Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:15 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Lyrical Nanoha and the world of Al Hazard?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Lyrical Nanoha and the world of Al Hazard?  (Read 5929 times)
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2009, 09:14:25 pm »

I recently watched the first two seasons of the anime Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha.  It is, in my opinion, an above average magical girl series that distinguishes itself by taking the genre and its associated tropes seriously.  What makes this interesting and pertinent to El-Hazard, however, are a few notable elements of the series that are worth mentioning.  

Minor Spoilers!

First, instead of the typical magical henshin tools the main characters use mechanical "magical" devices.  Secondly, there's an organization called the Time-Space Administration Bureau that patrols the multiverse in dimensional spaceships.  And third, the chief antagonist of the first season is collecting powerful items known as Jewel Seeds in order to break through dimensional barriers and reach the world of Al Hazard, the ancient, legendary capital of their civilization that was lost in a great catastrophe ages ago and where the forbidden, forgotten "spells" that can make any wish come true can still be found.

Now, you have magical devices that act like computers, technology that's so advanced it looks like magic, dimensional travel, and an ancient land where dreams can come true called Al Hazard.  Does any of this sound familiar?  Lamps, Eye of God, the calamity of the Holy Wars, and a land of never-ending adventures known as El-Hazard?  Hm, I wonder...  ;)

Granted, this could and probably is just a coincidence or possibly a small homage, but I've had fun speculating that the Time-Space Administration Bureau and their MidChildan civilization are the descendants of one of the ancient nations of El-Hazard that was transported through time and space in the aftermath of the Holy Wars and managed to retain some of their science.  And one of the most amusing moments of the first season for me was when the head villain announced her plans in a melodramatic speech and powered up her dimensional fortress to reach Al Hazard...or should that be El-Hazard?  ^_^V
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 07:22:07 am »

Granted, this could and probably is just a coincidence or possibly a small homage, but I've had fun speculating that the Time-Space Administration Bureau and their MidChildan civilization are the descendants of one of the ancient nations of El-Hazard that was transported through time and space in the aftermath of the Holy Wars and managed to retain some of their science.  And one of the most amusing moments of the first season for me was when the head villain announced her plans in a melodramatic speech and powered up her dimensional fortress to reach Al Hazard...or should that be El-Hazard?  ^_^V

Yeah, I recently saw the first season of Nanoha and had similar thoughts. It could well be an homage. If it isn't, though, it makes me wonder if "El-Hazard" (or some similar sounding phrase) actually has some meaning in some middle-eastern language. Maybe it translates to "paradise" or something like that.

The 1337 poster
Triple_R
Demon God(ess)

I love El-Hazard!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:43:29 pm »

Here's a neat little fan creation video that I found which borrows from the same idea!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrwYBjHxfIA&feature=channel_page

A heads up, though - Queen Diva is actually fused with a Nanoha character here.
Icy EyeG
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

No El-Hazard, no life!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 03:27:34 pm »

Wow... Al Hazard? When I saw the thread title, I thought it was a typo!  :P

But that's a great find: I really need to see Lyrical Nanoha.  :)

Yeah, I recently saw the first season of Nanoha and had similar thoughts. It could well be an homage. If it isn't, though, it makes me wonder if "El-Hazard" (or some similar sounding phrase) actually has some meaning in some middle-eastern language. Maybe it translates to "paradise" or something like that.

Well... The only thing I could find about that is the word "Hazar", which means "One Thousand" in Persian.
The Hazara people is named after that...   ^^;
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 03:32:46 pm by ice_eyeg » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines