Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:39:06 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Oct. 23rd, eh?  Forum Tech Discussion Time!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Oct. 23rd, eh?  Forum Tech Discussion Time!  (Read 6670 times)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 12:04:15 am »

Sorry for my delayed response, I have no valid excuse. At any rate Bob, I think a forum/site separation would take care of the problem. Certainly, it would necessitate users setting up seperate accounts. But alot of sites now, especially BT trackers like Boxtorrents and Hongfire require seperate log-ins. And unless you have cookies disabled in your browser (or you log in frequently from a public or work computer), I don't see it as being much of a problem for users.

The latest version of YaBB has some cool features (and a few dumb ones like +/- Karma Points which are basically a tool for backbiting... but it can probably be disabled too), and you should be able to upgrade the forum to it w/o losing any posts or accounts.... in theory at least. I'm not sure how your h4x0r to the current forum would affect and upgrade though. ^^;

As far as offering content to non-members....... it's your call ultimately! You're the one who painstaking culled all of these El-Hazard trinkets from all over the place. The only thing I'll say is that making people sign up sort of encourages them to become part of the community (in theory at least, doesn't quite work that way on my site/forum). 100GB of bandwidth a month certainly is more than enough to cover it though! My gawd.....that's alot ::is jealous::

PHPBB is OK, but somehow it kinda rubs me the wrong way (reminds me of AnimeNation forums, I suppose). And Bob, I love ya man but if we go to EZBoards I'm commiting seppuku over a live web feed! J/K Do what you gotta do boss!

P.S. - POTM is an endless source of entertainment, please retain it if feasible!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 12:17:18 am »

The latest version of YaBB has some cool features (and a few dumb ones like +/- Karma Points which are basically a tool for backbiting... but it can probably be disabled too), and you should be able to upgrade the forum to it w/o losing any posts or accounts.... in theory at least. I'm not sure how your h4x0r to the current forum would affect and upgrade though. ^^;

The posts themselves will translate fine... and if I'm removing tied site registration I can probably just use it vanilla... the only thing YaBB has never supported is my custom skinning.  They only expect solid coloring.  Of course, maybe something can be done using CSS tricks I'm not aware of...

The only thing I'll say is that making people sign up sort of encourages them to become part of the community (in theory at least, doesn't quite work that way on my site/forum).

In theory indeed.  We have almost 600 site registrations... how many post here?  :P

PHPBB is OK, but somehow it kinda rubs me the wrong way (reminds me of AnimeNation forums, I suppose).

It's OK.  The option seems unpopular enough I won't bother.  It was just a suggestion if anyone didn't like the YaBB... but I'm not getting that notion.  ;)

And Bob, I love ya man but if we go to EZBoards I'm commiting seppuku over a live web feed!

Been there, man.  I won't do that. I swear.  :P

P.S. - POTM is an endless source of entertainment, please retain it if feasible!

Definitely.  Since it's disk based and best tied to the forums, it'll probably just move along with it.  At least the scripts will.  I imagine the picture hosting can remain el-hazardonline.net specific.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2004, 09:46:17 pm »

Sweeeeet.

dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 07:15:35 am »

It's OK.  The option seems unpopular enough I won't bother.  It was just a suggestion if anyone didn't like the YaBB... but I'm not getting that notion.  ;)

Well, I'm quite a fan of phpBB myself- It's just so customisable, and you can conceivably base an entire site around it (hence maintaining a unified login system). The decision's yours, of course, but I thought I'd speak up in favour of my preferred system.

dooky

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2005, 01:30:38 am »

I've already started compiling a story-only version for my own use, awhile back, in-between bouts of real life panic.  I'll continue this, as time allows, with the goal of posting it on FF.Net.

I just spent about six hours trying to post the EHOL Round Robin to FanFiction.Net, with one turn per chapter.

Apparently, FF.Net does not support stories longer than 200 chapters.  And apparently, FF.Net does not offer a warning when a story exceeds this limit.  The story simply disappears.

I went to the Help page for an e-mail address to request recovery of my incomplete story, if possible.  I got this message:
FanFiction.Net's Support System is currently offline while a new version is created and installed.

And then, I got this message via e-mail.
MrWhat,
Title: "The El Hazard Online Round Robin"
[cut]
Main reason for removal: "''"

the above story has been removed because it violated the guideline detailed on the upload page.

This infraction has been recorded and once you reach a certain limit, your account be automatically banned. Moreover, as a result of this infraction, you will not have upload access for a period of time.

I've been locked out of my account until January 9th, literally for no reason.

On January 10th, I will delete my fan fiction from FanFiction.Net.  Between their asinine upload filters (exactly why is it necessary to filter out asterisks and underscores?), their shoddy treatment of some fan-fiction friends of mine (here's the latest example), and this, I've had enough.

I still have a nice clean story-only version of the Round Robin.  I'll put it on echoalpha.com, and I'll look into MediaMiner.org and the Tenchi Muyo! archive (I think there's enough TM! content to slide it in there) as time allows, and after I've cooled down.

If someone else wants to post it to The Pit Of Voles, then they can copy my work from echoalpha.com, and they can deal with those damn-fool user-hostile idiots themselves.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 10:39:09 pm by mrwhat » Logged
Shaylas Raven
Londs' Screen Time

Kirin

ICQ Messenger - 15835793 AOL Instant Messenger - TheRavenIsDead
View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2005, 03:59:05 am »

I just spent about six hours trying to post the EHOL Round Robin to FanFiction.Net, with one turn per chapter.

Apparently, FF.Net does not support stories longer than 200 chapters.  And apparently, FF.Net does not offer a warning when a story exceeds this limit.  The story simply disappears.

I went to the Help page for an e-mail address to request recovery of my incomplete story, if possible.  I got this message:
And then, I got this message via e-mail.
I've been locked out of my account until January 9th, literally for no reason.

On January 10th, I will delete my fan fiction from FanFiction.Net.  Between their asinine upload filters (exactly why is it necessary to filter out asterisks and underscores?), their shoddy treatment of some fan-fiction friends of mine (here's the latest example), and this, I've had enough.

I still have a nice clean story-only version of the Round Robin.  I'll put it on echoalpha.com, and I'll look into MediaMiner.org and the Tenchi Muyo! archive (I think there's enough TM! content to slide it in there) as time allows, and after I've cooled down.

If someone else wants to post it to The Pit Of Voles, then they can copy my work from echoalpha.com, and they can deal with those damn-fool user-hostile idiots themselves.

What a buncha a**holes. Ima delete my (small) work too, I dun want to support a site that ends up treating its users like dirt...

I'm sorry you hadta go through that.
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 10:53:21 pm »

(Pardon the thread-jack in progress.)  My story-only near-text-only back-up of the Round Robin is here, if anyone wants it:
http://echoalpha.com/fanfic/EHOLRR.html

I deleted about two-and-a-half of my "scenes," and I tweaked a few other bits of mine, but hopefully, I didn't foul-up anyone else's replies.  Let me know if I need to fix anything.  There might still be a few fonts and things that need to be cleaned up.

Again, my compliments to the other writers.  If you sit down and read this thing from beginning to end, it all comes together really nicely.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 11:16:02 pm »

FYI, I've chosen NOT to move this forum to my other server... since I'll probably be off to a big ol' university by next fall (God willing) and at that point probably won't pay for the DSL that runs said server... so, you're stuck here for a while.  I'll just have to come up with a better backup routine.  ;)

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 11:46:30 pm »

Well, works for me! Better than having no EHOL forum at all. Good luck at Univ Bob!

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2005, 12:15:14 pm »

Well, works for me! Better than having no EHOL forum at all. Good luck at Univ Bob!

... assuming firstly I get accepted and then "A way out of a financial mess is discovered as if by magic!" as foretold by my fortune cookie (acceptable student loans and whatnot) ... then, yes, I'll put your luck wish into a jar and open it when the time is right.  :P

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines