Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:25:28 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Happy Birthday Astro Boy!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Astro Boy!  (Read 6981 times)
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 07, 2003, 08:40:50 pm »

YAY!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2003, 08:41:32 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2003, 10:41:20 pm »

Didja make that or find that?

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2003, 10:49:02 pm »

Didja make that or find that?

I scanned it ^_^ it's a panel from one of the versions of how Astro came to be... heh... Before Dr. Tenma umm went postal on him ^_^

I just took out the text and wrote the message in our friend Comic Sans MS ^_^

It's on the opening page of my website now too...

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 01:05:49 pm »

I actually find that picture incredibly scarey.  :o

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 02:04:16 pm »

I actually find that picture incredibly scarey.  :o

Dr. Tenma is scary... he's a drunk too ^_^; Umm but... that was him being a fairly good "father" actually... before he throws Astro out...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 02:09:35 pm »

I get scared really easily. Sorry.
*Lar screams* Spider. :o

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 02:54:28 pm »

I get scared really easily. Sorry.
*Lar screams* Spider. :o

Spider isn't in that panel!

But he's in this one!

Netto:
panicpaladin
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 03:21:43 pm »

I don't know much about Astro-Boy.
I've only ever seen the SNES game but it was Japanesse, so I didn't understand a thing ;E

« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:22:16 pm by panicpaladin » Logged
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 03:27:21 pm »

I don't know much about Astro-Boy.
I've only ever seen the SNES game but it was Japanesse, so I didn't understand a thing ;E

Astro is awesome ^_^ Very good stories... they have 13 volumes of manga out now in English... Well worth looking into I think...

I think the original Megaman was very much modeled after Astro... in Megaman 8 he even has an Astro like voice... very high O_O; Which is ok for Astro...since he was supposed to be designed to be like a child... though a little weird for Megaman, I thought... (Actually what bugged me about that was the fact that Roll had a deeper voice than he did -_-;  )

Ahh well...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 03:28:18 pm by ifurita » Logged

Netto:
panicpaladin
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2003, 03:33:00 pm »

Astro is awesome ^_^ Very good stories... they have 13 volumes of manga out now in English... Well worth looking into I think...

I think the original Megaman was very much modeled after Astro... in Megaman 8 he even has an Astro like voice... very high O_O; Which is ok for Astro...since he was supposed to be designed to be like a child... though a little weird for Megaman, I thought... (Actually what bugged me about that was the fact that Roll had a deeper voice than he did -_-;  )

Ahh well...

"Bass!"

Megaman couldn't pronounce right either :P
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2003, 08:29:14 pm »

"Bass!"
Megaman couldn't pronounce right either :P

O_O; no he couldn't...and neither could Dr. Light for that matter... Was it just me... or was making him sound like Elmer Fudd a REALLY cruel joke on Capcom's part?

I mean, my God, the poor man couldn't say the name of his archnemesis. I feel for people who have speech impediments and I would never make fun of them for it... but... they couldn't have given him a worse one I think O_O;

oh well...

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 01:34:52 pm »

Well, that's new to me. I had no Idea there was a character in Astro Boy called spider. I was actually talking about the eight legged aracnaphobe. They scare me. Why I don't know. But the spider guy in AB is cool.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2003, 09:44:06 pm »

Dr. Tenma is scary... he's a drunk too ^_^; Umm but... that was him being a fairly good "father" actually... before he throws Astro out...

That's one of the great things about Tezuka. That "comic" art style somehow blends well with the harsh dose of reality he always manages to deliver!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2003, 06:35:47 pm »

That's one of the great things about Tezuka. That "comic" art style somehow blends well with the harsh dose of reality he always manages to deliver!

Yes indeed ^_^

I think that it is interesting that he got most of his influence from American cartoons... and you can see what HE did with it versus what companies like Disney did with it... (***RANT ***especially the current Disney company which I have decided to swear off after seeing how "Lilo and Stitch" made fun of a girl who had SERIOUS problems dealing with the death of her parents and SHOULD have been seeing a child psychologist... her situation was not funny... her DELUSIONS were NOT funny... that was just wrong... and very sick to try to make that SEEM funny. And all those sequels! My God... if Walt Disney were alive today he'd go postal on them... and I mean that he would seriously murder everyone in the company... he was a perfectionist and he would not stand for that kind of crap. I mean... I perfer Max and Dave Fleischer over Disney anyhow... but the Disney company in Walt Disney's day is MUCH different than today's Disney company run by "The Almighty Dollar..." ***END RANT***)

Tezuka really took comics and elevated them to a new level in Japan... making them into a respected art form and story telling medium. The importance of his messages to the world about the destruction of our environment and his social commentary can still be seen today...

Where as similar media in the United states took on a less dignified form and the stories told and the characters within are never as deep... When they DO try to convey an important message it usually seems to get lost... I think this is because they try to dumb things down... keep them light hearted and overly comedic... That doesn't always work... This probably relates to the fact that cartoons and comics are GENERALLY considered children's entertainment now... (although that was not always the case).

Tezuka found a happy medium between the seriousness of his message and the humor in his style. He managed to express an important point, while he entertained. It seems as though American cartoons have yet to find this happy medium.

It would be interesting to see what American cartoons would be like if they had followed the same pattern that Japanese comics and anime did... but... meh... I guess that won't be happening anytime soon... "Cinderella 2" anyone?  :p
« Last Edit: April 16, 2003, 06:38:30 pm by ifurita » Logged

Netto:
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2003, 10:14:13 am »

It would be interesting to see what American cartoons would be like if they had followed the same pattern that Japanese comics and anime did... but... meh... I guess that won't be happening anytime soon... "Cinderella 2" anyone?  :p

AAAARGH!!!! Cinderella 2!!! RUN!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed that alot of the Disney films were based on anime?
some examples:
Lion King- Kimba the white lion
Atlantis- the secret of blue water

And then there are the others:
Star Wars- Tenchi Muyo/ Lord of the rings

Think about it...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines