Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:22:48 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Kaurooawool *shot*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Kaurooawool *shot*  (Read 7167 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2003, 10:23:37 pm »

Alternative World Memories, the only book I know to have any Alternative World detication, depicts Qawool in this particular dress (page 13), which is obviously in the style of people from Cretaria (sp?).

Now, granted I can't read a syllable of Japanese, but I'm wondering if that page is supposed to be trying to describe something about Qawool's origin or at least suggest theory.  (Most interesting because of this supposed OAV3 that I've heard about from Saucer a few times.)

Also on the topic of this book, my sister read Allujah's name in the Katakana form printed in the book as

"Ah-ru-jhee-ah"

Now, she'll hate me for posting that because she's understandably not 100% confident in her reading skills which are, as of yet, far from proficient by any means.

However, if that pronounciation is correct, then I am also correct in realizing where the English pronounciation "Allujah" came from.  That would mean the "Arjah" thing is just a misprint from someone not quite qualified in the AIC departments who should've at least taken it to "Arujiah" or "Arujah".  (And the 'R' / 'L' problem of Japanese obviously makes up for the double-L spelling!)

Now, of course that little bit of nitpicking is moot unless this is verified, but at least then I'll be 100% positive that "Allujah" is a "correct" English reference backed up with proof of sorts.  ;p

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2003, 05:29:56 am »

Actually, the katakana can still be read as Arjah... Arujah would make slightly more sense, but you could still get away with Arjah (I've seen a similar thing done with other names). The "ji" thing is irrelevant... all Japanese words with a j have to have this sound...

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2003, 12:48:06 pm »

I'm not talking about "what you can get away with".  People can get away with anything if they make it a standard, which seems that "Arjah" was easily done. ;p

I can't stand it, for the life of me, I do hate that "Arjah" spelling forever... it just bothers me...

And now, to help induce my sister with some confidence in her reading ability and to at least hold my ground...

Japanese audio from AW saying ArUjah, showing that even in production the particular phonetic wasn't concidered arbitrary.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2003, 01:20:39 pm »

Oooh! Pretty! I'm gonna copy that pic!  ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2003, 01:30:55 pm »

Also on the topic of this book, my sister read Allujah's name in the Katakana form printed in the book as

"Ah-ru-jhee-ah"

Now, she'll hate me for posting that because she's understandably not 100% confident in her reading skills which are, as of yet, far from proficient by any means.

I AM going to hurt you now ^_^... just wait til I see you next! (later today most likely).

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2003, 01:39:26 pm »

Yeah, but as the sound sample proved, you were right, so at least feel happy about that. ;p  I never doubted that though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 01:39:41 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2003, 02:39:03 pm »

Listening to the clip signals that this was the FIRST time I heard the Alternative World in Japanese.  He... sounded calmer than the English Voice Actor, but the basis is there - he DOES say A-ru-jah, not Ar-jah.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003, 08:40:42 pm »

Alternative World Memories, the only book I know to have any Alternative World detication, depicts Qawool in this particular dress (page 13), which is obviously in the style of people from Cretaria (sp?).

Now, granted I can't read a syllable of Japanese, but I'm wondering if that page is supposed to be trying to describe something about Qawool's origin or at least suggest theory.  (Most interesting because of this supposed OAV3 that I've heard about from Saucer a few times.)

I just spent about two hours trying to translate that text to the right of the dress, with the arrow pointing left.  But I didn't do very well-- for one thing, I couldn't find either of those two kanji compounds, so I'm guessing their meaning from the individual kanji.

honhen?? niwa dete konai maboroshi no kosuchuumu.
o-jouyoudo?? ga 80% hodo ue gatteiru imeegi da.

Which might be something like

The costume vision/dream that isn't included in the main-compilation?.
The young-woman's-occcurrence? is up-to? 80% of? ?? images.

Better than nothing, I guess, but not much better  :P  The three big characters, to the left of Kauru's neck, are "daisuki" (love, or like a lot).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 08:47:03 pm by mrwhat » Logged
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003, 08:51:32 pm »

The costume vision/dream that isn't included in the main-compilation

Well, substituting "main-compilation" as possibly referring to the show as a whole.  Basically saying "This was supposed to appear in the show [as a vision?], but didn't make it."
Or alternatively, this is something they were planning to add later... "This will be a vision, but don't look for it in the show, because it isn't there..." ?

Where's BRPXQZME when ya need him? ;D  (Super genius kid who only happens by randomly...)

Also remember that the linked page 13 is the full-size full-page, if that helps any.  I just cropped the particular item of interest in what's linked here.

Andrusi
Bugrom Forces

Powerlink!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2003, 08:37:52 am »

I can't stand it, for the life of me, I do hate that "Arjah" spelling forever... it just bothers me...

Arjah glad it turned out to be incorrect?  ::shot REPEATEDLY::

ANDRUSI

Sanity not included.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2003, 06:31:04 pm »

^^;;;

I can't read Japanese either. But based on experience, I'd say Qawoor is in a Creterian gown, simply because she spent time there and almost got hitched to Dahl. They just do that in artbooks, put people in different costumes, etc. Look at the Fushigi Yuugi artbook and all the traditional Chinese costumes she puts Miaka in. Event though she never wears any of them in the anime or manga.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2003, 06:47:20 pm »

If we're just going to write it off like THAT Saucer...

But this isn't just an art book.  That image appears in the part of the book talking about the show and its episodes.  It'd seem kind of random to just insert customized clipart into an info zone.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2003, 11:06:26 pm »

If we're just going to write it off like THAT Saucer...

But this isn't just an art book.  That image appears in the part of the book talking about the show and its episodes.  It'd seem kind of random to just insert customized clipart into an info zone.

^_^ Here's the two explanations I can come up with for that:

1) You've just seen the series....... now you've bought the artbook! The writer went to alot of trouble to write synopsis of each episode. Are you going to read it? No! Why should you? You just saw the whole series right? Isn't that why you bought the art book? You wouldn't buy an artbook for a series you've never seen right? So you through some new piece of artwork in their to grab the readers eye. "Oh what's this about?" You start reading.....

2) Anime is full of all kinds of random stuff that has nothing to do with anything at all. That's why it's so great! Also, maybe it was just a sweet piece of original art that they just didin't have any other place in the book for?

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2003, 11:35:14 pm »

All I can say is... one of us has to learn Japanese.  ;p  Or at least we wait until Sarah becomes fluent enough that we can bother her non-stop.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2003, 11:35:33 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 01:49:04 pm »

Was Ifurita actually wearing underwear in that picture?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines