Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:40:59 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Conversation with Associate; OAV3, EHOL
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Conversation with Associate; OAV3, EHOL  (Read 13796 times)
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2005, 09:10:04 pm »

I love the idea of another EH! I just think it's way too early to be getting excited. They haven't even made it a plan yet, and after that there's still the chance that complications might occur and the OVA might be abandoned. I think I remember Rob saying that AW effectively killed El-Hazard's sequel potential, so I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think it's going to happen...

A similar thing happened to a new Final Fantasy series that was being worked on. It was called Final Fantasy Gaiden, and it was supposed to be a re-telling of FFVIII from Seifer's point of view. And they actually got past the planning stages and put out a promotional video of Seifer and co fighting a Cactuar, but then the project was canceled due to "complications". I have a feeling it might have had something to do with the fact that FFVIII wasn't very popular compared to the rest of the series...

PS. d.t, Cute picture! I wonder where you got it...?
Vash
Londs' Screen Time

I love El-Hazard!

AOL Instant Messenger - Himurakenshin687
View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2005, 08:50:58 pm »

^_^V hi I am new to this site and love it and this news is very exciteing to me.  Unfortunately I watched The Wanderers first, so when I got the OVA's I was a little sceptical.  Upon watching it I love the OVA's Far more then the TV series the series was good but the plot and characters were just better in the OVA's.  
I would have to agree with what was said before I was alittle disappointed with the was the first OVA's ended.  :'( so I am hopeing begging and pleading with whatever power there is that they make the ova's about how he finally is able to figure out the eye of god and reunite with Ifurita.  I think that would make the most sence in AW he was still trying to figure it out and so I think it would make perfect sence to end it with the actual showing of how they are brought back together.  what does everyone else think?  ^^;

"Like a dream from a time faraway, A sweet memory lingers from the distant past...."
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2005, 09:21:10 pm »

AW was disapointing to me initially because it didn't end with any more answers than it started with, really.  In fact, overall it was kind of like "random adventures of our favorite characters +1 thrown into a non-El-Hazard scenario."  I think the only true redeeming value in AW was the Jinnai + Shayla dynamics.  I know my sister was well amused by Dall as well, though.  And enjoyed the angst of Gilda, IIRC.  Allujah was sort of an interesting character... but only in concept, since his precise definition is vague.  There were a few other things here and there as well, like furthered development of Miz and Fujisawa's ad hoc relationship.  But anyway...

From what I understand, the original OAV3 project was to answer all the great questions of AW and unite everything with a big climatic thing, but was canceled mostly due to the failure of AW in the market and I believe many angry fans.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Vash
Londs' Screen Time

I love El-Hazard!

AOL Instant Messenger - Himurakenshin687
View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2005, 01:42:51 pm »

I agree with you about AW I just found it alittle upsetting when I first watched the ovas to find that in the first one he is able to find her at the end but it didn't show how. Then in AW he still hasn't found her and is trying to still.  I guess I am just excited to see how they are reunited and perhaps they could go alittle further into there relationship alittle after they are runited.  but then again contuineing it like that could also ruin it.

"Like a dream from a time faraway, A sweet memory lingers from the distant past...."
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2005, 08:34:43 pm »

I agree with you about AW I just found it alittle upsetting when I first watched the ovas to find that in the first one he is able to find her at the end but it didn't show how. Then in AW he still hasn't found her and is trying to still.  I guess I am just excited to see how they are reunited and perhaps they could go alittle further into there relationship alittle after they are runited.  but then again contuineing it like that could also ruin it.

Greetings, Vash-san.  Welcome to the forum.

I'm a big fan of the original OVA for many of the reasons you posit in this thread.  Shortly after I'd seen the OVA in its entirety, I learned of the existence of several fanficts specifically written to tie together these very plot threads.  

Probably the biggest reason I'm an EH OVA fan is because of Ifurita and Makoto.  A friend and like-minded individual named Ken Wolfe also happens to be a pretty decent writer.  He took upon himself to create a wonderful continuation series in which we learn how Makoto and Ifurita were reunited, and how their life together unfolded amid the chaos of postwar Roshtaria.  The "Earth" and "Reunited" stories are some of the finest fict works I've ever read.  Perhaps you might enjoy them too.

http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/

http://www.mts.net/~kenwolfe/fanfic.html

Ken and I still correspond from time to time, as we created some additional EH works together.  He's spent time living in Japan, which helps make the "Earth" story in which Ifurita and Makoto return to Makoto's home country all the more credible and interesting.

--me

M. J. Engels
Signal Technician
Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen LU 14
CN Rail
Valparaiso, Indiana  USA
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2005, 08:42:39 pm »

What my previous post has to do with the topic at large is this:  several, myself included, believe that if Hayashi animated the plot from Ken Wolfe's Earth series and released THAT as OVA3, the result would be satisfying and compelling.

But that is merely our humble opinion.  Read the story and judge for yourself.

--me

M. J. Engels
Signal Technician
Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen LU 14
CN Rail
Valparaiso, Indiana  USA
d.t.
Bugrom Forces

Kishin No Sekai

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2005, 12:04:19 am »

I have NO idea where I got the bunny Jewel... erm... possibly from you?  ^^()  Seriously no clue.

Mark:  Sorry to say I have to disagree with you.  I actually disliked Wolfe's take even more than the AW take (which is a LOT really).  They both felt like they had missed a lot of what made the original so magical (particularly by having so much of the story take place outside of the Arabian setting), but some things in Wolfe's story just particularly rubbed me wrong (Nanami impaling Nahato and smearing his blood around seemed especially gratiuitous and out of place for the light hearted El Hazard world).

Regarding the "Alternate Universe" project someone mentioned, I have a nagging feeling it was GXP that was being discussed. After all, the mech from Dual appears in it (effectively making Seina, supposedly the most unlucky character in the universe, the single most absurdly powerful character in just about any Pioneer Anime.  SERIOUSLY).
« Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 12:10:39 am by d.t. » Logged

"You're going to dump me, your childhood friend, for a little chippie with a precocious set of melons?!" -Nanami
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2005, 09:01:33 am »

I'm afraid I have to agree with d.t., Mark. While I DID enjoy El-Hazard: Earth, I feel that it lost a lot of the "feel" of the original El-Hazard series (a problem common to all but a few gems of fanfiction, actually, for any series). Whether it was because it went "too far" here, or so-and-so seemed mischaracterized in this scene there, or it could use more silliness here, it was rare while I was reading it that I thought to myself, "Boy, reading this makes me feel like I'm watching El-Hazard."

This is by no means a critique of the quality of the story. It was an excellent work. But I consider it to be of the same sort of story as, for instance, the Ranma story "Waters Under the Earth" - a fantastic and well-paced epic tale, but not one that feels like the original source material. Many fabulous stories have been told in fanfiction, but only a scant few feel like an actual continuation.

On the other hand, El-Hazard 2 and El-Hazard: The Alternative World both lost a lot of that "El-Hazard feel" as well. If I could turn back the hands of time, and had the choice to replace those episodes with an animated version of El-Hazard: Earth, I'd do it in a second. :P

Really, though, what we'd all REALLY like to see is our El-Hazard Round Robin animated. Now THAT would be something. ;D

The 1337 poster
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2005, 10:48:49 pm »

I have NO idea where I got the bunny Jewel... erm... possibly from you?  ^^()  Seriously no clue.

For what it's worth, this page has the story of Oolong the rabbit.  It doesn't say who first made the famous "I don't know what you're talking about" graphic.

By the way, I blame all of you for my new avatar.

I'm afraid I have to agree with d.t., Mark. While I DID enjoy El-Hazard: Earth, I feel that it lost a lot of the "feel" of the original El-Hazard series (a problem common to all but a few gems of fanfiction, actually, for any series). Whether it was because it went "too far" here, or so-and-so seemed mischaracterized in this scene there, or it could use more silliness here [...]

I enjoyed EH: Earth, but I guess I never gave much thought to its "feel."  I guess "feel" doesn't really matter that much to me.  I'm a comedy writer (despite HNA), and Wolfe's work is a bit heavy, for my taste.  And, very generally speaking, the last part of Earth "went too far" and got too weird, for my taste.  But the great story in the first five parts, and his masterful writing in general, still make Earth a classic in my book.

I never gave much thought to "feel" in my own work, either.  If I can keep everyone in character, and if I can come up with a story that hangs together (cough) Alternative World (cough), then I'm happy.  Actually, I think The Charm has some of the feel of the first OVA.  HNA certainly does not, but then, I always meant for it to be something of an experiment.

Really, though, what we'd all REALLY like to see is our El-Hazard Round Robin animated. Now THAT would be something. ;D

In the immortal words of Kelly Bundy...  The Mind Wobbles.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

ICQ Messenger - 16562382 AOL Instant Messenger - Meijer+Bran+TM
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2005, 05:30:19 am »

I'm liking the avatar :-D
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2005, 09:46:31 am »

Yes, quite clever there, MrWhat.

rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2005, 02:00:18 pm »

By the way, I blame all of you for my new avatar.

...Poor Ifurita.  :bawl

I enjoyed EH: Earth, but I guess I never gave much thought to its "feel."  I guess "feel" doesn't really matter that much to me.  I'm a comedy writer (despite HNA), and Wolfe's work is a bit heavy, for my taste.  And, very generally speaking, the last part of Earth "went too far" and got too weird, for my taste.  But the great story in the first five parts, and his masterful writing in general, still make Earth a classic in my book.

I never gave much thought to "feel" in my own work, either.  If I can keep everyone in character, and if I can come up with a story that hangs together (cough) Alternative World (cough), then I'm happy.  Actually, I think The Charm has some of the feel of the first OVA.  HNA certainly does not, but then, I always meant for it to be something of an experiment.

While I usually enjoy reading El-Hazard fanfiction, I have not been overly fond of many tales that attempt to 'conclude' the saga.  Personally, I conceive El-Hazard as a semi-dream world for the Earthlings.  Makoto is part of a romantic love story and has a challenge/adventure with a beautiful woman waiting for him at the end of it, Fujisawa is now a hero of sorts and has a family, Jinnai has a purpose, an empire to command, and the chance to conquer the world, and Nanami has her own business.  The special powers they received have helped them realize their current situations (with the arguable exception of Nanami although if El-Hazard is ever continued I would dearly like to see her power help make her dreams come true in some manner).  'Ending' El-Hazard often involves ending the dreams in one or more ways, particularly where Jinnai is concerned, and this goes against part of what I consider to be the 'feel' of El-Hazard.  

...It also probably doesn't help that I'm a big fan of Jinnai, and many El-Hazard stories that seek to bring the tale to a close tend to focus more on Makoto and Ifurita rather than strive for a balance between Fujisawa, Makoto, Nanami, and Jinnai.   -_-

Really, though, what we'd all REALLY like to see is our El-Hazard Round Robin animated. Now THAT would be something.

I think such an endeavor might come close to bankrupting Pioneer's animation studios.  Just how long is that round robin anyway?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 02:01:32 pm by rowan_a._seven » Logged
d.t.
Bugrom Forces

Kishin No Sekai

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2005, 07:44:49 pm »

Actually, the original plans for AW appear to be very different (apparently when Makoto first finds Kauru she was originally meant to be being pursued by a strange robot, made with technology similar to the Eye of God's key).  Wouldn't mind seeing what was originally planned (Provided it wasn't meant to end with Makoto getting eight wives like poor Seina in Pioneer's GXP).

Interesting backstory to my avatar.  *Looks at rabbit with more respect.*  

Mr. What, I salute your weirdness.  Truly you are an inspiration to us all.  

Spanner - Actually what we'd really like to see (and by "we" I'm only speaking for myself and a few others I know of) is the next chapter of your delightful  "Wandering Souls" Altiverse.  Do you intend to ever go back to that story?  The long hiatus saddens me...

"You're going to dump me, your childhood friend, for a little chippie with a precocious set of melons?!" -Nanami
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2005, 08:32:21 am »

Actually, the original plans for AW appear to be very different (apparently when Makoto first finds Kauru she was originally meant to be being pursued by a strange robot, made with technology similar to the Eye of God's key).  Wouldn't mind seeing what was originally planned

Wait, where'd you get that from?

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2005, 09:04:06 am »

Spanner - Actually what we'd really like to see (and by "we" I'm only speaking for myself and a few others I know of) is the next chapter of your delightful  "Wandering Souls" Altiverse.  Do you intend to ever go back to that story?  The long hiatus saddens me...

Wow... I'm certain this is not what you want to hear, but I haven't thought about that story in a long time...

I finished half of the second chapter before grinding to a halt. I have lots of ideas in mind for future scenes I want to write but, as always, I make no promises. Wandering Souls is, I'm afraid, not near the top of my list of things I feel like I should get around to doing. Like balancing my checkbook, which I haven't done for several months. ^^;

I definitely hope to finish at least the second chapter someday, but I'm afraid this story will very likely join the ranks of stories out there that are started and never finished. Man, I'd hoped I'd never inflict that kind of pain on fandom, but what will be, will be.

The 1337 poster
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines