Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:49 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Ifreeta & Rune design similarities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Ifreeta & Rune design similarities?  (Read 6598 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2003, 11:05:56 pm »

Well, can't help but stick to this webpage for hours (geez, need to study for chemE finals... :-X )
I'm referring to page 12 & 30 of the Etrangere page
(I'd like to copy & paste the link, but dunno if that will be ok)
so what do you think, I personally believe/prefer/want....
etc etc Ifurita as a single unique entity, but looking at the 2 pics if you make the same color hair, then it would be hard to tell from a distance
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 01:17:02 am »

FYI, it's fine to paste direct links.

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/cgi-bin/register/eholmemberfile.cgi?getfile=etranger/Etrangerpage12.jpg;type=jpeg

Alternatively, you use the url tag and enclose them:

Page 30
etc.

But anyway...

Well, I don't know if the similarities are deliberate or not... obviously all El-Hazard characters are drawn in a similar style, and the major pivot on Wanderers is that many of the acting characters are of similar ages.  Makoto and Rune are 17, Ifurita is for some reason in a design that also makes her look 17.  

Perhaps because that gives her a bit of "childish innocense" that lets her get away with being the character she is.  This is as opposed to the OAV Ifurita who had a more adult, dignified appearance which supported the fact she was a more complicated, serious character.  

Artistic reference anyway.  Not to say a 17 year old character couldn't have adult characteristics as a quirk or whatnot, but yeah.

To the original point, I never really noticed any major similiarites between them.  Also keep in mind that those two specific Etranger pages for some reason chose what aren't exactly the most flattering image for either of them.  ;)  They were probably trying to make them look simliar as to be two opposite poles yet part of the same world or something.  But in the actual show, there are many little stylizations that usually keep them fairly well apart.  (Besides clothing, note Rune's slightly pointed nose, curlish hair at the bottom, etc compared to the generally more rounded and somewhat straight-black-haired Ifurita.)

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 01:06:56 am »

As with most anime, the chara all look pretty similar, if not the same. Hence the reason for such varied hair color/style, skin tone, eye color and costumes. It's also why many chara seem to wear the same thing 24/7. ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2003, 01:59:04 pm »

It's like looking at the similarities between Washu and Shayla. Or Quatre (Gundam Wing) and Julian (Cardcaptor Sakura).

Even if animes aren't made by the same companies, there are always similarities.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2003, 02:32:01 pm »

That's because it all started from the common genius known as Osamu Tezuka </sister ass-kissing>

(Hope that name's spelled right.  Borrowed it from the cover of Metropolis, which I've been too busy to read :-/  Must set up something...)

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2003, 07:16:32 pm »

That's because it all started from the common genius known as Osamu Tezuka </sister ass-kissing>

(Hope that name's spelled right.  Borrowed it from the cover of Metropolis, which I've been too busy to read :-/  Must set up something...)

LOL yes you spelled it right! LOL I have you whipped into praising him on command! ^_^ NOW DO IT AGAIN!  ;D

No, really his work IS excellent. I think even though anime styles reflect his, his character models were more varied. YES many had small noses and spikey hair cuts... but MANY had relatively normal hair.

He also had several characters with VERY large noses, he also made a lot of nose jokes ^_^

It's funny how they took all the weirdest stuff from his comics and set them as the standard ^_^;

After all characters like Platinum have seriously weird ass hair styles... Notice how Mr. Takama has nearly an identical hair style O_O;

And some features are used less... like these eyes

^_^ It's interesting to see how anime styles have evolved. As for the standard anime eyes for women ^_^ you can see that in his female characters.

My Japanese culture teacher spoke very fondly of his work and how beautifully he drew eyes. She went on and on about how big and beautiful they were and how much everyone wanted to have eyes that pretty ^_^ I agree!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 07:17:11 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 11:45:15 am »

Sorry, I'm a just a tiny bit confused.

What does this Osamu Tezuka, guy have to do with Cardcaptors Sakura, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 11:58:31 am »

Lar, child...

He's the sole reason Anime exists.  He developed the inital drawing style so that many animes, including El-Hazard, Tenchi, Record of Lodoss War and so on, could be what they are.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 12:01:55 pm »

Now my whole world makes complete sense. :)

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2003, 06:39:00 pm »

Lar, child...

He's the sole reason Anime exists.  He developed the inital drawing style so that many animes, including El-Hazard, Tenchi, Record of Lodoss War and so on, could be what they are.

Heh indeed ... don't forget his story telling style. He elevated manga in Japan from silly drawings to a respeceted art and story telling method. His stories explored many social and moral issues... much like many animes today.

Of course... as great as his influence is... Tezuka is not the creator of Japanese manga. A 12th centry Japanese "book" (really a scroll) called "Choju Jinbutsu Giga," is believed by to be the origin of printed manga. It featured silly charictures of animal and humans. Here is a detail called "Frolicking Animals" (it is only a detail because they were usually one long continuous picture... you read it by unrolling one end of the scroll and rerolling the other end as you went along).

The animals here are parodying the Buddhist clergy and sham devotions. ^_^;

However I think it IS important to note that Tezuka DID open his own animation studio that produced the FIRST serialized Japanese anime "Tetsuwan Atom" (Astro Boy). ^_^

If you're still confused Lar think of him as the "Walt Disney" of Japan (I personally like Tezuka better).

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2003, 08:49:05 pm »

Very informative Kathy! I like the point you make about eyes. It's a very overlooked feature in anime. Kia Asamiya (Silent Mobius, Steam Detectives, Martian Sucessor Nadesico) also draws some very beautiful and detailed eyes. They really look like they have depth, 3D of sorts.

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2003, 09:37:04 pm »

Very informative Kathy! I like the point you make about eyes. It's a very overlooked feature in anime. Kia Asamiya (Silent Mobius, Steam Detectives, Martian Sucessor Nadesico) also draws some very beautiful and detailed eyes. They really look like they have depth, 3D of sorts.

heh speaking of pretty eyes I will now gratuitously post pretty pictures of Rock's eyes ^_^;

What makes these unusual is the way his eyes are drawn... all shiny like... Tezuka changed styles sometimes to fit the story... in this story Rock is extra bishi... and a complete ass.

Heh and to make this El-Hazard realted... take a look at this:

Scary no?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2003, 09:44:17 pm by ifurita » Logged

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2003, 10:45:57 pm »

EEEEEEIIIIIIIIYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::dives under bed::

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2003, 07:03:16 am »

Well, I have to point out at this point thata year or two ago, my ex-boyfriend came over and while he was playing me computer, he asked if I wanted to read this manga comic he got out of the library. So I did, and it was the Star Wars Manga. Now, anyone who has even glanced at the inside of this comic will hopefully be able to agree with me that there are too many words, and not enough feeling in the drawings.
As it said in one of my How to draw manga books (well, it was actually Manga Mania) Anime and manga are designed to use as much emotion as possible, and to use as little words as possible. But the star wars manga was rediculous.  >:(

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2003, 01:34:50 pm »

It was also a joke, if I remember.  After all, Star Wars is technically a US live-action creation, right?  :P

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines