Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:27:05 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Current topic: No Earth Talent in EH? [see inside]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Current topic: No Earth Talent in EH? [see inside]  (Read 14794 times)
mr._cat
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2003, 06:44:20 pm »

Yes, Rob Jinnai, I appreciate the positions both of you have stated.  "It's all good," as the (somewhat worn-out) cliché goes.

What got me going on this was reflection upon Neon Genesis Evangelion, in the context of a non-El-Hazard thread.  But then I used El-Hazard as an example, when I probably should have stuck to NGE.

My main rant-reason was the "schoolboy hero" scenario, which was used in NGE as well as in El-Hazard.  It's no big deal, as I learned to tune out what I consider ballast and concentrate on those characters whom I appreciate.

8)

=^..^=
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2003, 10:14:11 pm »

Thank you, Rob Jinnai!  I didn't make that GIF, however.  I followed inter-net tradition and nicked it from somewhere, but I can't recall where.

Yeah, you nicked it from me bloke! I made that GIF about a year or so ago. Still have it on my FTP. Although the other one I made of Ifurita flying up in your face (taken from the scene where she abducts Fatora from Gallus) seems to have been eaten by the internet. Anyway, here's one of Baiko and Tamasabaro you can nick too, if you like.

Let's take, for example, El-Hazard.  I'd be quite happy to follow the adventures of the Roshtarian royalty, the however-many priestesses, Iffy, et cetera.  But no, along come these idiotic people from Japan to "save" the day for the local inhabitants!

If I had a dollar for every time I've been subjected to an apology for that formula, I'd be a rich man!  I know all the crass commercial reasons for having to have some annoying schoolboy invade a fascinating foreign culture, with everybody behaving toward him as if he was actually a viable character.

Of course, that's supposedly "balanced" by having yet another tourist show up who's a total jerk; who in the blink of an eye manages to become El Hazard's chief criminal.  Please, go back home and take your annoying countrymen with you!

*SHRUGS* Well, young people more often than not become the heroes in anime (just be thankful he wasn't a 9 year old girl). For younger folks, it's someone you can relate to (you know, being a student and all). For the older folks, youth represents optimism and hope (this is why the main chara in anime are often young, even in those series targeted at an older audience).

And well, as stated previously, it's the "fish out of water formula." And for good reason! It's escapism. You travel to an exotic world and meet exotic people, some of whom want your help. Some of who want your head on a pike. That's the breaks. It's fantsy and storytelling (and escapism). And as far as Jinnai goes, he is a "necessary" character. If the Bugrom could really accomplish all their goals, don't you think they would have already? Jinnai represents the Fairy Godmother that comes out of no where, waves a wand and accomplished what could not be accomplished before.

I dunno bro, it makes sense to me. It's just anime after all.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
mr._cat
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2003, 08:09:31 pm »

Thanks, Saucer, for having made that very-nice Iffy avatar!  I'm sorry to have nicked it, but I was in a collecting mood.  I've un-nicked it now, as you can see.

8)

I really inspired everyone here to bare their claws, didn't I?  That wasn't my intention, but such is life.  As you pointed out, it's only anime; but that very point seems to have been lost all around since I made my post.  I've trespassed into a somewhat private place, I fear.

:-X

=^..^=
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2003, 10:41:00 pm »

Thanks, Saucer, for having made that very-nice Iffy avatar!  I'm sorry to have nicked it, but I was in a collecting mood.  I've un-nicked it now, as you can see.

Oh, don't get me wrong. You're welcome to use it! I just wanted to let you know who the creator was. ;D It really caught me by suprise though, I was like "Whoa, wait a minute!" BTW, mind if I ask where you got it from?

I really inspired everyone here to bare their claws, didn't I?  That wasn't my intention, but such is life.  As you pointed out, it's only anime; but that very point seems to have been lost all around since I made my post.  I've trespassed into a somewhat private place, I fear.

Not necessarily. I, personally, am probably one of few people who didn't like Trigun. And I've written rather heated rants about it on a couple messageboards. But as they say, "to each his own" I suppose.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2003, 03:26:55 pm »

I started this topic and it has gone to pots, I no longer know what is going on.  :o

All I know is that we were talking about Gullivers Travels a while back. So could someone please fill me in?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2003, 10:02:51 pm »

Usually once a thread gets this far out, there's not much point to trying to "fill in".

All I know is that we were briefly discussing El-Hazard Earth characters as being important versus Mr. Cat's opinion.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2003, 12:28:28 pm »

Seeing as all this has gone to pots, I will leave this topic for the time being.

One question though, this topic is for random non-EH topics so how come it's still in under El Hazard?

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2003, 12:32:21 pm »

I moved it out, but then Neil moved it back because for one second it reflected "Current topic: No Earth Talent in EH? [see inside]", as he wrote.  But I can kick it back.

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2003, 01:26:19 pm »

It's just that one minute, this place is full of random stuff, then suddenly it's full of EH stuff. And that's when I got confused.

erin-chan
Londs' Screen Time

Ok, generic pictures 'til I get non-sucky webspace

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2003, 04:43:34 pm »

8) *no longer really the topic, but here goes*

I think which characters are "good" is just a matter of personal opinion; I've actually known people who think Ifurita is a ridiculous fantasy babe with way too many cleavage shots, which is some ways, she is. ;) Keep in mind I've been following El Hazard in one way or another since...1997, I guess it was? (I am almost positive my Ifurita shrine was the first one online. And just look at the Ifurita shrines since then, they've grown by...*counts* Umm...two?) So, I've run across fans/detractors of every single character.

I'm pretty easy because I like everybody, at least in the orginal OAV. After that, it does change a little. But, I don't begrudge big fans of the new characters any.

MmMMmm...Menchi burgers.

Londs: The unsealing of the Eye of God is a NO SMOKING event.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2003, 05:11:02 am »

Come along now, Erin... I know you're a HUGE fan of the Termite Queen from Alternative World...

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2003, 06:58:06 pm »

Erin-chan, is that website The Shrine of the Demon God or some such? That was a great website back in the day, and definitely the only Ifurita shrine around for the longest time. BTW, could you toss the link at me again? I seem to have lost it again. ^^;

xcroc
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2003, 08:46:04 pm »

I just want to say that I don't think El-Hazard would be as good without the earth people in it. Although I don't really care for Makoto very much, Jinnai and Fujisawa are two of the funniest characters I know, and are some of the main reasons I've been interested in buying the anime in the first place. Also, Nanami's a cutie, and the more cute girls an anime has, the better, I say.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 08:46:50 pm by xcroc » Logged
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2003, 08:55:39 pm »

Alternatively, my sister is somewhat turned off to the anime because there aren't enough cute guys for her to eyeball.  What can I say.  :P

Of course, let's remember that Mr. Hayashi himself put it so simply -- "I like girls."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 08:56:55 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

xcroc
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2003, 09:01:55 pm »

Hm. I would've figured that the presence of so many ass-kicking women would make it more appealing to female fans, since there are so many other anime where the women are scarce, and put into roles where they don't really do much of anything. I think it's really cool how all the strongest characters are female for once.

But hey, what do I know, I'm not a girl.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines