Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:03:05 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Admin Speak: Those MP3 bastards
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Admin Speak: Those MP3 bastards  (Read 7523 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: April 04, 2003, 12:54:57 am »

I have 166 members registered.  I haven't gone through yet, but I'll bet maybe only about 34 are actually active, and we know only about 6 even check here for posting.  (The number 34 is in my head, might as well use it.)

I have those lousy MP3's.  I'll bet anything that 60-75% of the registrant's registered solely because they wanted MP3's.  MP3's are my biggest amount of bandwidth usage on my very limited speed hosting.  

I only keep them around because I know that they're out-of-print material, and I like to host out-of-print material.

I was hoping registering would deter leechers... but it only seemed to make them more apparent.

Here's what I think -- effective as soon as I get around to altering the script (could be as soon as tommorow), MP3's will NOT be able to be downloaded by ANYone until they contribute something to the site for the greater good.  Fanfiction, episode summary, SOMETHING.  Even possibly [useful] contribution to other projects I work on.  Anything that makes me say "There's someone who deserves the executive key."  I'm not asking for a lot.

Personally because I find it insulting people come here for one resource, purge it, then leave.

What I can't believe is that leechers actually often even answer honestly on the register html.  You'd THINK that they'd have enough guilt to lie.

From the database:

The newly registered [removed] ([removed]@[removed].com)...
... is an anime fan.
... wants to know more or everything about El-Hazard.
... likes/loves/worships El-Hazard.
... plans to rudely leech our MP3's and leave.
... plans to leech everything else besides MP3's and leave.

... plans to visit only to leech.
... doesn't need a forum.

Also, on the over-register count, I think it's going to be time for "spring cleaning".  This isn't final, but here's how I'm thinking: Any account that hasn't been used in over a month gets an email sent to the registered address warning of the inactivity.  If no response is heard in that month, or the response is negative immediately, the account will be deleted.

166 looks good on paper, but it's no good to lie.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 01:01:32 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2003, 02:23:56 pm »

Just so that you know, I joined for the forum and information, and not to leech your MP3's I can't be bothered downloading them anyway, but I have looked at them a couple of times, have been about to download something, then I was thrown off the computer.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2003, 02:47:17 pm »

Don't worry, I wasn't thinking of you, or probably anyone else I've communicated to personally.  It's mostly these folks who come in with nothing to say (or one guy even gave me a "D" grade), leech MP3's, and then flee, leaving a registered account in eternal limbo, making me wonder what I'm even bothering for, etc.

So, no more of that, as soon as I hack the member file script a tad!  (Many of you who I've come to trust will actually get to be passed over, automatically earning the "key", because you shouldn't be punished for what you're not part of.)

The moral of the story is, if you just want MP3's, go load up WinMX, KaZaA, or any of those other clients.  Don't waste my time.

OR *gasp* find and even buy them!
Check out eBay at the moment:

Buy It Now's even
« Last Edit: April 04, 2003, 02:53:49 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

sporkmonkey
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2003, 03:14:19 pm »

Well currently, it looks like I fall into that category. Although I'm not "leeching" -- i thought that's when you steal bandwidth by linking files to other's sites, etc. In any case, all I've done here since i've registered last week has been downloading the music because ... it's good! heh. Specially the Symphonic World one. But I plan on submitting some fanart soon...
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 03:58:43 pm »

i thought that's when you steal bandwidth by linking files to other's sites, etc.

AFAIK, it's really just the first part, "stealing bandwidth".  Or at least that's what I think of those who come just for MP3's.

Anyway, yeah, farart would be good, I don't get a lot of that.  I just had this burst from one person, so I couldn't help but create a section for it.

Hmm, I also have to link to that one guy's page with the insane amount of El-Hazard fanfiction links.  I figure that would take care of me actually having to store / manage anything in that department.  ;)

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2003, 07:43:23 am »

So long as you don't delete my account, then I'm happy. Or Rosh's.

Rob, does this mean that until I can contribute something to EHOL I can't download anything? Becuase the pic of the moment thing isn't working.
If that is the case, then can you tell me something that I could contribute?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 09:23:26 am by larewen_evenstar » Logged

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2003, 09:33:30 am »

If you need a list to help you remember, you can contribute...

1) Fan art

2) Fan Fiction

3) Time on an El-Hazard Project

4) Scans of a book (includes Dojinshis and AIC books with El-Hazard in them) /objects/anything related to El-Hazard that wasn't on the site previously

And, for the record, you have more posts than Rob, so you don't have to worry about being deleted from his "Spring Cleaning".

Hmm?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 09:34:29 am by thegameguy » Logged

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 01:37:04 pm »

Rob, does this mean that until I can contribute something to EHOL I can't download anything?

No, this only applies to MP3's.

Becuase the pic of the moment thing isn't working.

That would be a seperate problem.  Please explain further.

kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 01:50:17 pm »

Um... you mean there were MP3s here? ::shot::

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2003, 02:07:45 pm »

Kiddo, the idea was to allude without being direct ;D

I have little girls here o_O;; (albeit one who declares herself bisexual, but still)

More like:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 02:11:23 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2003, 02:12:37 pm »

But I am a Bi!!!  >:(
Honest!!!
And I feel as if you are insulting me. I think kiddo's pic is scary but cool.

How do I send you fanfiction/art?

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2003, 02:22:23 pm »

No, I didn't mean anything by it.  Breaking it down:

"(albeit one who declares herself bisexual, but still)"

I have little girls here, although one of them says they are bisexual, [implying they might even like the picture and/or not be bothered by it.]  And you're case in point.  :P

How do I send you fanfiction/art?

Email attachments I guess.

Ah hell, what'd I bother with Kiddo's image for at all ;p
« Last Edit: April 05, 2003, 02:24:39 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2003, 02:42:25 pm »

Okay, thanks for explaining that. Pixie and El are the ones most likely to be scared by the pic anyway.

I'll try and either wirte a fanfiction or draw some fanart okay? I think the MP3's are cool, but I have Grokster downloading so I don't really need them, but I'll send some fanfiction/art anyway.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2003, 02:51:07 pm »

I think the MP3's are cool, but I have Grokster downloading so I don't really need them

That's fine, it was to prevent people from registering here strictly to leech n' leave, not to control the sources.  :P  Is that a paid service or just one of those peer-to-peer things?  I wonder if they/someone have 6CD boxset songs, hmm...

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2003, 02:56:07 pm »

I think it's free. My dad got it off of the net, so it sholdn't be too hard to find. They have pretty much everything there, from music to videos. They have some good anime music videos and you can download whole episodes of animes off of it.  

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines