Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:34:32 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Question about DVD's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question about DVD's  (Read 4814 times)
Vash
Londs' Screen Time

I love El-Hazard!

AOL Instant Messenger - Himurakenshin687
View Profile Email
« on: March 15, 2005, 03:16:35 pm »

What the heck is the difference between an FX dvd and an Import with dub's and subs.  I ask this cause I was about to buy 140 dollars worth of anime.

"Like a dream from a time faraway, A sweet memory lingers from the distant past...."
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:41:39 pm »

What's an "FX" DVD?  Is that a pirate company or something?

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't imported DVDs usually not have dubs or even subtitles?  My general experience with Japan (assuming for anime, of course) imports is that they only contain the Japanese original audio.  (After all, what else would they really need?  It'd be like an American movie being released with a Japanese audio track in Region 1.  It could happen, it'd just be odd and kind of wasteful... a Spanish and possibly French dub are the only ones that make sense for US/Canada distribution.)

Of course, "import" might mean from Hong Kong, which suddenly makes the picture very clear. :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

ICQ Messenger - 16562382 AOL Instant Messenger - Meijer+Bran+TM
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 05:59:09 pm »

FX is a pirate company that I have purchased a few of my dvd's from. I regreted to have bought El-Hazard from them because the video is terribly interlaced. You can see lines when watching it on a home dvd player and if you want to watch it on a computer you'll hate it. But I also purchased Love Hina from them which was excellent quality. So it just depends. I have the real El-Hazzy dvd's now and there is a great difference.

(Rob I sent you another PM by the way)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 02:21:54 am »

Yeah, got it, Jojo.  I have a feeling that I won't be answering my PMs until Spring Break or the end of the semester, though... :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

ICQ Messenger - 16562382 AOL Instant Messenger - Meijer+Bran+TM
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 06:03:49 am »

Alright, it was just about getting the site up and fully running so its just why i wrote you the message so this site can look more pretty!
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 08:31:10 pm »

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't imported DVDs usually not have dubs or even subtitles?  

Usually not. But lately, I've been seeing some Japanese anime DVDs that come with english subtitles as a way of helping Japanese learn english (I believe all of the Studio Ghibli region 2 DVDs have english subs, but they're also released by Buena Vista so.... ). Sort of like Kodansha's Bilingual Manga line which features english dialogue (and usually better translations than their american-published counterparts) right along the original Japanese.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
tuffy
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 07:41:49 pm »

Usually not. But lately, I've been seeing some Japanese anime DVDs that come with english subtitles as a way of helping Japanese learn english (I believe all of the Studio Ghibli region 2 DVDs have english subs, but they're also released by Buena Vista so.... ).

All of the Ghibli titles have english subs and some even contain english dubs if they were available at the time.  But the sure way to check for pirate DVDs are ones listed as "R0" or "region-free" along with Chinese subtitles.
nirvana
Bugrom Forces

A Wandering Dreamer in the Land of Beautiful Girls

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 05:47:57 pm »

Buy the distro DVD boxsets people! They're about to fade away into the obsurity of the Geneon/Pioneer old school anime vault...T_T

"Like a dream from a time faraway, a sweet memory lingers from the distant past. Like a kingdom that you reach. After many years of dreaming, El-Hazard is the eternal homeland and the land of never-ending adventures. As long as there is a challenging
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines