Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:34:20 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Thinking: System Update for Site Splits [UPDATE]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Thinking: System Update for Site Splits [UPDATE]  (Read 5041 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:19:52 pm »

As I briefly noted here,, I'm considering expanding my server to be opened to other anime titles that all use the same basic left-side menu buttons, right side content, top-side customized graphics for the series (but same basic layout, I assume for ease of integration and consistency.)

See, the way it is right now, it already loads simple HTML files that lack standalone header tags (e.g. <title>, <body>, etc.) Example, see the trinkets page as just itself:
http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/site/goodies/trinkets.html

These headerless files are loaded into the default table space that's always to the right of the generated menu buttons.  This has worked pretty well without actually resorting to a frames-based page that seem to upset so many people (and tend to not allow my flashy graphics to stay generally in place. :P)

The point is, all that's needed to add a content page is to have someone write up their article or whatever in very simple HTML and upload it to have it instantly integrated.

The only problem is right now you have to do everything by FTP and configure long, semi-complicated looking links -- Example, the real trinkets link:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/cgi-bin/eholpage.cgi?series=NA;menu=3;content=goodies/trinkets.html

-- and there's still a lack of actual centralized sorting or control.  Eventually I'd like to build an interface panel (maybe over XMas break?) and then give privledged access to the "underground" by some security system.

FYI, here's what I'm thinking in terms of a centralized control panel:

* Specify a whole slew of buttons to make a "menu" (note Trinkets link has "menu=3"; you can play with that link if you'd like and see the other numbers)

* Include ability to customize buttons of menu (probably will have to get rid of graphical buttons, or at least substitute them with tables that look similar) so that new buttons can be made without manually making them from the graphical template.

* Obviously specify each button's destination

* Have ability to upload the bare HTML pages in appropriate directories.

* Ability to upload images or other media that may be desired in the page.

All of it controled in some central panel.  It shouldn't be too hard, just has to be done.

What I'm not sure is what the security of it should be.  Should it only be granted to long-term members we trust?  Should it be allowed to any yahoo who can pass the Fujisawa exam?  (Giving freer general populace editing something like a Wiki.)  Really I'm looking to have more updates happening without me explicity having to do the work cause I know I fall behind on emails and whatnot.   :-/  I still have some stuff in my inbox that's months old now.  But because of the lack of interface, it takes time to upload and link material, especially new stuff, so I get lethargic and fall behind.

Another idea is mixing the two, such that instead of allowing outsiders to directly edit the pages, they're allowed to put their new materials in a "drop box" or submit corrections to some sort of "suggestion box".  Then myself and some of you guys could act as moderators and decide whether to accept or reject the material.  Accepting it would include selecting where to drop it in.  With all that, there could even be automatic simple news logged to some file that would immediately notify of updates without you needing to explicitly write it up.

Any suggestions or "go for its"?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:49:19 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 05:43:01 pm »

I think the second idea is best, IMHO. It's good to leave moderation up to long time members. But alot of us can't always come up with new material all the time. Though maybe we'll be inspired by submissions from new members? At any rate, I'd be glad to help moderate Bob. Anything to bring some action back!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 07:31:37 pm »

But alot of us can't always come up with new material all the time.

Even some of the time is better than none of the time multiplied by a lethargic webmaster.  :)

Anyway, that's why I was thinking public submission along with moderation.  Then we get best of both worlds; all potentially good content from anybody, not just "us", but still under the control of "us".  And then maybe when this gets underway, someone will be kind enough to buy some sister domains (e.g. keyonline.net, etc.) and then the new specifics will get special attention rather than just being marked as subsets of the El-Hazard main.

stinko4getspwds
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 10:26:35 pm »

Never let random people u don't know edit u're pages. Never. A place like wikipedia works only because they have so many people there that anything that's changed is liable to be checked within minutes/hours.

Make sure whoever does the final edits are people you trust NOT to mess up u're website.

I would have to agree with Saucer on the suggestion and/or drop box would be the better way to go.
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 11:53:58 am »

I also like the dropbox idea. That keeps the website in the hands of those that can be trusted (and can actually build a good webpage) but still allows anyone with a bit of news to submit it for perusal. (Of course, any new news would be checked for validity first, if possible ;) )

Anyway, what other anime were you thinking of adding, if you don't mind my asking?

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:59:03 am »

Okay, testing out new system.  It's almost ready to accept new hosts.  The test account is here:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/cgi-bin/eholpage.cgi?series=newdefault

Note also that direct links to the EHOL main page can still be the classic

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/index.shtml

or the new style

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/cgi-bin/eholpage.cgi?series=El-Hazard

I only bring that up because possible future subaccounts might use that to bridge between themselves and/or be used for links elsewhere.

A "series" defines the site as a whole, all files accessed off the webserver have a primary subdirectory known as "[series]", so it's pretty much the main name.  Notice for example all El-Hazard Online links are now engineered with "series=El-Hazard" in them.  That tells the generator script where to source information from.

All series use the same basic template, but utilize their own graphics and content.  The test account above is ugly, but deliberately so to show the positioning of the border graphics for possible future works.  I did this on purpose since I'd like to see other series attached to this site as "sister sites" which all look basically the same layout-wise.

The login system, which grants full power to configure menus, upload/alter/delete files, and change basic site configuration information will have a single, server-verified username / password login per "series."  E.g. for this site, the account name is "El-Hazard".

My question now is -- Is there anyone here who would like to volunteer to be a member of this high-power control position?  I'm particularly thinking of older members I've known a while and can trust, such as Saucer, MrWhat, dooky, etc.  Also specify if you're interested in being in control / main creator of one of the "sister sites."  Ultimately it's -my- decision to dole out these powers, so don't feel bad or get angry if I don't give you the credentials.  :P

I haven't yet decided what "sister sites" I'm personally planning to make.  At the very least I probably want to make one for Key, as I've mentioned.  Other than that, nothing even remotely definite.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 11:21:36 pm »

Hi Bob. I'd like to volunteer for one of these "high-power control positions." ^_^ Also maybe if possible, once we get things rolling, I'd like to create a Kimagure Orange Road sister site at some point. Thankie

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 12:06:56 am »

I'm particularly thinking of older members I've known a while and can trust, such as Saucer, MrWhat, dooky, etc.

I'm flattered, but I'll have to pass.  Given my bad luck with practically all other message boards (and my drama-prone temperament online), I would suck as an administrator.  I'd prefer to remain a "creative consultant" and a struggling Japanese translator.

If anyone is taking suggestions for expansion anime series-- the most under-represented series in my Top 10 is probably You're Under Arrest!.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 01:20:52 pm »

Nah, it's not so much that you'd be an "administrator" in the sense of really being delegated expected responsibility.  I'm just saying like being able to perhaps make notes on existing pages or update translations of yours if they're on the site somewhere, stuff like that.  But that's okay, just brought up your name to note that it's a "trusted" one, it's by no means a push.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines