Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:20:36 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El Hazard, Year 10
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: El Hazard, Year 10  (Read 35364 times)
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

It is the dream of those who remember.

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2004, 06:00:12 pm »

1. I don't think one of those mythical "old browsers" Could view this site.. I might be wrong though, even if there is, I doubt any EHOL member or visitor has one.

These days, only the occasional retrocomputing or abandonwae fan running Mosaic will have troubles with frames. Avoiding them would make sense back when neither browser support nor webmasters' domain was good enough, but those times are long gone. It seems the perception that "frames are evil" has stuck, though: not many sites use them anymore, often applying CCS as an alternative.

2. Come on man! My picture is l33t!.. What more do you want? A superhero?.. With blue hair?... I want some feedback on it at least... ;_;

I agree with Robert, you know: it may have been fun to play as "Jinnai", but the picture doesn't say much to me, who can't even recognize what game you were playing.

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2004, 03:00:13 am »

It seems the perception that "frames are evil" has stuck, though: not many sites use them anymore, often applying CCS as an alternative.

I just took a grad credit web class over the summer and THEY basically said, "DON'T USE FRAMES! EVER!" Mainly because people go nuts with them and clutter the whole page and there are all sorts of other problems with them... :p They encourage you to use tables in place of frames.

But in this case I'm sure one additional frame won't hurt.

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004, 08:39:54 am »

I don't know at this moment how much I'll be able to contribute to this endevour, if anything at all. But just to let you know, I'm all for it, even if "all for it" just means that I'm rooting from the sidelines. ;D

Hey, I like it! And we could ask that guy who's drawn the Ifurita Kittens to ilustrate it! |D

Let's hear it for Ocelot Makoto!

Somehow, I doubt Ghost of the Dawn would be willing to engage in a project like this though. I have enough trouble getting her interested in El-Hazard at all. :bawl

It's a shame; while I know that the furry fanfic idea was a joke, it would have been cool if she'd be willing to draw a few more El-Hazard characters for the 10-year event.

Oh, well - at least she did draw Ifurita and Ifurita!

I just took a grad credit web class over the summer and THEY basically said, "DON'T USE FRAMES! EVER!" Mainly because people go nuts with them and clutter the whole page and there are all sorts of other problems with them... :p They encourage you to use tables in place of frames.

But in this case I'm sure one additional frame won't hurt.

Just because people abuse an html technique doesn't necessarily mean it's bad...

However, I have to admit that what I've experienced with frames leads me to believe that they LEND themselves to poor html coding. It's possibly to do them right, but way too easy to do them wrong.

Rob, I've found, though, is a superb html coder. I doubt he'll have any trouble making things run smoothly.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 08:43:15 am by spanner » Logged

The 1337 poster
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2004, 01:57:29 pm »

Ah, ego inflation.  :P  But thanks.  Yes, I am one of the ueber-1337 geeks who can go around and say I wrote my page in Notepad.  But even better yet, if I get more specific, I wrote the PerlCGI scripts that build the page that I wrote in Notepad in a text editor under Linux over a telnet window.  ;D

Now where should I frame this clock?  To be honest, this natural "FRAMES ARE EVIL" outlook has prevented me from being aquainted with them.  I guess they can be just stuffed into anything like all other HTML.  Where's this clock gonna go?  In the quick bar?  Main page?

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2004, 02:35:16 pm »

To be honest, this natural "FRAMES ARE EVIL" outlook has prevented me from being aquainted with them.  I guess they can be just stuffed into anything like all other HTML.

In essence, yes. Inline frames are available since HTML 4.0, and they behave pretty much like any other HTML inline object (such as tables, images, etc). I have written a small example that demonstrates how they can be used to embed our clock into any other page, from any server.

Where's this clock gonna go?  In the quick bar?  Main page?

I was thinking a separate page, a sort of "news page" for our efforts... something we could point to, in case anyone wanted to know what we're doing.

"If nothing is done, nothing will change. (...) Your world... I do not accept this world. To it, I must say... no."

-- Zorndyke
r4v3nversion2
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2004, 04:53:54 pm »

The quckbar would be nice. Always there to remind us that it really HAS been 10 years since Hayashi brought his dream into reality for the rest of us  ^_^V Unless it turns out to be a bitch to get looking properly  -_-

btw, Hello Helio! Sorry for being so late in welcoming ya to the site. So er... Welcome!  ^^;
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2004, 05:42:46 pm »

The quickbar would be nice. Always there to remind us that it really HAS been 10 years since Hayashi brought his dream into reality for the rest of us  ^_^V

Now that you said it, I agree it is a good idea -- if we can properly place it on the quickbar. I still think the anniversary deserves its own page, though.

btw, Hello Helio! Sorry for being so late in welcoming ya to the site. So er... Welcome!  ^^;

Why, thank you. :)

-- Zorndyke
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2004, 08:31:40 pm »

Now that you said it, I agree it is a good idea -- if we can properly place it on the quickbar. I still think the anniversary deserves its own page, though.

Once there's more solid material, I'll grant the request.  :P  In the meantime, this thread will be your sorta official uh 10 year prototyping thing.

smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2004, 12:48:08 pm »

Thanks for the welcome guys, I would have posted more sooner but it slipped my mind to check back ^^;

I would also vote for putting the countdown in the quickbar, but making a full page for the anniversary. And I have a question for the contest: Do you want this in the original continuity (EH, EH2, AW), Wanderer's continuity, manga continuity, or do you care? (Heck, for some humor ones you could make all three be different dimentions and have the caracters mix up... oooh... now that gave me an idea ;D)

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
Helio Perroni Filho
Bugrom Forces

ICQ Messenger - 2490863
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2004, 07:19:44 am »

There's not much to add at this point, but I wanted to report anyway just to show I am still around. :P I did contact some people over the previous weekend, from potential judges to possible contestants -- if they'd just given me a definite answer... -_- It's getting evident that the contest rules are not as clear as they could in its current form: I'll correct this as soon as I get the chance.

By the way, the reason I have not been very active on the contest (as almost anything else) is that I am finishing my college conclusion project, and it takes a lot of effort -- not to say pain XO. As soon as I get it done, I'll be able to work more actively on the anniversary.

-- Zorndyke
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2004, 10:37:47 pm »

Sorry to change the subject, but in case you're all wondering where the Ocelot bit came from......

http://home.earthlink.net/~saucer/geekchartbig.gif

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2004, 08:34:59 am »

YES, the geek chart!  I lost this so long ago.  Thanks, Saucer.

tuffy
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2004, 10:09:49 am »

I doubt either AIC or Pioneer USA have something in mind, but just maybe, if we reminded them...

It would be nice if AIC/Pioneer came up with a really nice El-Hazard compilation box like Tenchi Muyo! got for its 10 year anniversary (link).  I'm not sure how likely it is, but I'm hoping for one just the same.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2004, 09:17:25 pm »

Wow, and only $1195!  I mean, who wouldn't go for that? ... I probably would try.   -_-  Oh well.  I'm not sure if El-Hazard will get as big a celebration as Tenchi.  Tenchi is still the greater cash cow.

smkviper
Demon God(ess)

Couldn't find a EH avatar, but likes Mai-HiME alot

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2004, 10:43:21 am »

Tenchi is still the greater cash cow.

If only because there are roughtly 50 seasons/series and 100 movies that all have basically nothing to do with eachother :P

Millenia: Aw. You're a sweetheart, aren't ya. This should be fun.

Ryudo: If your idea of fun is wading through rivers of blood, gobbets of flesh, and gut fresh upon your lips, then yes, it will be fun.

Millenia: Then what a
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines