  You girls... we're like scotch; it gets better with age.  ;p  Seriously, wait until you're like 18 or something.  Guys are only starting to become perfected about then.

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2003, 06:50:51 pm »

*sigh*  You girls... we're like scotch; it gets better with age.  ;p  Seriously, wait until you're like 18 or something.  Guys are only starting to become perfected about then.

LOL I not saying anything ^_^;

Except this Rob, how old were the men MOM was talking about? Seems they are not even "starting to become perfected" at 18 ^_^; you have a about oooh 40 years MORE of "perfecting."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 06:53:51 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2003, 08:02:39 pm »

22-25 is a nice age range.  Still young, but finally coming to a grasp on reality.

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2003, 08:30:30 pm »

22-25 is a nice age range.  Still young, but finally coming to a grasp on reality.

LOL need I remind you that Toygar was 24?  ;D

Gasping reality was never a problem for him.. it was DEALING with reality.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 08:31:27 pm by ifurita » Logged

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2003, 09:02:26 pm »

Now don't test me.  ;p

Not EVERYBODY is under any form of "standard".  There's good apples and bad apples... shall I go into college bud Jason's last love?  The one who dated another man behind his back?  Then now is dating someone else "officially", and yet called him recently and gave him sex talk over the phone?  Har.  That's just bad news either way.

washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2003, 09:16:52 pm »

um...just curious, why do boy/girl dates even after all the bitterness???
to see it from a certain view, isn't the superficiality quite obvious from day one?? :-/

a friend of mine told me that "love" is one of the most empty word spoken, similar to that of "sorry"
so could one actually really take it seriously when the other say ILU ::)
well, I can go further to the definition of that "L" word as promise/commitment instead of feeling...but there goes my 2 cents

I can't be biased on this one since I've never been involved, somehow there's just always something else to pay more attention
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines