Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:24:32 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard names analysis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard names analysis  (Read 8986 times)
ohkiyi
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 07:30:47 am »

Shayla is an Irish name.  the conotation of why it is repeted twice is beyond me but her name in the irish language refers to Shelia which is from the old Celtic, Sile, of which is derived from the Latin Vulgate Cecilia...which means "blind".  I also heard from a friend of mine that the derivitive of Shayla in some circles of Irish legend means to have a great passion for something...a firey heart... ;D
Shaylas Raven
Londs' Screen Time

Kirin

ICQ Messenger - 15835793 AOL Instant Messenger - TheRavenIsDead
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2005, 07:40:05 pm »

Pan (bread) comes from the portuguese word pão (also bread). As far as arigato is concerned, I don't think it has a portuguese relation (as far as I can see  ^^; ) because "Thank you" in portuguese is Obrigado....

Drop the b, harden the d and ya got Origa(t)o. :D  Sounds close.

Could have been the way the japanese prnounced it over time, after hearing it for a while. Unless arigato isnt portugese in nature to begin with ^.^;
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 07:41:54 pm by theravenisunskill » Logged
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2005, 09:03:48 pm »

So, in summary, Shera-Shera could be mountain tiger or tiger relative or mountain relative... :) Ok... Maybe I went too far with this....  ^^;

Brings to mind a certain red-headed tiger-girl from the mountains of China who appears in the Fairy Gods digital novel series.  ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Icy EyeG
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

No El-Hazard, no life!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 08:40:41 am »

Brings to mind a certain red-headed tiger-girl from the mountains of China who appears in the Fairy Gods digital novel series. ^^;

Almost a year later....  ^^;

Fairy Gods digital novel series? Never heard of it... What is it?
You're not talking about the game called "Le Roman de la Rene à Gertruds", which is from the same author of the El-Hazard series, are you?
Here's and image of the artbook (I only have the artbook and not the game itself...  :bawl )
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 08:41:20 am by ice_eyeg » Logged

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2005, 12:53:31 am »

Fairy Gods digital novel series? Never heard of it... What is it?

By Milky House. Elf girls and battle mah jong! (Warning, links are not work-friendly)

Legend of Fairies

Fairy Nights

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Mysthe
Londs' Screen Time

Oh my, I have felt in love with El Hazard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2007, 09:47:46 am »

I'm really really sorry to write in such an old post, but I have just discovered El Hazard last month so...
 I am currently studying classic japanese and I cannot let someone tells that "aligato" comes from portuguese. It was already attested during the Heian period (8th to 10th century) where no Portuguese never put a foot on any japanese island. I can if you want explain you precisely where it comes from. Oh and "pan" comes from the french word "pain". Hum absolutely out of question.
 And I was really surprised too to see the name of the Demon god spelled "Ifurita", whereas it should be "Ifrita" or "Efreeta" if you want. Japanese isn't a language where you can put 2 consonants without a vowel between them (except for the n). So when Japaneses impots foreign words that do so (in this case, the word "ifrit"), they use the vowel "u", which is deaf. In this way, the vowel isn't prononced and you can have artificially 2 consonnants put together.
 A lot of Japan girls have a "mi" (beauty) or a "ko" (princess) in their names, but yes, maybe it was made for. And I would hardly not believe that "Makoto" (truth) is simply for the sound, it is not a so common name.

Again sorry sorry really sorry for writing in such an old post.  ^^; I had discovered El Hazard during that month and felt in love, and your site is really great, thank you.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:24:34 am by mysthe » Logged

Forgive my poor english, I am french ^^;
Icy EyeG
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

No El-Hazard, no life!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2007, 10:39:06 am »

I'm really really sorry to write in such an old post, but I have just discovered El Hazard last month so...

No problem and I'm glad you acknowledge the fact that this is indeed an old post. Welcome to the forums!  ^_^V

I am currently studying classic Japanese and I cannot let someone tells that "aligato" comes from Portuguese. It was already attested during the Heian period (8th to 10th century) where no Portuguese never put a foot on any Japanese island.

Arigato originating from Portuguese is an urban legend.

Oh and "pan" comes from the French word "pain". Hum absolutely out of question.

I really thought it came from pão... Oh well
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_words_of_Portuguese_origin I knew I saw it somewhere...  ;D

And I was really surprised too to see the name of the Demon god spelled "Ifurita", whereas it should be "Ifrita" or "Efreeta" if you want. Japanese isn't a language where you can put 2 consonants without a vowel between them (except for the n). So when Japaneses imports foreign words that do so (in this case, the word "ifrit"), they use the vowel "u", which is deaf. In this way, the vowel isn't pronounced and you can have artificially 2 consonants put together.

Yep, see my post above. The same thing happens with Afura (Afra), which is a name used here in Portugal, at least.

A lot of Japan girls have a "mi" (beauty) or a "ko" (princess) in their names, but yes, maybe it was made for. And I would hardly not believe that "Makoto" (truth) is simply for the sound, it is not a so common name.

Well.... the character is pure hearted, so "truth" does fit him.  :) However, I usually see it as a girl's name.... but in Japan there are many names that are "unisex".

Again sorry sorry really sorry for writing in such an old post.  ^^; I had discovered El Hazard during that month and felt in love, and your site is really great, thank you.

A bump is always welcomed when you have something important to say (which I believe is the case)!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:52:53 am by ice_eyeg » Logged

Mysthe
Londs' Screen Time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 09:08:26 am »

Thank you ! :) I love Japanese language too and I've spent so many years studying it... Oh and Jinnai means jin = amenagement of an army, nai = inside, which I found funny.
 I arrive so late  :-/ but... last but not least lol

Icy EyeG
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

No El-Hazard, no life!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 03:08:20 pm »

Thank you ! :) I love Japanese language too and I've spent so many years studying it...

I also like it a lot, specially because both the portuguese and japanese culture have some things in common *points at the wikipedia article in my previous post*

Oh and Jinnai means jin = amenagement of an army, nai = inside, which I found funny.

Don't you mean quarters or barracks?
It sure is funny: Jinnai: barracks inside   ;D

Mysthe
Londs' Screen Time

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 09:41:54 am »

Much more like quarters, but sure Jinnai barracks inside  ;D

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length