Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:48:32 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Conversation with Associate; OAV3, EHOL
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Conversation with Associate; OAV3, EHOL  (Read 13819 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:30:36 pm »

SuperSonic227: Greetings.
I am Jinnai: Been a while
SuperSonic227: Indeed, but I have some very interesting news to pass on to you.
I am Jinnai: Alright
SuperSonic227: This pas weekend, I went to a convention called "Anime Sound and Vision", and Hiroaki Inoue (Producer for AIC Studio) was there. He had worked in a large number of titles over the years, including the Tenchi series...and possibly various parts of El-Hazard. However, the interesting part was when someone asked him about El-Hazard, and he said that yet another OVA was being very highly considered at the moment, and production of it may begin (although he sounded more like it WILL begin) after they're finished with some other projects first.
I am Jinnai: Oh, that is interesting
SuperSonic227: Since he mentioned that anime titles that are in the works these days often take the american audience into some consideration, I told him that american fans very favorably wanted another continuation to the OVA.
SuperSonic227: He said that the sentiments in Japan were the same.
SuperSonic227: He also said that planning of the next El-Hazard has not begun YET...but, again, sounded very confident about it happening.
I am Jinnai: Hmm, interesting. Consideirng I'm pretty sure the Japanese were the ones to have the plug pulled on the OAV3
SuperSonic227: *shrugs*
SuperSonic227: Perhaps the recent attention of the newer Tenchi series revived interest.
I am Jinnai: It's possible
SuperSonic227: Take it all with a grain of salt for now, but still...this is the best possibility to indicate something new since it came from the Horses's own mouth.
I am Jinnai: Indeed
SuperSonic227: Furthermore, his translator knew of your site. ;P
I am Jinnai: Seriously?
SuperSonic227: Yes.
SuperSonic227: El-hazardonline.net
I am Jinnai: Now that's amusing. :P He say anything interesting about it?
SuperSonic227: Not in particular, I just mentioned I knew the person who ran it when I heard her mention it.
I am Jinnai: She mentioned it in what context? An example of American appeal or what?
SuperSonic227: It was actually referring to an e-mail account or something, I just heard her mention it casually in a conversation. Then I mentioned to her that I knew the person running it.
SuperSonic227: and took the chance to say to her and Inoue that fans in the west wanted to see an OVA sequal.
I am Jinnai: I'm just trying to figure out who knows it and if it matters
SuperSonic227: Beyond this, I don't think I can help figure much else out.
SuperSonic227: I'm not sure if she even mentioned it to HIM.
I am Jinnai: Alright, fair enough. It's just interesting that anyone in any position knew anything.
SuperSonic227: But, again, what's important is that the higher-ups know we exist.
I am Jinnai: I always wondered if I'd happen to be noticed at some point. ;P
SuperSonic227: I wouldn't be surprised if you were.
I am Jinnai: Okay, I guess we'll just wait and see now.
SuperSonic227: Again, they're paying more attention to the american fan bases because of just how much anime sells over here now.
SuperSonic227: DVD sales in the US are multiple times what they are in Japan...especially for certian types of franchises.

Reminder of course: Just be careful, he's confident in this news... but it's not an official confirmation by any means.  Plan for the series/OVA/whatever itself haven't yet begun, but were talked of it confidently enough like it WILL happen and is officially being planned.  (I.E. Designs, writing and the like would begin after other projects currently in the works are done.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 10:34:57 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 12:06:14 am »

Bloody buggering hell, this is potentially excellent news...

I sincerely hope that this (if it happens) will be a continuation rather than a remake. Other than that... well, it's all speculation.

Personally, I'll be hoping for the long-awaited Princess Fatora spinoff series ^_~

dooky

PS- Rob, did you get that EH/Sailor Moon thingy I sent you?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 12:08:37 am by dooky » Logged

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 12:23:32 am »

PS- Rob, did you get that EH/Sailor Moon thingy I sent you?

Ah, yes I did.  I just forgot to do anything with it... such as emailing a reply.  ;D

I'm curious to know what it'll mean if my site is really known among some higher ups.  If anything at all...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 12:24:42 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Shaylas Raven
Londs' Screen Time

Kirin

ICQ Messenger - 15835793 AOL Instant Messenger - TheRavenIsDead
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 04:13:39 am »

Now THIS is news I've been waiting to hear for a long time. Even if it still can only be considered speculation, This is way better than hearing nothing at all.  ^_^V

BTW, sorry about the new account. HasWeb went into lockdown during a profile update a few days ago and deleted my second account. So here is number three. Third time is usually the charm, eh?  -_- ^^;

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 08:24:54 am »

When Sv4's done, I promise to make the forum changeover top priority.  ^^;

d.t.
Bugrom Forces

Kishin No Sekai

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 01:42:55 am »

Sorry, hate to have to ask this, but... Who is SuperSonic227, and is there reason for me to believe he's not just making this up?  Sorry to be so suspicious, but I've been burned A LOT over the years...

"You're going to dump me, your childhood friend, for a little chippie with a precocious set of melons?!" -Nanami
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 12:46:52 pm »

Sorry, hate to have to ask this, but... Who is SuperSonic227, and is there reason for me to believe he's not just making this up?  Sorry to be so suspicious, but I've been burned A LOT over the years...

He's a guy I've known about four years and not too long ago attended Otakon with.  He performed custom subtitling on the Sonic X series after the dub was regarded as piss poor by the Sonic fans.  He's performed on numerous occasions at various conventions, including two performances at Otakon; one was a two-hour bit on ALL of Gundam and another was one of those on-stage thingies, forget their name.  Since he organized his two performances AND got me in to do an El-Hazard panel (free admission!) AND organized the whole scenario that would have me drive from Pittsburgh to Bethesda to Baltimore all in one day, picking him up in the process, this guy is a serious information manager and excellent planner.  He's also helped me sincerely on a game project before.  He's really 100% trustworthy.  I will fully believe him easily when he says he attended a convention like this and overheard such news.  I have no reason to doubt him.

Of course, even so, he's warned as I put in the disclaimer -- it's still just a "maybe," so nothing here shold be taken as a definite happening yet.  But there's possibility, and you should be hopeful for that.

Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 10:46:21 am »

If Hayashi isn't attached to direct (which is very likely)... well, I won't be "not interested", but "less interested".

I mean, where else can the story go?

Maximum boobage!!
Shaylas Raven
Londs' Screen Time

Kirin

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 11:46:34 pm »

I could think of many ways it could play out in a 3rd OAV.

They could go into detail about how Makoto finally achieves his goal of bringing Ifurita back to El Hazard. Or they could have an adventure involving Earth itself. Personally Id like to see that, but I dont know if that would be the way it would play out.

Though after reading Ken Wolfe's awesome El Hazard: Earth fanfic, I dunno if any sequal could ever live up to it. That was a masterful piece of writing. But I'm sure they can pull off a great continuation.

In any case, Id rather have a new EH series than no EH at all.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 12:00:25 am by theravenisunskill » Logged
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 12:57:44 am »

In any case, Id rather have a new EH series than no EH at all.

Actually, I'd rather have no El-Hazard than bad El-Hazard.

*still remembering the atrocity of Alternative World*

I Care Deep
Shaylas Raven
Londs' Screen Time

Kirin

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 01:05:21 am »

I didnt mind AW. Great? no. Good? no. Below average at best. The plot holes really put me off at times. But I didnt hate it outright.

If they manage to seal up the holes in the 3rd OAV, then maybe I'll like it more than I did.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2004, 09:19:41 pm »

"Potentially excellent news" indeed! I knew it would happen someday, and I kept sighting similar examples..... no let's just hope it pans out. ^^;

It's true that anime studios are finally looking at foreign markets and realizing that there is an audience outside of Japan!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
tuffy
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 01:34:12 pm »

Finally, Hiroki Hayashi can get on board and create "the Magnificent Adventures of Nanami" 5 episode big-budget OAV spinoff.  ;)

But seriously, unlike Tenchi Muyo!, El-Hazard already had a fine OAV conclusion.  And unless the original (and sequel-averse) creator returns, I don't see much of a need for more - as much as it pains me to say it.
belldandyfan
Londs' Screen Time

Demongods last longer!

AOL Instant Messenger - Belldandyfan
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 06:38:44 pm »

Ahem.. first... let me just say... prematurely... TOLDYA!!!

I posted some while back in the love triangle thread that this was a real possibility since a lot of definative Anime works were getting a lot of new attention.

Works like  Tenchi Muyo are getting picked back up from the ova plotline, Fist of the North Star is being redone as of recently, classics like One Piece are appearing on kids saturday morning cartoons in the states, And if you're a fan (like me) of Ghost in the shell you know all about the GITS TV series... and the second gig 2nd series...

oh... and for you fans of Ahh megamisama... Yes.. There is even  going to be a brand spanking new Oh My goddess TV show kicking off very soon with all the orginial voice actors from the first ova.

As has been said before... all things old are new again.

It was just a matter of time till El Hazard got picked back up .. dusted off.. and people were reminded of exactly how good it really is.

Mark my words... they will do another show of it... but the thing they have to watch out for is them dumbing it down or just churning out another "cute" anime.. El Hazard and cute do not mix IMO.

El Hazard has some small comedic moments.. but for the most part it's strength lies in it being serious, smart, and sexy

I could think of many ways it could play out in a 3rd OAV.

...In any case, Id rather have a new EH series than no EH at all.

Couldn't agree more... right up till the pref of new El hazard being better than no El Hazard..

I can't countanance crap.

That said... there are only a few ways to mess up Elhazard...

Sure fire ways to ruin El Hazard
1. Put too much emphasis on cute.
(El Hazard is not Hello Kitty, and Ifurita should not play the role of Mihoshi unless she is deliberately doing it)

2. make everyone a buncha kids (Naruto this isn't... El Hazard is an anime for young adults to adults.. young Rune Venus making goo goo eyes at Makoto is just not right.. in case you couldn't tell the TV series is not my idea of good ElHazard)

3. Send Makoto off with some other girl.. wrong.. Makoto belongs with Ifurita.. period... you mess up that chemistry.. you ruin the show.

4. Remove Fatora.. (GAH... unthinkable)

5. Have Katsuhiko not be the cackling madman he is

6. Dumb down the show... I mean come on this was a show built on the temporal paradox of time loops allowing two lovers to meet across 10000 years for the first time and for the last time in 10000 years. I mean you gotta at least have some sorta brain in your head to watch it.

7. Introduce a new character that is sure to irritate the fans.

It's such a solid show that only a few things can really mess it up...

But as you said.. there's a lot of directions they could take it.. Personally I'm in favor of a more serious and dark bent to the show.

For example.. Let's suppose it picks up a few years after AW..

(now now.. I know a lot of people have a problem with AW .. but me I think it has some interesting things in it that harken back to the time loop of Makoto and Ifurita... specifically I think that Quorul is actually their progeny.. but that's something for later discussion)

Now that Rune has a reason to support Makoto's desire to master the Eye of God, (She'd like to get her beau back, the guy that she left behind in the AW, and Makoto may be her only chance to reunite with him) it's likely that Makoto would therefore get all the support he needs to accomplish his task of retrieveing Ifurita.

Katshuhiko would of course hear of this and his measure of desperation would grow... He seek to find a way to gain some sort of equity of power ("If Makoto is reunited with that traitorous Demon God, we'll never be able to conquer the Alliance...unless..."...ect)

Now, suppose he goes off and wakes up a Demon god (Hey..he may be a fine tactician, but after waking up Ifurita and having her turn on him.. you'd think that he'd learn not to stick keystaffs into strange female demon goddesses (But then again.. he's a guy, huh)  However this Demon god is unlike any of the others we've encountered so far... it has a purpose that it plans to carry out.. and it's not to destroy the world.. but to conquer it.

I mean the whole Holy war of El Hazard was fought over something.. it had a reason... and the two sides fought each other for dominance of power over El Hazard... it didn't just happen.

Okay.. so here's something to consider... If you're a fan of Ghost in the Shell... the one thing that more or less seperated humans from the AI's they'd created was the existance of a Ghost... or soul.  On that basis.. humans had rights.. AI's didn't... and they could be created and destroyed at will.

Since this was a Holy war.. what could be more "holy" then the question of souls... Perhaps AI's like Ifurita were becoming so complex that they acquired souls spontaniously... and this created an untennable social situation.

This social/philosophical stress sparked the war.. On one side were people trying to fight for the "human" rights of all ensouled beings.. and on the other side.. people who believed that the AI's were only machines... and that therefore they must not be given such entitlements least the human race be destroyed through machanical revolution.

Obviously the people using beings like Ifurita employed enslaved AI's in their warfare.

Maybe Katsuhiko wakes up another DemonGod in an attempt to counter the rising power of the Roshtarians.. and inadvertantly has started a chain reaction.

That  demongod is determined to revive more of his own, and finish the holy war their way (his last command from his master was  to sleep until awakened, and then destroy the enemy forces while they lay complacant...

This would fit in perfectly with the whole Zoroastrian mythology theme that runs through the show of a final battle between good and evil... with Makoto filling the role of the  saoshaynt (for more info on that.. here's a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroaster that will explain the idea of the Saoshaynt)

Anyway... It could be really interesting if they just dont' try and make the series something it isn't. Keep it as a  serious story,  rather than just a buncha gags like the TV show was.

If they opted for a serious and heavy story, they could make something as good as the first series without too much trouble in the plot department.

-Crosses fingers that they do make the new series.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 09:15:54 pm »

But seriously, unlike Tenchi Muyo!, El-Hazard already had a fine OAV conclusion.  And unless the original (and sequel-averse) creator returns, I don't see much of a need for more - as much as it pains me to say it.

That's the ideal closing statement.  But it's too late; the can is open, and the majority of us are waiting for more.  ;)  Plus a lot of us were upset with the way AW turned out and keep hoping they might do better next time.  We're a little sad that way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 09:16:18 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines