Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:39:44 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  MrWhat's fan works
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: MrWhat's fan works  (Read 7171 times)
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« on: October 03, 2004, 12:33:47 am »

I haven't done any fan-fiction plugs for a long, long time, and the board is relatively quiet, so here ya go.

Forgotten Realm - A new drabble that I posted to LiveJournal, this evening.  I'm just doing my part to spread a new Intarweb catch-phrase that arose from the first 2004 US Presidential debate.

And a couple of early previews:

Hana Ni Arashi, part 14 - In case anyone still cares about this beast.  Hopefully, parts 15 and 16 will beta in a couple of weeks, and part 17, maybe by the end of the month?

What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round? - 2100 word spam-fic.  Just finished it a few minutes ago.  A middling effort, I think.  The ending kinda fell flat for me.

I'm also writing for the anime100 weekly drabble-challenge community.  There's a couple of "new" un-re-published El-Hazard drabbles there.  Don't expect too much-- I've done some of my worst work there.  (Maybe that's why I've gotten zero feedback since May...)
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

It is the dream of those who remember.

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 09:41:49 am »

Forgotten Realm - A new drabble that I posted to LiveJournal, this evening.  I'm just doing my part to spread a new Intarweb catch-phrase that arose from the first 2004 US Presidential debate.

Uh... it seems the page server is down. Even trying to cache it out from Google didn't work. -_-

Hana Ni Arashi, part 14 - In case anyone still cares about this beast.

Just started with chapter 1. You are a good writer, but I always feel uneasy about dramatic or "dark" fanfictions... after all the troubles my dear characters endured through their original series, I'd rather have them enjoying themselves a little more. It's just how I feel, though.

What Am I Doin' Hangin' Round? - 2100 word spam-fic.  Just finished it a few minutes ago.  A middling effort, I think.  The ending kinda fell flat for me.

BWAH-HAHAHAHAHAH! Hilarious, if a bit cruel. Never thought I could laugh so much at Ifurita's suffering... now I feel guilty. -_-

I'm also writing for the anime100 weekly drabble-challenge community.  There's a couple of "new" un-re-published El-Hazard drabbles there.

Never heard of this "drabble" thing, but it looks fun... perhaps I'll try it myself, sometime.

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 01:08:25 pm »

Been a fan of your stuff for at least a few months now MrWhat, though I guess I should post a few reviews on FF.net to prove it ;)

Now if only I could convince you to continue Mara's Worst Nightmare... ;D

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
mark_engels
Demon God(ess)

Let's think about this for thirty seconds...

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 10:26:20 am »

http://echoalpha.com/fanfic/updates.html

Requisite reading for all MWN fans.  :)  You can find the latest and greatest on this site.

--me

M. J. Engels
Signal Technician
Brotherhood of Railroad Signalmen LU 14
CN Rail
Valparaiso, Indiana  USA
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 11:24:55 am »

The mysterious Engels who hasn't posted since January has returned!

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:57:35 am »

Yup that page is great... if there was an update since July.

*glances sideways at MrWhat, then pokes him *

;D

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:06:08 pm »

Sorry, everyone.  It seems as if I've caused some confusion.

The stuff listed on the "updates" page that Mark linked:
And the stuff on FanFiction.net is up-to-date.

The other index pages on my site are out-of-date.  For example, MWN parts 16-18 are missing from the OMG! index.  Sorry, no time to update all of them properly.  And, so far, everything in this EHOL topic is not available elsewhere.

And now, some new "unreleased" first drafts:

Yes, We Have No Bananas - 1900-word EH spam-fic.  I hope Spanner likes this one.

And this is off-topic, but by popular demand, more of the OMG! SI parody:
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 19
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 20
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 21
(If you thought the first 18 parts of MWN were self-indulgent and creepy, wait until you get a load of these!)

I refuse to write anything else (besides drabbles), or update FF.net, until I can finish more HNA.  If I keep putting it off, I'll end up abandoning it.

Unfortunately, my employment situation has just completely fallen apart (see the "jobs" topic), and this is the end of me for maybe a month or two.    I'll resume writing (and catch up with POTM) after I can think clearly enough to be creative again.
nescaro
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 10:19:36 pm »

Oy more reasons to feel depressed about that mess I wrote. (If anyone cares I'm talking about El Hazard the Random Lunacy) Anyway that probably wasn't the best way to introduce myself, I'll just go hide in the corner.

Nescaro

"Yeah this is pretty much how I am all the time"
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 11:07:48 am »

Sorry, everyone.  It seems as if I've caused some confusion.

The stuff listed on the "updates" page that Mark linked:
And the stuff on FanFiction.net is up-to-date.

The other index pages on my site are out-of-date.  For example, MWN parts 16-18 are missing from the OMG! index.  Sorry, no time to update all of them properly.  And, so far, everything in this EHOL topic is not available elsewhere.

And now, some new "unreleased" first drafts:

Yes, We Have No Bananas - 1900-word EH spam-fic.  I hope Spanner likes this one.

Heh. Yeah, pretty amusing. ^_^

And this is off-topic, but by popular demand, more of the OMG! SI parody:
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 19
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 20
Mara's Worst Nightmare part 21
(If you thought the first 18 parts of MWN were self-indulgent and creepy, wait until you get a load of these!)

Very good stuff in these chapters! I'll confess something: for a given anime, there are always a few characters on whom I keep an eagle eye when a fan decides to include them in fanfiction. Very exacting and probably vastly unfair standards that I hold them to. The other characters in those anime, I leave some leeway, but if the author steps out of line for those characters, it can kill a story for me.

For Oh, My Goddess! those characters are Belldandy and Peorth. I have some personal beliefs about the depths and natures of their characters, and when a story presents them in a manner that I don't find satisfactory, my teeth grind.

I won't bore you with the specific details of what I consider to be the True Nature of Peorth, but I'm happy to say that what you wrote did not conflict with them (or, at least, not badly).

I also see that we of the El-Hazard Online community have been a deliciously bad influence on you. The Creepy Experimental Fanservice that we allowed - nay, ENCOURAGED - in the Round Robin has begun to spread to your other works! Ah, the evil is so deliciously sweet...

I refuse to write anything else (besides drabbles), or update FF.net, until I can finish more HNA.  If I keep putting it off, I'll end up abandoning it.

Unfortunately, my employment situation has just completely fallen apart (see the "jobs" topic), and this is the end of me for maybe a month or two.    I'll resume writing (and catch up with POTM) after I can think clearly enough to be creative again.

I hope things turn out well for you!

The 1337 poster
smkviper
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 11:23:56 am »

Yes, good luck with the job situation MrWhat. Sometimes I wish I had half the comedic genius you seem to posess. (Yup, that's a blatent suckup ^_^V)

And Ifurita, I wonder what you would think of my Belldandy and Peorth (only very short implied cameo, so far) in my fan-fic: .hack//GODDESS - a Oh! My Goddess, .hack//SIGN crossover fic. Feel free to drop a review on the ff.net site too! (No one ever reviews my stuff *sob*)<shameless self-promotion mode off> ;D

Oh, and welcome to the forums nescaro! Do you have a link to that fic of yours? I'm always interested in more EL fan fics since it seems like there aren't enough of them out there.

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 02:37:51 pm »

Yes, good luck with the job situation MrWhat. Sometimes I wish I had half the comedic genius you seem to posess. (Yup, that's a blatent suckup ^_^V)

And Ifurita, I wonder what you would think of my Belldandy and Peorth (only very short implied cameo, so far) in my fan-fic: .hack//GODDESS - a Oh! My Goddess, .hack//SIGN crossover fic. Feel free to drop a review on the ff.net site too! (No one ever reviews my stuff *sob*)<shameless self-promotion mode off> ;D

Oh, and welcome to the forums nescaro! Do you have a link to that fic of yours? I'm always interested in more EL fan fics since it seems like there aren't enough of them out there.

Ah, I read that fic a while ago... I'm afraid I must admit I didn't care for it too much, but my reasons for disliking it had nothing to do with your writing ability; really, it was just a matter of personal taste. I didn't want to leave a review, though - telling you the reasons I didn't like it in such a public manner wouldn't exactly have been constructive criticism. ^^;

The 1337 poster
nescaro
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 11:00:05 pm »

Thanks for the warm words folks.  :)  Well smkviper if you really want to read the random lunacty fics they're probably still buried in the el hazard section of fanfiction.net, never bothered subjecting any other site to em. Course most of my current stuff is a little better, but then again Jinnai's usually the only El Hazard character that shows up and none of that's finished anyhow. Do have one AU idea I've been flirting with for a couple years but it's probably not worth talking about.

"Some folks call it an inferiority complex I call it reality"
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:03:31 pm by nescaro » Logged
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 09:25:37 pm »

Fan fiction updated today (20 February).

This update is mostly stuff that I've already "leaked" here, in this EHOL topic, or challenge drabbles that I've published to LiveJournal.  But there's a few new things in there.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 05:05:50 pm »

Fan fiction updated today (20 February).

This update is mostly stuff that I've already "leaked" here, in this EHOL topic, or challenge drabbles that I've published to LiveJournal.  But there's a few new things in there.

Ah, nice stuff. The drabbles were amusing, as usual. I'm afraid that I didn't bother with the Dr. Who ones, though; while I've managed to enjoy some of them in the past, my near-complete lack of knowledge of the series IS something of an obstacle. :P While generally good, I can't think of any that particularly stands out in my mind. Well, maybe "Strip Pettan", just for the mental imagery. ^^;

There was a new chapter, too, of Mara's Worst Nightmare that I hadn't seen before. I'm starting to wonder just how closely you intend to skirt the whole subject of the morality of intimacy with these two, and exactly how creepy it will be. ^^; That said, I still love every minute of it, and Peorth continues to greatly amuse.

And then... Dear Lord, THREE chapters of Hana Ni Arashi I hadn't seen before. I set aside a pistol, a razor, and a few cyanide tablets for easy access, and dove in.

For a fleeting moment, I thought, just maybe, we'd reached rock bottom, and things were only going to get better from there. Nanami's new eyes. Shayla's reluctant acceptance of rehabilitation. Parnasse's romantic entanglements. Then, I read the intro to the latest chapter: "Hang on tight.  This is where it *really* starts to gets darker." [sic]

:bawl

Truthfully, though, I should have seen the bit with Rune Venus coming after that scene with Fatora in the previous chapter. That was fairly blatant foreshadowing. It'll be interesting to see how Fatora fairs with the new responsibilities she'll have to accept.

Anyways, feed my inner masochist! I want MORE Hana! Give me MORE Hana 'til it HURTS!!!

The 1337 poster
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 08:35:40 pm »

Thanks, Spanner.  (I've been spending too much time on LiveJournal.  I miss the ability to "cut" long posts.)

I'm afraid that I didn't bother with the Dr. Who [drabbles], though; while I've managed to enjoy some of them in the past, my near-complete lack of knowledge of the series IS something of an obstacle.

Yeah, there isn't much interest in those, outside of the "dw100" LiveJournal community and alt.creative.drwho.  I'm just archiving them to be complete.

BTW, I also made a full drabble list.  It was the only way I could keep track of all of them.  246 and counting!

There was a new chapter, too, of Mara's Worst Nightmare that I hadn't seen before. I'm starting to wonder just how closely you intend to skirt the whole subject of the morality of intimacy with these two, and exactly how creepy it will be.

With the possible exception of a "hot-springs episode," that's the end of Teh Creepy.  Part 21 already Went Too Far, as it is.  Peorth's riff in the middle of part 22 was only included for humorous (I hope) effect.

Parts 23 and 24 are two more very-silly stand-alone parts; and then, after HNA is done, I'll try to write a slightly more serious long adventure in MWN.

"Hang on tight.  This is where it *really* starts to gets darker." [sic]

"gets"?  D'oh!!  Well, that's what draft-versions and early-reviewers are for.

Parts 16 and 17 are still rough, to my eyes.  Part 16 is just completely thrown together.  I didn't know what to do for the wedding, so I pretty much just wrote, "they got married."  And part 17 was very difficult to edit.  There's still too much talking in the first half.  But I gotta move on, and get this thing done.

It'll be interesting to see how Fatora fares with the new responsibilities she'll have to accept.

Big dramatic scene with Fatora in part 18.  Been looking forward to writing it out for years.

Anyways, feed my inner masochist! I want MORE Hana! Give me MORE Hana 'til it HURTS!!!

Part 21 is the last cliffhanger.  In a way, it will gets even less gooder.

But I'm back to writing drabbles-only until after jury duty  ^^;
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines