Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:17:14 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Ending scene of the OVA1 musing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ending scene of the OVA1 musing  (Read 5686 times)
stinko4getspwds
« on: October 25, 2006, 12:14:02 am »

For some reason I hadn't read the wikipeida entry for EH until now. When I did, I noticed this remark about the end of the OVA1:

"Soon after, Ifurita is reunited with an older Makoto who has transported back to her with her key, enabling them both to return to El-Hazard together."

I realize anyone can write these articles, but this idea of them both returning to El-Hazard came as a bit of a shock to my simpler thoughts. I always got the impression from the end that they would have remained on Earth instead of returning to EH. The art from the ending credits seems to support this on one hand, although not so much since it's art of all the major characters as if they were on Earth.

Let me know your thoughts on what you think would have happened post-ending for the OVA1 and/or what you thought when you first saw the series and if you've since had second thoughts.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:58:51 am »

The ending is ambiguous enough that you can draw any of a number of conclusions. While it was probably a bit presumptuous of the Wikipedia author to say that they returned to El-Hazard, I'm afraid that the montage of images that play during the closing credits are too inconsistent to draw any firm conclusions as to what happens. Maybe they stayed on Earth, maybe they returned to El-Hazard. Maybe they moved back and forth freely as the whim hit them.

At least, that's my opinion.

The 1337 poster
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 11:19:16 am »

My personal opinion is that since both Ifurita and Makoto can now travel between dimentions (Ifurita gains the ability via Eye of God and I presume Makoto designed a machine to do it, or used the Eye of God himself) that they would spend time in both worlds. Especially since all the people from Earth now have ties to El Hazard, and I don't think they would want to sever all ties with their friends and family back on Earth (though they would either have to come back to Earth x years later, or explain why they are all suddenly x years older). Jinnai is a bit of a puzzle as he does not have the ability to travel between dimentions, but Makoto strikes me as the kind of guy to take Jinnai back to Earth if Jinnai asked.

In the above case, the ending montage makes sense, since it shows many El Hazard characters in Earth settings.

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 04:56:48 pm »

To be fair, the VIZ manga literally states they go back to El-Hazard.  This may be where the author got the idea.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
stinko4getspwds
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:47:41 pm »

I just never say any strong reason for Makoto to want to return to El-Hazard. The *only* incentive is the amount he's aged by the ending scene and an inferred bond he should have made to the other world by that time. Otherwise, he's only concerned with trying to find a way home and later with the mysterious Ifurita throughout the OVA.

Ah well... bloody explicit manga. I shake my fist @ thou!!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:52:59 pm by stinko4getspwds » Logged
tuffy
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 07:03:32 pm »

Presumably they returned long enough to pick up Makoto's friends.  But considering the warm greeting Ifurita gave the Roshtarians in episodes 4 and 5, the notion of them returning to stay in El-Hazard seems far-fetched.  Since she shares his memories anyway, it'd be much simpler for her to live on Earth where she wouldn't be branded a mass-murderer by everyone.
stinko4getspwds
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 09:22:01 pm »

Exactly. Even *if* Makoto had some reason for returning to El-Hazard, Ifurita nuked one of the countries (or cities?) at the end of ep 4. In her words, "I live to suffer and bring suffering to others". Living in a world where she's caused so much death just does not make sense. The only times we even see her happy is when she's with Makoto or sees herself in his memories. She wants to live with him -- in his world.

I just can't see it happening any other way, even jumping back and forth between worlds is out of place. Don't know why the VIZ authur wrote it in with them both returning to El-Hazard, but there it is. Believe whatever you want to... it's a better ending that way.
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 06:52:03 pm »

Presumably they returned long enough to pick up Makoto's friends.

If by "Makoto's friends" you mean Nanami, Katsuhiko, and Mr. Fujisawa then I would have to argue that would be difficult. Both Nanami and Mr. Fujisawa have attachments to El Hazard and Katsuhiko probably wouldn't leave his "legion of followers" willingly.

If by "Makoto's friends" you mean the above, plus most of the main cast of El Hazard, I can't exactly see the three chief priestesses and the princess of the most powerful nation in El Hazard just packing up and leaving.

The idea that Ifurita wouldn't want to return to El Hazard because of her reputation does have some merit, though not many people know what she looks like, IIRC. The people that know what she looks like pretty much consist of the main cast plus some palace staff. Remember that she nuked the city from thousands of feet into the air, where no one could see her. Makoto and the rest of the cast strike me as forgiving enough to take her in if they came back. ;)

Travelling back and forth would probably allivate most issues. Makoto could see his friends in El Hazard and Earth, the people from El Hazard could visit earth (hence the scenes at the end), and no one really gets stuck in one world wishing they could see friends and relatives in the other one.

Of course, it's all speculation, and hinges almost entirely on whether you think the paintings at the end have anything to do with the conclusion (like I do) or are just random art the creators made for fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 08:31:38 pm »

Recommended reading.  This fict was based on those very watercolors.  I enjoyed it and I believe you may also.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4563/1/

or if you prefer

http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/fanfic.html

MJE
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 03:30:16 pm »

I've read that and put my stamp of approval on it ^_^V

(not that that would mean anything, but...)

mistercat
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:38:30 pm »

I appreciate the thoughtful input to this thread!  Let me say, in the way of a disclaimer, that Ifurita is my all-time favorite anime character; and in my opinion, she's the greatest tragic heroine that medium has yet produced.

Regarding the final scene in El-Hazard:  The Magnificent World my opinion is that, were I Mizuhara Makoto, I'd in fact beat feet back to those archaeological ruins beneath the high school and start looking for Iffy there.  Of course, maybe he did return to this planet and was on his way to the ruins in search of her when she emerged from said ruins and showed up outside the high school.

Although I admit it's interesting to imagine Iffy's impact on Makoto's peer group here on Terra, my very first impression of the ending to The Magnificent World was that of a dream sequence in which Makoto's brain has fantasized a joyous reunion and projected a lived-happily-ever-after scenario.  Who can blame his subconscious and unconscious minds for tossing that scenario back and forth?

But then where would Iffy live, housing-wise, on this planet?  I guess she and Makoto could set up housekeeping easily enough, but there's all that inconvenient malarkey involving proofs of age and citizenship.  No driving licenses or work permits for you, Iffy; and no airworthiness certificates or insurance policies either!

Even though the ending scene is beautiful and compelling, I'm sticking with my first impression:  that it's a dream sequence.  Makoto's stuck there on El-Hazard -- pitifully surrounded by gorgeous and intelligent young women who rule everything in sight -- wondering if El-Hazard Iffy will reappear from the Eye of God and further wondering what's become of High School Ruins Iffy.  In the meantime, while he's pondering the implications of space/time travel, there's always Rune Venus ... or Jinnai Nanami, or Shayla-Shayla, or Afura Mann....

:D

=^..^=
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 03:55:00 pm by mistercat » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines