Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:12:18 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Ifreeta & Rune design similarities?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Ifreeta & Rune design similarities?  (Read 7240 times)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2003, 10:52:33 pm »

Well, I have to point out at this point thata year or two ago, my ex-boyfriend came over and while he was playing me computer, he asked if I wanted to read this manga comic he got out of the library. So I did, and it was the Star Wars Manga. Now, anyone who has even glanced at the inside of this comic will hopefully be able to agree with me that there are too many words, and not enough feeling in the drawings.
As it said in one of my How to draw manga books (well, it was actually Manga Mania) Anime and manga are designed to use as much emotion as possible, and to use as little words as possible. But the star wars manga was rediculous.  >:(

^^; well after all, the Star Wars manga use the complete Star Wars film scripts. Only the artwork is Japanese.

It was also a joke, if I remember.  After all, Star Wars is technically a US live-action creation, right?  :P

No, actually it's real. Manga verions of episodes 1 & 3-6 have been done. They're about four volumes each. I'm not sure if there is (or will be a manga of Attack of the Clones, but here is what's available so far; The Phantom Menace by Kia Asamiya, A New Hope by Hisao Tamaki, Empire Strikes Back by Toshiko Kudo and Return of the Jedi by Shinichi Hiromoto. All of them are published in english by Dark Horse.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2003, 11:03:49 pm »

Okay, in a vague reference, I meant "joke" as in something someone did for laughs.  The "original, official" Star Wars is the live action movie.  Therefore, you take the manga version with a "grain of salt".

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2003, 11:09:31 pm »

Okay, in a vague reference, I meant "joke" as in something someone did for laughs.  The "original, official" Star Wars is the live action movie.  Therefore, you take the manga version with a "grain of salt".

Not if j00r a hardcore Star Wars fan! Which I'm not. But they do exist. I even know a few. In fact I've talked to guys in Japan who are like "Oh, you like anime? I'm not really an otaku of anime. But I am an otaku of Star Wars."

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2003, 01:47:11 pm »

I have to say at this point that I absolutely love anime and manga, and think that absolutely any other TV cartoon and/or cartoon series are inferior! (This excludes the following- Peanuts and The Far Side)
But Star Wars, manga, was crap! With a capital C!!!

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2003, 07:29:13 pm »

since there seems to be an extensive source for info regarding the old astro boy era, I might as well ask a question here...

After watching metropolis, I'm puzzled since it's said that the movie was based on the astro boy manga

When I was 10..(around 89-90's) Astro/atomic boy comic was popular at my school. I recall reading my friends comic once and there it said the astro boy was based on the son of the professor who got hit by a car.
In metropolis however, the child robot is female (Tima)...so is there actually 2 manga or is the movie totally modified?
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2003, 09:35:36 pm »

since there seems to be an extensive source for info regarding the old astro boy era, I might as well ask a question here...

After watching metropolis, I'm puzzled since it's said that the movie was based on the astro boy manga

When I was 10..(around 89-90's) Astro/atomic boy comic was popular at my school. I recall reading my friends comic once and there it said the astro boy was based on the son of the professor who got hit by a car.
In metropolis however, the child robot is female (Tima)...so is there actually 2 manga or is the movie totally modified?

Ummm no no no... Metropolis the movie is VERY VERY VERY VERY LOOSELY based on the Metropolis manga written by the CREATOR of Astro Boy, Osamu Tezuka.

Metropolis was one of his first really big works... so it's kinda weird. The movie is sooo incredibly loosely based on it that it makes your head hurt to think about the movie when reading the comic and vice versa.

For one... Rock is NOT in the manga... he IS a popular Tezuka character but was NOT in the original Metropolis. Duke Red, Kenichi, Shunsuke Ban, Lamp, Ham Egg and some of the others WERE in the manga...

In the manga the robot is named Michi and is both male and female...and Michi is not literally a ROBOT but an artifical being grown from artifical cells...

Duke Red is the main villan in the manga and wears all these crazy disguises... it's all very strange.

If you want a summary of it I'll write one later (no time at the moment)

I LOOOVE the movie though... heh just cos I'm obsessed with Rock ^_^ he's my fav. Tezuka character... (but I think all the people on this board have figured that out by now)

Anyhows... yes... Astro was built by Dr. Tenma to "replace" his son Tobio who died in a car accident. It takes Dr. Tenma one year to build Astro who is the world's most advanced robot.

He raises him for a while as his own son... but Tenma realizes he made a terrible mistake when he discovers that Astro will never grow... This really upsets him (remember that Tenma is a little crazy at this point) so he sells him to the circus... Astro is later rescued by Prof. Ochanomizu who takes over for Dr. Tenma as the head of the ministry of science (heh since they fire him for being... umm crazy).

Astro stories rule ^_^

but to simply answer your question the movie was LOOSELY based on the Metropolis manga not Astro...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003, 10:56:01 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines