Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:20:11 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Happy Birthday Astro Boy!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Astro Boy!  (Read 7025 times)
pixiegirl
Demon God(ess)

BAAAAAAAA!

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2003, 11:44:05 am »

I was reading this thread and i realised why Rob gets really anoyed when we sort of trail of topic... (please note three dots!)  ;D

If at first you don't succeed redifine success.

If at first you do succeed try to hide you're astonishment!

Iv'e not failed  iv'e just tried 10,000 ways that don't work.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2003, 02:03:08 pm »

She finally gets it.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2003, 06:17:18 pm »

Has anyone else noticed that alot of the Disney films were based on anime?
some examples:
Lion King- Kimba the white lion

In the case of Kimba I wouldn't say based... I'd say COMPLETELY RIPPED OFF. Put images from the manga, or cartoon series right next to the Disney movie and you will see EXACTLY what I mean... Just type "Kimba and the Lion King" into Google and you will get all the images you need... I will not waste space or time by posting them here...

If you're gonna rip off something rip off the best, I guess... disrespectful Disney bastards... It's like they busted out old reels of Tezuka animation, watched it and said... hey... that's good... we should do that scene...  Ok guys do some gestures of the characters you see in this scene starting......... NOW! Nearly identical...
-_-; they practically traced some of that shit... And I don't buy them saying "they didn't know..." that's bullshit...

Some animators reportedly even COMPLAINED that it was TOO much like Kimba... the higher ups more or less told them if they wanted to keep their shitty contracts that they should shut their yaps... and do what they were told... such is the life of an animator... always bringing to life SOMEONE ELSE'S dream.

An interesting side note... my animation major friends always point out how funny it is to watch Disney rip off anime... they say, "they are copying themselves" since Tezuka's influence came from animation pioneers like Disney and the Fleischers...

So Disney is ripping off themselves... O_O; That is kinda sad...

Like I said... I've decided that I will not watch another Disney movie again... not unless they go through some major company changes... that includes their shitty hiring policies. Not to discourage anyone who wants to be an animator... but Disney is a shitty place to work... they contract you for 2 years, put you to work on one movie and then terminate your contract when the movie is made... there is no loyalty no pat on the back... IF (and this is a BIG IF) they like you... (and you have to impress the HELL out of them)  they MIGHT give you one more 2 year contract... The university I went to (Edinboro University of PA for those who care) is a BIG animation college... (not sure why... all I hear is bitching from the students but meh...) Some of our Profs. (who aren't that old... we're talking 40's here) worked for Disney... and they can tell you how hard it is... I have very little respect for Disney and it's mangement... and I feel bad for it's workers...

I actually decided I DIDN'T want to be an animator after touring a Disney studio... they basically OWN YOU. You scribble some shit on a napkin in a resturant... TECHNICALLY, by the wording of your contract, THAT SCRIBBLE is THEIR property... THAT IS BULLSHIT.

I have my own characters... my own stories... my own ideas... being an animator means you are someone elses' bitch. You do what you are told... I can't deal with that... You don't get to animate what you want...

The only way to do that is to become the BOSS. I admire Tim Burton for that... he worked for Disney back in the early 80's they told him his work was shit... After he made a name for himself as a director they wanted his ass back... now they do HIS bidding. TAKE THAT DISNEY!

Incidentally... I DO like Burton and I WOULD go see his movies even if the Disney Company had a hand in them... I respect him as an artist and for sticking it to them! He doesn't NEED to take crap from them now... He managed to keep his integrity as an artist without selling out to them... his style and humor is evident throughout all of his work... even if it is produced using their facilities etc. Heh they are a means to an end for him ^_^
« Last Edit: April 18, 2003, 06:20:11 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2003, 07:49:52 am »

I only discovered that they were so similar a little while back.
In the case of Blue water and Atlantis: Nadia has the crystal necklace, and Kida has one almost exactly the same. Jean and Milo look far to similar.
In the case of Star Wars and LOTR: The dark lord and Darth Vader. Think about it. The wierd little guy, the one who mixes his words up, and Bilbo Baggins. Think about it. Frodo's sword, Sting, glows when enemies are near...light sabre.
Stars Wars and Tenchi: Light sabre. Light hawk wings. Kagato + Darth Vader.

They are hopeless.

Even if Stars Wars isn't Disney, there are still similarities.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2003, 11:00:37 pm »

WOW Kathy, that's the longest Jungle Taitei/Lion King rant I've seen in some years. However, you're absolutely right! I love how, when fans simply demanded recognition of Tezuka-sensei's work, Disney's lawyers were arleady gearing up for a lawsuit! How ironic, the way they wield the phrase "intellectual property!" Capitalists that pander to the lowest common denominator can never understand the kind of messages Tezuka tried to convey in works like The Pheonix and the life of Buddha.

And then, Disney strikes again by blatantly ripping off Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (AKA Secret of Blue Water) with their Atlantis animation! But oh no, that's just a coincidence! Of course! Anybody who's even seen one episode of Nadia can tell that. Copyright laws in Japan are alot looser than they are here. So animators and manga-ka are always paying small tributes to other works. It's done tastefully and respectfully. But outright piracy, backed by an army of lawyers is just vile.  >:(

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2003, 10:11:56 am »

I looked for images on Google, and Kimba is so much cuter looking (in the animal sense) than simba.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines