Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:34 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard GBA Text RPG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard GBA Text RPG  (Read 4507 times)
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

ICQ Messenger - 16562382 AOL Instant Messenger - Meijer+Bran+TM
View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 02, 2006, 12:22:51 pm »

just got my card and i wanted to try the game out. It had some problems at first after hitting new game, but it started to work after a couple of tries.... ha just randomness i thought i would share.. (by the way, that picture quality is not so great because it was taken with my cell phone)
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 12:26:07 pm »

hmmm... i'm not quite sure what appand... but i'm thinking its when a song played or something and it totally freaked out on me... thats always cool... well i'm just playing with it... it's fun..

edit: it made it pass that point a second time around... i'm guessing its just a little buggy. but so was the original, no offense to rob and whoever else worked on the game.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 12:38:28 pm by jopn » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 03:58:47 pm »

Sometimes there are bugs, sometimes the flash cart "mis-flashses" (happens more often than you might think) and sometimes it's just that you missed some subtle/stupid thing you had to do.  Sometimes something you didn't even realize was doing anything, such as talking to townspeople a few times.

For the record, I played the latest site version (the one you used in your picture here?) all the way to Chapter 5 without problems.  I only stopped because... it's a lot of time and tedium to get even that far in one shot.  :P  It's far from perfect but not worth my time to work on it anymore.  I'd like to do the whole thing over -- my way instead of Saturn way -- but that's just a passing thought at the moment.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:18:15 am »

well yeah besides minor crashes... it works pretty good. it still does some of the things the original did though like never make it past a point and just keep repeaing a scene over and over again... but hey, thats the beauty of programming.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 03:13:47 pm »

oh by the way robert, the link for the endings for the game is broken on the site.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 06:44:04 am »

I saw this listing on ebay

"Although this Game has been used the condition is great... it comes complete with its original sleeve and booklet... this is ideal for fans of the Anime series!!! Please mail me with any questions and while you are here why not check out the rest of the shop for classic Sega Saturn games!!! Here is a review I found for the game: ''Shinpi no Sekai: EL Hazard'' or ''El-Hazard'' is a game that was based on a Japanese anime that was originally made as an OVA in 1995. There was a spin-off series of this called ''The Wanderers: El-Hazard'' that was a 26-episode TV series made in 1996. This game has more basis on the Wanderers than the OVA. Though this game was in Japanese (and I don't know Japanese), I knew El-Hazard. My older brother and I have taken a particular interest in the series (and bought DVDs for his freshly-bought computer DVD player to prove that). After watching the first episode, we were hooked. While this seems to be a bit off track, it isn't. While looking around on-line, we found a FAQ for this game (courtesy of GameFAQs). We knew that we had to play this game. We went so far as to buy a Sega Saturn with an Instant Replay device to play the game. When they both came, we started to play this game. What we expected was an RPG of some kind. What we got was a different, original story for the El-Hazard Universe. Then, there are your favorites. Makoto Mizuhara is the boy genius who, basically, the whole universe revolves around. With the ability to control ancient El-Hazardian devices, there is nothing that can stop him... except a giant boulder, an all-out Bugrom invasion, Galus, two women fighting each other, or plain stupidity. Nanami Jinnai is the younger sister of Katsuhiko Jinnai. She makes the best boxed lunches (bentos) according to Makoto. Her ability is to see through Phantom Illusions... which will prove very much needed later in the game. Then, there's Katsuhiko Jinnai, the school president. The man with the master plan, Lord God Jinnai. His insanity is only stoked when Makoto tries out his new device (which is a blend of OAV and TV series beginnings, using the Tomb and the big coils). No matter what, he always believes that Makoto is out to one-up him. He becomes the leader of the Bugrom Army. This is very bad, because he can carry out his ambitions to take over the world. And he will if you take your sweet time. Masamichi Fujisawa, usually called Fujisawa, gains the ability to lift and punch through practically anything with his hands alone. This, though, is heavily affected when he drinks a lot. Shayla-Shayla is the ''shoot first, ask questions later'' kind of person. Always anxious to fight, she carries the Lamp of Fire to attack her opponents. She's pretty powerful and very dangerous when provoked. Harboring a secret crush on Makoto, this is one match-up that Rob and I know will never be fulfilled. Afura Mann is the Great Priestess of the Shrine of Wind. She can be described in one word, but to keep this review clean, I will work my way around it. She is self-centered and is basically a ''me-me'' kind of person. She's a female dog (not really a dog, you know what I mean). Miz Mishtal is the cliche of the El-Hazard Universe. She is 29 years old and is the caretaker of the Shrine of Water. She is also the one that Fujisawa is supposed to get. Yes sir, nothing says ''love'' like a woman whose hormones always seem to net this guy. Then, there is Ishiel Soelu. She is an original character, and completely new to the universe. I grew to like her. Her existence was quite justified, since she seems to be the hidden desire of Fujisawa, shown by the full-audio video of him just gazing at her. This is something no one can write. It's clearly on his face. Unfortunately, to follow in the footsteps of the OAV and TV series, she cannot be gotten by Fujisawa. We really hoped he get her, but... One of the greatest parts of this game were the graphics. Though they were still-framed, they were drawn in 15-bit glory. And they were literally drawn cels, so the ''anime feel'' to the game was very much there. To compensate for the lack of action, the game used a character box to show their movement in the set room or area. Their movement was ''seen'' by the boxes moving around. The emotions were portrayed quite nicely as well, because the boxes provided with showing of their mood. Overall very pretty and great looking. (9/10) Remember that I don't know Japanese, so Rob and I had to do some more guesswork than anything else to guess what's going on. Of course, sometimes the faces portray enough to speak wonders to us. And it didn't kill to have background on the series. We know this series like the back of our hands, and that makes this game more enjoyable. Of course, we still don't know the main point of the story. The sound effects... were pretty dumb at times. Especially when Makoto throws the water ring. It sounds like... well... not something I would play when you throw something. They were just adequate overall. (6/10) The music was pretty good, but they played it over the FM Synth chip inside the machine. It was not very impressive. It was, still, an El-Hazard game, and it has its place in the universe. It's just not great. Perhaps the reason why they did that is because they used about 520 megabytes putting the pictures on the CD. (7/10) This is nothing more than a visual novel, so the game was not very hard to control. One button advances the text boxes and choose menu options. One button turbo skips. One button enters the Options screen during dialogue. Nothing too hard or complicated. (9/10) To truly enjoy this game, it wouldn't hurt to know something about Japanese or the El-Hazard series. If you have neither, this is not the game for you. If you have either, you may enjoy it. (5/10) This game is also varied in endings. There are plenty of endings to choose from, about eight, that would suit just about anyone's taste. The Priestesses Ending is certainly one of the more, well, interesting endings. The Diva Ending has Jinnai on a chain (which is just hilarious). So, there are plenty of ways to beat the game. (10/10) The verdict for this translation of an anime series to an original Saturn game? ******** out of 10. P.S. ...this was something that could not be had. Rob and I knew that this was El-Hazard and we had to do something. ''Translating'' this game, we moved it from the Saturn to the PC then to the GBA. The rest is history on EH PC."

ummm... is that actually you? or is it just someone stealing your description or what.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Saturn-EL-Hazard-Japanese-Adventure-Nr-Mint_W0QQitemZ8264572118QQcategoryZ112806QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it talks all about porting the game and stuff, yet it's a store that is selling all this stuff, so I was just curious.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:32:54 am »

Hah, wow it took me a minute to figure out what was going on with that.  I didn't recognize the text though it sounded like it came from either me or my brother... it's not actually taken from THIS site, but apparently my brother did write a review for the game on GameFAQs, which is here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/saturn/review/R56261.html

Anyway, no, I'm not selling anything.  That was just an interesting copy + paste job by someone who didn't really bother to read what they were putting in.

Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:45 pm »

haha yeah i thought that was odd seeing that guy on an ebay auction... i was pretty sure it wasnt becaus it was in british pounds...
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 10:06:52 pm »

However, I would be amused to no end if someone actually did package and sell one of my ports.  I always keep hoping one day that might happen.  :[

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 12:16:50 am »

However, I would be amused to no end if someone actually did package and sell one of my ports.  I always keep hoping one day that might happen.  :[

Wouldn't suprise me either. Stranger things have happened. ^.^;;;;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines