Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:09:43 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Your DVD Collection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Your DVD Collection  (Read 12164 times)
washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2003, 10:22:52 pm »

wanderers in dub is an example of one of the worst in dubbing...
I practically watched wanderers only from episode 12-26 (in sub), maybe I'll catched the first ones one day
the scene with Jinnai in the end is indeed heart warming :) :) :), I can't recall any other time in the series with his face looking like that; he really looked like Ifurita's caring father at that point (would be funny if in the ending Makoto got somehow close to Ifurita and has to deal with Jinnai as her father)

hey Rob, a good try on anime marathon as well as an "inflicting" anime would be cowboy bebop 26 episodes. In imdb.com there're all sort of reactions of people finishing that episode (life changing, tear bursting, etc etc). IMHO, that anime really covers life aspect which ultimately is life itself, and death.

ps: how come your sister doesn't like tv Ifurita, I thought one of anime attraction for females is
kawaii-ness???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 10:24:05 pm by washuchan » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2003, 10:28:52 pm »

wanderers in dub is an example of one of the worst in dubbing...

It's no worse than any of the others.  I find all of the dubbing of El-Hazard (in English) equal and good.  Often funnier than the original.  For some reason people like to say Wanderers is worse off but I have no idea why... Bob Marx in particular delivers excellent performances in any version.

ps: how come your sister doesn't like tv Ifurita, I thought one of anime attraction for females is
kawaii-ness???

One thing about the world -- you can't please everybody.  What works for some doesn't work for all.  I suppose the dubbing note above is an example as such.  :P  Me and Neil will wave flags and actively support the English dub of El-Hazard to no end.

One thing I do believe I've heard about the dubbing is how "annoying" a character's voice is.  Well get used to it people; Japanese voices are strangely melodic things, but Western voices are coarse.  Probably because the English language is based on German, which is one of the roughest sound-producing languages of all.  :P

Honestly, I find the English voice actors very fitting to their parts.  I'd never replace a single one of them.  And Marx emulates Jinnai's laugh so well, it's unbelievable!  

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/dual.mp3
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 10:34:02 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2003, 06:13:26 am »

kawaii-ness???

O_O there is a difference between kawaii-ness and just annoying... she kinda treads that line for me.

Besides... I've never been the "oooooh sooooo cute!" type... for instance I don't care for Hello Kitty much whilst my one friend collects merchandise incessantly. O_O; Some things just don't do it for me...

I DO think some things are cute ^_^ but... meh...

Heh I prefer cute boys to cute girls anyday ^_~

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2003, 01:56:15 pm »

I got scared and didn't understand a word of that dual.

Normal.  ;)

I personally prefer Shayla, Fatora and Alielle.  ;)

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2003, 11:11:09 pm »

Ah, you guys reminded me of the end of Wanderers! Yes, Jinnai certainly was out of character wasn't he? It was interesting though.

I don't hate TV Iffy. But, with OVA Iffy being my favorite chara, I can't help but be disappointed in her at the least.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2003, 11:29:48 pm »

I don't hate TV Iffy. But, with OVA Iffy being my favorite chara, I can't help but be disappointed in her at the least.

Well, I think most of us coming off the OAV think that way.  I used to be directly biased again TV Ifurita... eventually I came to terms where I've mentally partitioned the two El-Hazard existances and accepted each for its own.  (Note, for example, I would never put the two into the same existence.)  TV Ifurita can be enjoyed for her interesting youthful innocense... personally, I find it interesting where Jinnai tries to be a father figure.  Honestly out of the ordinary, yes, but interesting anyway.  Because we always see him as the great, evil, insane dictator guy, but oddly it gives him a human appeal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2003, 11:30:16 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

washuchan
Demon God(ess)

charity, not love

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2003, 12:06:08 pm »

well, we're straying off topic basically so:

I have to admit, I watched the 1st OVA first, got depressed from the 2nd one, and basically completely against the 3rd one, then I watched Wanderers

Sure enough, I have no idea what happen to the Ifurita I'm familiar with. I don't know what I felt, but it changed after that sincere "look" at Makoto & Rune in the snow episode.
It seemed that she initially "liked" Makoto, but nevertheless she's happy for him and Rune. That reminded me of Mutsumi character in Love Hina.
A character with charity
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2003, 10:56:14 pm »

Yeah, TV Iffy is amusing in her own right. She can be taken a couple ways, I suppose. What suprises me is that more people like than dislike Qawoor (which is a good thing). Usually, new chara that work their way into a series (like Sakuya and Haruna in Tenchi) elicit alot of malice.

BTW, Mutsumi Otohime r00lz!

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2003, 11:13:58 pm »

What suprises me is that more people like than dislike Qawoor (which is a good thing). Usually, new chara that work their way into a series (like Sakuya and Haruna in Tenchi) elicit alot of malice.

Well, I suppose there's a difference between a character being added for reasons that seem to suggest "plot filler" or some type of new desired on-screen eye candy (i.e. illogical/unexpected) as opposed to characters who are added due to a plotline (logical/expected).  

... Hm, I hate the spelling "Qawoor" and cannot seem to get acceptance for "Qawool", so I will now average the two ASCII values of 'r' (114) and 'l' (108).  The letter is 'o' (111).  Wonderful...

Obviously, Qawooo was an expected replacement for Miz as water priestess.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2003, 11:14:12 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2003, 08:39:41 am »

Back to the subject of DVD's:

My dad has promised to get me Ah! My Goddess! The Movie for my birthday.  ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2003, 11:38:59 pm »

... Hm, I hate the spelling "Qawoor" and cannot seem to get acceptance for "Qawool", so I will now average the two ASCII values of 'r' (114) and 'l' (108).  The letter is 'o' (111).  Wonderful...

Obviously, Qawooo was an expected replacement for Miz as water priestess.

^_^; Well, R and L are basically interchangable in romanji. Since that sound in Japanese is kind of a combination of both that can't really be romanized any exact way.

That is an excellent film. One of my favorites actually.

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2003, 08:22:35 pm »

A+ movie.  It got me started on the whole Ah! My Goddess franchise.  Several scenes still choke me up a little  :'(

But, if you already have the manga, or buy the manga later-- Peorth is just about a whole different character in the movie.  She's a lot less, uh, mentally stable, in the manga  ::)
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2003, 01:43:20 pm »

It has been ordered. I have to admit though, I am a huge fan of the series of O!MG!, and found the Va's comentaries on both the DVD's absolutely hilarious!  ;D

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2003, 04:35:23 pm »

A+ movie.  It got me started on the whole Ah! My Goddess franchise.  Several scenes still choke me up a little  :'(

But, if you already have the manga, or buy the manga later-- Peorth is just about a whole different character in the movie.  She's a lot less, uh, mentally stable, in the manga  ::)

Peorth is a great chara, both in the film and the manga! You gotta love her manga antics. They make Urd's seem tame by comparison.

I also really like the one from the movie with the silver hair. Er I believe her name was? She wasn't in the manga, as far as I've seen.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2003, 01:53:08 pm »

I just got the DVD today, and I've watched it and it is now my most favourite movie ever!!!!

I think the one with the silver hair was X, but I'm not sure.
I really liked Peorth and Morgan, Morgan was just soooo cool!
In fact, after having watched the whole series, and the movie, the personalities of the characters in the movie are much more loveable than the series, where I felt myself threatening to throw up all over the Tv every time belldandy spoke. I just couldn't stand that girl!!!!
But in the movie, I actually felt myself wanting to cry about what was happening to her, and caring about her.

But I do have to say that the VA's that they chose for the movie were not as good as the series VA's, but even though they chose who I think was Sherry Lynn (or whoever did the voice for Sasami), Skulds voice was still okay, but the new "improved" Keiichi, was terrible, he didn't seem as caring as Scott Simpson portrayed him to be.
Pamela Weidner did a great Skuld in the series. As did Lannelle Markgraff did Urd.
I missed Scott's voice though.  :'(

I have to say, other than those minor points, the movie was the best.
Or in Ned language: That was pure mad men'o!
Thankfully, I am not a Ned.
Nor a trendy.
Nor a Mosher.
Nor a Goth.
Nor a norm.
I have no clue in fact who I am...  ;D ;) :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines