Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:01:04 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  While we're on the topic of other anime & fiction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: While we're on the topic of other anime & fiction  (Read 6038 times)
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« on: April 23, 2005, 08:49:53 am »

I FINALLY managed to watch all of Martian Successor Nadesico, with the exception of the Prince of Darkness movie.  Plan to remedy that situation tonight.

For some reason I don't seem to be able to watch a series through until it's at least four or five years old.  Princess Nine was an exception, though that fine series seems to have an even smaller following than El Hazard does.

Seems I have a penchant for series that leave massive openings for back stories and continuation ficts.  As you all know I've dabbled into that arena myself from time to time with a couple different series.  Doubt I'll be all het up to write anything for Nadesico anytime soon, however, mostly owing to the fact I'm starting a "new job" again!  

(Actually, it's an in-company transfer.  My last day as a signal technician for CN Rail on the Grand Trunk Western in Indiana was yesterday.  Monday I report to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin where I'll assume the role of a CN signal supervisor on the former Wisconsin Central property.  With that, I'll be busy learning new faces and names, new signal equipment, and a new set of work rules [as I leave the craft and enter the management ranks.])

So it's nice to set back, read some of the Nadesico body of work, and let someone else drive for awhile.  

I pulled a couple from both MediaMiner and Fanfiction.net.  One I managed to read last week I really liked called Chasing The Darkness.

http://www.mediaminer.org/fanfic/view_st.php/3327

Verdict is still out on Truth & Consequences:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/850424/1/

Is anyone aware of a Nadesico forum?  (Like any forum out there can hold a candle to this one...)

MJE

Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

It is the dream of those who remember.

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2005, 09:23:43 am »

Although I really liked Nadesico, it never occured to me looking for fanfic about it -- perhaps because of the anime being mostly a comical series, I was left with the impression that there was no need to add anymore to it. Going back to that other topic of ours, after the last episode, I said "yeah, that was ok", put the fansubbed VHS tape back into the shelf, and never looked back to it for the last five years. It is a fine series, and given the opportunity I would gladly buy the manga or watch what is left of the anime (if they produced anything beyond The Prince of Darkness), but -- at least for me -- it missed the "something else" it would take for me to become a fan.

Even so, perhaps I'll give the Nadesico fics a chance, after I get through with my current PSIII drive. Who knows? Back in 97 I was all out for Sailor Moon fanfiction, even though the anime itself was just alright for me.

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2005, 09:29:05 pm »

Nadesico was a great series, though I felt the TV series' ending was a bit abrupt and rushed. Fortunately we have the Gekigangar-3 OVA and Prince of Darkness movie to help tide us over. I hope you enjoy the movie Mark. I liked it alot, but it kinda rubs alot of fans the wrong way. It's a bit darker and..... well I won't give anything else away.

Princess Nine was a great series, too. And, like Nadesico, very underrated in this country. I think ADV expected both of them to go over a little bigger, like they did in Japan. At any rate, while I'm not much of a sports fan, I do love the drama and tension of sports manga and anime!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
kajishima_masaki
Bugrom Forces

Just Another Day.....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:23:50 am »

Been awhile since I was here. About Nadesico, I just have a question, will they ever continue it? ???Because the series ending and Prince of Darkness left room for a continuation, and raised more questions and plot holes and I don't hear anything about a future series to this wonderful underrated series.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 07:45:58 am »

I was kinda "meh" on the whole Nadesico thing... I guess my overall impression of it was positive, but I felt that it just had too much trouble deciding what it wanted to be. Probably the most glaring example of this was the almost formulaic Drama->Comedy->Drama pattern it set up - you could almost predict whether the next episode was going to be semi-serious and dramatic or light-hearted and comedic, simply by looking at the episode you were watching. ("Hey, this episode is pure mania! Guess the next one's gonna be a downer. Bummer.")

The movie was okay, but was clearly aimed toward fans of the franchise who have access to material (like the novels) that we English-speaking fans typically do not. Sure, there was recap to help you get caught up, but it was pretty inadequate. The dark, serious nature of the movie didn't bother me too much. In fact, it kinda fit with the pattern I just mentioned above. XD

As for Princess Nine, I liked it a lot. Though I was really, truly disappointed with Ryo toward the end... I thought that they put way too much emphasis on the romantic tension and not nearly enough on the sports drama. Sure, it's a shojo piece, but even so...

The 1337 poster
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 11:55:38 pm »

It's been a long time since I watched Nadesico.  It was a lesser favorite, I guess.  Spanner nailed it-- the serious bits and the wacky parts didn't seem to come together, for me.  Never seen the movie.

One of the long-neglected ideas on Eric's fan-fiction Idea Pile is Hikaru, Ryoko, and Izumi as elemental priestesses...

Princess Nine is, sadly, the last anime I've watched to date.  It's not from any of my usual genres, but I liked it too.  But every time I see Chairwoman Himuro, I think of the Photoshop'ed image with two beer cans in her hair.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines