Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Favorite animes! recommendations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Favorite animes! recommendations?  (Read 5075 times)
xxpacmanv1
Londs' Screen Time

I love El-Hazard!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2003, 03:47:55 am »

What's up everyone, just wondering what everyone's top 3 anime's are and any anime that you would recommend me getting because i'm not sure what to get next,  I just got hellsing and i'm debating on the tenchi series or fushigi yugi series or vandread(i'm a big space anime fan)...or if anyone has any other suggestions

My top 3 anime's are...
1.  Cowboy Bebop
2.  Martian Successor Nadesico
3.  Neon Genesis Evangelion

Other anime series worth watching(IMO):  
1.  El Hazard(of course, i'm not too big on the wanderers though...sorry el hazard fans  :-/)
2.  Record of Lodoss Wars
3.  Ruroni Kenshin(although i think after shishio it starts getting repetitive and old...i guess you begin to run out of ideas after 96 episodes)
4.  Dual!(tech tv is showing it!!!! I love this series too bad it's such a short series)
5.  Street Fighter II V(i dunno i think the fight scenes in this anime are great, although they tend to reuse frame shots a lot)  
6.  Generator Gawl(I bought this collection on sale for 35 bucks, and i gotta say was a 35 bucks well spent)

That's just some of them of course i could go on about other great series but these are just some of my favorite ones...who knows mayb i'll add hellsing after i get the chance to watch it...anyone got any other recommendations?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 03:48:25 am by xxpacmanv1 » Logged
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 07:42:21 am »

Well, I have a large list. But I can't put them in order.

Gundam Wing
Tenchi Muyo/Universe
Cardcaptors
Princess Mononoke
Oh! My Goddess! (Ah! Megami Sama!)
El Hazard
Sailor Moon... (not too sure)

That's just the good ones!  ;)  ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 10:33:45 am »

My Favorite Animes:

Rockman EXE
The Irresponsible Captian Tylor
Pita Ten
El Hazard
Record of Lodoss War
Gundam Wing
Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Chobits (but the only episode I REALLY liked was 21)

As far as MOVIES go:

Metropolis
Spirited Away
Black Jack

Ones I want to see more of:

Astro Boy
Getbackers
Fruits Basket
« Last Edit: May 01, 2003, 10:34:43 am by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 12:48:48 pm »

1.  El Hazard(of course, i'm not too big on the wanderers though...sorry el hazard fans  :-/)

Actually it's quite common for El-Hazard fans to only side with one particular variety.  I used to be that way myself (against Wanderers), but eventually I realized I had to lighten up if I'm to properly represent it.  And so I've learned to put things in their respective ranks and leave it be.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2003, 07:26:02 pm »

My top two are EH and Ah! My Goddess.  My third favorite has varied-- it's probably Fruits Basket at the moment.

You can use my new DVD Aficionado page for other titles that I'd recommend.  Excel Saga was disappointing, and Don't Leave Me Alone Daisy was a terrible mistake, but I'd recommend everything else I've got listed there.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2003, 11:32:13 pm »

My top Three..... El hazard is definitely right at the top! Kimagure Orange Road would certainly be next. As for the third..... well that tends to change alot. Although if you need a recommendation of what to watch next, and you like El hazard, then you simply can't pass up Slayers! I recommend it HIGHLY.

xxpacmanv1, Tenchi and Vandread are excellent. I think you'll like them. What did you think of Hellsing, BTW? Maze, You're Under Arrest, Magic Knight Rayearth. Gatekeepers and 3x3 Eyes are also excellent. And whether or not you like baseball,  Princess Nine is really a great series. I'd also recommend the absolutely hysterical Excel Saga. Although it helps to know ALOT about anime and manga, otherwise you won't get alot fo the jokes (many of which are very subtle). I really liked Betterman also, and thought it was very underrated. And if you like samurai stuff, Carried by the Wind (AKA Kazemakaze Tsukikage Ran) is the way to go!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
xxpacmanv1
Londs' Screen Time

I love El-Hazard!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2003, 02:44:12 am »

cool, yea i've seen a lot of thsoe that u mentioned saucer but i haven't seen the slayers yet, i wasn't too big on magic knight rayearth, and i dunno slayers kinda reminded me of that so i never bothered, but yea i'll be sure to check it out, probably not till the summer though...as for hellsing i just got them shipped in yesterday and with my midterms i wasn't able to watch any of it yet, i just check out some of the extras on it and i can't wait to see the series it looks great, i'll tel lu what i think about it when i finish it.   O and betterman i gotta say is totally underrated also, i saw it on tech tv and i loved it, my only major gripe was some of the fight scenes were really hard to make out cuz of the dark atmosphere, and it seemed like to me that the monster designs were just thrown together....i mean pink tape worms....COME ON! :P  but yea it's still a great anime
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2003, 10:19:00 am »

My top Three..... El hazard is definitely right at the top! Kimagure Orange Road would certainly be next. As for the third..... well that tends to change alot. Although if you need a recommendation of what to watch next, and you like El hazard, then you simply can't pass up Slayers! I recommend it HIGHLY.

xxpacmanv1, Tenchi and Vandread are excellent. I think you'll like them. What did you think of Hellsing, BTW? Maze, You're Under Arrest, Magic Knight Rayearth. Gatekeepers and 3x3 Eyes are also excellent. And whether or not you like baseball,  Princess Nine is really a great series. I'd also recommend the absolutely hysterical Excel Saga. Although it helps to know ALOT about anime and manga, otherwise you won't get alot fo the jokes (many of which are very subtle). I really liked Betterman also, and thought it was very underrated. And if you like samurai stuff, Carried by the Wind (AKA Kazemakaze Tsukikage Ran) is the way to go!

My wife and I have watched all of the Slayers and Slayers Next series.  Haven't seen Try yet but might break down and by the DVD (even though the rest of our Slayers' inventory is on VHS.)

Even got chance to meet Lisa Ortiz and Rachel Lillis at Anime Central 2000 in Chicago.  Met Crispin Freeman the previous year and learned he's a train buff like me.  I guess there's little else moving through Bozeman, Montana where he hails from.  :)

Wifey and I did see KOR Summer's Beginning and liked it a lot.  Do hope KOR is dubbed at some point in the future.  And while we're on the subject of romantic comedy, anyone know whether Viz plans to release the Maison Ikkoku series on DVD?  The one Takahashi series with no shape-changing or dimension-hopping weird stuff going on in it and that's the one that time seems to have forgotten!  (Now don't get me wrong...I enjoy Ranma and Inu Yasha a lot but anyone who's loved [and lost?] can appreciate and identify with that poor slob Godai in MI.)

Princess Nine is simply not to be missed.  I've been watching anime for probably nearly as long as Saucer and Mr. What and consider it one of the finest I've seen.  Drama, tension, character development, and a few laughs along the way.  Like Saucer says, you don't need to be a baseball fan to be able to appreciate how good an anime this is.  Highly highly recommended.  And the ending isn't what one might expect, but we found satisfying nevertheless.

I've got some MKR and 3x3 in manga form.  Super Manga Blast was carrying 3x3 but I fell off the wagon when we moved to Indiana.  Pai is one of the most unlikely anime heroines I've seen, especially now in SMB.  I've got the first two MKR GNs, though I had forgotten that until I finally unpacked my manga collection yesterday.  (I think I need bigger bookcases!)

Anime for me started before I even knew what the name for Japanese animation was.  Kimba the White Lion (nods to Kathy) was an early favorite followed by Battle of the Planets (and my name is Mark so I'm partial!) then Voltron and finally Robotech.  I kinda forgot about anime altogether until I went to university then fell in with a bunch of RPGers who were also anime buffs.  By the time I watched the fourth-generation fansub of Bubble Gum Crisis with damn near enough snow on the screen to look like an Upper Peninsula blizzard, I knew that I would be an anime fan for life.

The best part, folks, is it just keeps getting better!  Now we've got DVDs and more damn titles than I could ever keep straight.  In fact, I almost never buy single copies anymore.  I prefer to wait for the box sets to come out so Sonia and I can watch them all in one marathon on a Saturday night (although Eva and Key the Metal Idol took awhile to watch as did Fushigi Yugi.)

P9 was a notable exception, however.

There is a P9 Yahoo group if anyone is interested...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kisaragi_High/

Sorry about the shameless plug, but Lord knows the group could use some traffic.

--me

Mark Engels
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 11:54:00 am »

http://www.animecubed.com/galleries/bgc2040/pics/nene01.jpg

http://www.absoluteanime.com/bubblegum_crisis/nene.jpg

Yes, bubblegum Crash/Crisis are great, but whats with the change of faces, the characters have the same names, just change completely. Take Nene for example.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2003, 12:04:24 pm »

my top irreplaceable anime series would be:

-Cowboy bebop ( excluding the movie!)
-Rurouni Kenshin OVA 4 episodes
-Tenchi Muyo OVA (this is my sole intro to anime more than just cartoon)

then there are those that stick with me:
-gundam wing, 0083, endless waltz
-EH OVA 1...sigh...OVA2, and Wanderers :D
-Azumanga daioh
-Love hina

As far as movies (order of emotional magnitude);
-Grave of fireflies :'(
-Jin Roh
-Metropolis
-Spirited Away
-Porco Rosso

« Last Edit: May 09, 2003, 12:38:27 am by washuchan » Logged
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2003, 08:36:13 pm »

AnimEigo's had to remaster the KOR TV series twice already for DVD. So I doubt they'll be dubbing and rereleasing it any time soon. But you never know.

Maison Ikkoku on DVD.... well Viz promised that a couple years ago. Seven episodes per disc too (supposedly). Will we ever see it? Maybe one of these days. Like AnimEigo, they move fairly slow for such an old company.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2003, 06:36:01 am »

Is grave of the fireflies done by Hayao Miasaki? (not right spelling, i know. Well, unless it is.)

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 04:47:58 pm »

Is grave of the fireflies done by Hayao Miasaki? (not right spelling, i know. Well, unless it is.)

Close! Hayao Miyazaki. And no, he did not direct the film. Although his studio, Studio Ghibli, did it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines