Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:54:53 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Video Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Video Games  (Read 9999 times)
xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

I will do anything to make my Master happy

AOL Instant Messenger - KowaiNoNeko Yahoo Instant Messenger - xxdemongodxx
View Profile WWW Email
« on: October 13, 2004, 03:32:45 pm »

I loves them. they are most of my life. my precious video games. lately I've been hooked on alot of nippon ichi games like disgaea, la pucelle, rhapsody, and the newest one, phantom brave. I just can't get enough. I want to unlock everything in these things. I finally got the goddess ring in la pucelle and I have the angel shoes so I pretty much kick butt and take names in that game. when I'm not watching anime or at the arcade playing ddr and initial d, I'm at home playing video games while I chat. yep yep, I'm an A-1 geek, but that's okay. I got told once that I am too old to play video games. I just gave the guy a really odd look and said, "Um...you know I know alot of people that would skin you alive if they had heard you tell me that" *grins* I guess that's why I like playing Ifurita so much. I can so see her using that key staff as a game controller and kick the tar out of bugrom on the console. mwahahaha. eat my dust, bugs! hehe ^^

Punish me Master! I've been a bad demon god. ^^
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 03:37:28 pm »

My sister is 24 and she still plays video games.  I need more game players.  You guys will HAVE to indulge in my fantasic creations once they're completed .   -_-
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 03:37:53 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

AOL Instant Messenger - holyknightwayne
View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 05:13:00 pm »

Heck, I've played videogames more than when I was a teenager. (Not by much, admittedly, since they were always a large fraction of my time; but a little.)  :D

I play a lot of RPGs, in particular the increasingly mediocre Final Fantasy games and others-- most recently Skies of Arcadia and Square's Threads of Fate. I haven't played Disgaea or any of the other games in that line (I only recently got a PS2).

And speaking of which, for the last week or so it's been Guilty Gear X2 and Dynasty Warriors 4 (in which my brother's been playing most of it and has been trying to get ultimate weapons; I help out with my custom general, Wong Wei ;D), and a little bit of FF5 (I've never finished it, and I like the job system).

I'm always a year or two behind on games, since I like to wait for the prices to drop a bit before getting anything; it only makes sense. But yeah, I'm a big gamer as well-- so are a lot of people around my age (22), and even my father plays computer games a lot. It's not that rare. :]

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 05:18:28 pm »

My sister is 24 and she still plays video games.

Indeed... playing Megaman X Command Mission right now. Which so far isn't sucking... so far... Capcom has disappointed me much lately. But the game seems to be pretty unsucky at the moment. I hope they make more like it.

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 08:28:13 am »

I think you'll find that you're in good company here. It's been my experience that Anime fans are very, very frequently also video game fans - especially the ones you meet on the Internet. El-Hazard Online is no exception to this.

As for being too old to play games - HAH! I'm twenty-nine, and my life pretty much revolves around video games. I'll be a controller jockey until I'm old and grey, make no mistake. XD

I sometimes wonder whether the age of the average gamer in Japan is much older than that of the American gamer. In America, there's this rampant stereotype that video games are kids' toys. As far as I know, no such stereotype exists in Japan.

The 1337 poster
xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 09:29:15 am »

I try to wait til the prices drop sometimes, but sometimes I just want to test out the game so badly, I cannot hold back. *laughs* my friend took me into game stop recently and I saw a poster for that new game by working designs Growlancer or something of the like and how it comes with all this cool nifty stuff if you reserve it so I was all, "Oohhhh, I want!" and I walked over and handed over my five dollars. then after we left, when I got home my other friend on the phone was all,

"you do know that you just reserved a ninety dollar deluxe package right?"

me: really? what all comes in it though?

"well you'll get both games, something about a t-shirt, you know how working designs are, kinda the same thing they did for lunar and lunar 2"

me: wheee, that's cool then. I can't wait!

"I wish I could be as carefree with my money too."

me: *pfft!* not like I have a real life anyways, think of it this way, this is the money that I would have spent on going to hang out with friends, booze, dates, restaurants, etc. I don't have any need for that at this time so it doesn't really matter.

because he just doesn't understand that video games are like my life and everything else is in the way of my game time. you! get out of the way! you're in the way of my game time! lol. I'm not that bad all the time but sometimes I can be.

I'm pretty bad though I have like seven games I am still in the middle of and have not beaten. its like a new one will come along and I'll buy it and be all into it and be like, "wait...wasn't I supposed to be finishing another game right now?" ...... "oh well!" *continues to play game* lmao. that's awful. lol.

xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 10:28:12 pm »

Oh My God, I didn't know you could harm your own party members on Phantom Brave on the Isle. I just accidently bumped into one and it took life off. I was all, "OOPS!" though I guess if I really wanted I could do that to level up but it costs so much to bring people back to life so I think I'll stick to my usual running around and leveling.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 11:20:15 pm »

Can I get any of you (sans ifurita who got a booster off-site :P) to be remotely excited about a screenshot like [this] then?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:20:29 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 12:12:05 am »

I've been playing video games even before video EXISTED.

Ok, maybe not, but I still love the damn things. I recently got an X-Box just 'cause the supposed "Greatest Game of All Time" (i.e. Fable) was coming out for it. Although Fable was a bit disappointing, I discovered a much better treasure in the xbox library.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is perhaps my favorite game of all time. It has officially unseated Final Fantasy III (VI to you purists) as my #1 fave game. I've been completely obsessed with this game, and have currently been immersed in it for months now. This game has made me into a Star Wars fan again.

I Care Deep
Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

AOL Instant Messenger - holyknightwayne
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 01:43:25 am »

Rob-- Pretty cool. Is that from a game you're working on or something?

I always thought El-Hazard would be best suited as an RPG-- I suppose a weak puzzle game like the Saturn one wasn't bad (could've been a lot worse), but one of the primary draws to the show was the sense of mystery and exploration (and a world where the chicks had all the combat power, but I digress ;D).

Speaking of which, if there were better anime-based fighting games than the atrocious DBZ ones, a game with El Hazard characters would be cool (not enough for their own game, though; unless you wanted to toss in noncombatants). But naturally neither of those will ever happen.

Jinnai-- Yep, KOTOR is one of the best games I've played this year. My top five or so of games always have some Bioware or Black Isle titles up there... Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 2, Knights of the Old Republic. They've had some duds (single-player Neverwinter Nights? :/ Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel?  :'(), but both companies make (or used to; in BIS's case) some great games.

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 08:07:57 am »

Can I get any of you (sans ifurita who got a booster off-site :P) to be remotely excited about a screenshot like [this] then?

Heh. It gets ME excited. ^_^

Speaking of which, if there were better anime-based fighting games than the atrocious DBZ ones, a game with El Hazard characters would be cool (not enough for their own game, though; unless you wanted to toss in noncombatants). But naturally neither of those will ever happen.

I haven't played any of the DBZ fighting games, so I don't know how good or bad they are. (Do they stay true to the feel of the anime? That is, do you get a three-hour timer, no less than two hours and fifty-five minutes of which MUST be spent groaning, glaring, straining, seething, and powering-up?)

However, I have to say that I enjoyed both of the Ranma 1/2 fighting games on Super Nintendo, even if they weren't on par with devoted fighting games, like Street Fighter II.

More recently, I've played the Inu-Yasha fighting game on Playstation. Certainly not one of the great fighting games of all time, but still enjoyable.

And Guilty Gear X2 might as well be an anime, as well animated as it is. ;D

The 1337 poster
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 01:05:27 pm »

A Fujisawa platformer vs. Bugrum? I would play that :D

I am also a fan of RPG games, though they seem to have this distressing trend into making "action-RPG" games recently. Sure, they're fun and all, but now EVERYONE is making an "action-RPG" What happened to my fav turn-based combat systems? :bawl

I'm currently trying to beat Xenosaga after putting in over 100 hours in the .hack series of games. Both are quite good, though the combat in .hack gets repetitive after 80 hours or so.

Not sure why you think the quality of FF games is decreasing Wayne. Sure 6 (jp) was genius, but they followed it up with that mediocre 7 game and then 8. 9 was good, liked the story with that one. And Square finally redeemed themselves with 10 and 10-2 in my opinion. Getting a lot of play time out of 11 now, but I'm kinda worried about the combat system in 12 as it looks to be another one of those "action-RPG" games that I'm am currently tired of.

And if you guys ever want a turn-based, japanese-style RPG for the computer, pick up Anachronox if you can find it. That game (once patched) is PURE GENIUS. ^_^V

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 11:03:58 pm »

:: gets so excited that he craps his pants :: 2D 4-3V4!!!!!!!!

I have a copy of Gradius V that's been sitting on my floor for a couple weeks now, and I haven't even opened it. Who the hell has the time?

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 11:56:00 am »

Rob-- Pretty cool. Is that from a game you're working on or something?

Yup.  Me and Tim both, to be fair.  I'm designing the game engine ([Sv4], which is Gameboy Advance based and will be released publically ASAP; I'll probably also make runtimes for Windows and maybe some other platforms.)  "Fujisawa's Fist of Justice" is it's working title.  This would be a look on El-Hazard that could lend itself to standard platformer -- Fujisawa beating on Bugrom.  ;)

I also agree that El-Hazard lends itself to an RPG game.  I've been toying with one of those in my head for a long time, too.  I was originally going head first into that a while back, but got stalled from various projects and things.  I demand 3D.  Makoto must be found wandering immersed into the hallways and high ceilings of ruined buildings and whatnot.  But since I know everything about 2D and hardly anything about 3D, it'll be a little bit before I could give you any solid results.

xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 05:02:48 pm »

I experimented with some mario bros theme music and played it while watching several shows today with it as the background music and found that this can be very entertaining. I especially think it works rather well with the jackie chan cartoon. I am kinda wanting to try it out for some anime and see if it can make things a little more lets just say goofy. I laughed though really hard at a trix commercial because the rabbit was jumping over all types of springs and changing the water into pieces of his cereal and everytime he leaped over, the "mario jump sound" would play at the exact moment and when the water turned into trix cereal, the "coin popping sound" would play. but the real hilarious part was when he jumped over one bridge and turned the water into some yellow shape of his cereal I guess bananas. I don't know, I don't eat that cereal. but the coin sound just went along with it and it sent me falling over backwards giggling. *shrugs* I try to find ways to amuse myself from time to time and I thought this was kinda cool. *notices a long awkward silence and people staring at her with blank looks* What?! I thought it was funny! *whimpers* okay, I'm sorry! *runs away in shame with head hung low* O_O

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines