Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:48:09 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  New website Im starting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New website Im starting  (Read 4394 times)
theravenisdead
« on: September 01, 2004, 04:56:56 pm »

I recently registered http://www.ravennet.org/ and I plan to start an EH Fanfic archive on it.

It will most likely be hosted at http://elhazard.ravennet.org/ for future references.

Under curiosity, do you guys think archiving the EH fics available at fanfiction.net would be acceptable? I dont see why anyone would object to it.. but I dunno.
Personally, Id expect peeps to see it as extra exposure for their EH works. But Im not sure.

Anyways, Input would be appreciated on this. Im working on the layout this week/weekend.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 04:57:26 pm by theravenisdead » Logged
Icy EyeG
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

No El-Hazard, no life!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 05:45:28 pm »

Well.... Good luck! I look foward to see it!  ;)

I also doing a site about El-Hazard and college stuff, in Flash ( http://www.biohazara.pt.vu ), but it's still under construction.... (Transforming images into SVG isn't easy...  ^^; )

I also have some Ffics on my EH database, but they weren't written by me... If you want them, tell me.  ^_^V

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 02:34:39 pm »

Most authors would have no problems with that. However, the ones you need to worry about are the ones that DO have a problem with that, people who want to keep track of where their stuff is on the Internet. There's a simple way to find out: Ask them.

Most authors have contact information of some sort on their fanfiction.net Author Profile. The ones that don't, you can contact by leaving a review. If it's an unsigned review, be sure to include your e-mail address. If it's a signed review, they can use your contact information to contact you. (So, make sure that you have contact information on your own fanfiction.net Author Profile; if you don't have an Author Profile, you can make one, if you want - you don't have to actually write to have a fanfiction.net account).

If the author says "no", then don't archive their story. Most of the time they will say "yes". The frustrating cases are when the author doesn't say anything at all, which usually happens because the author's information on his account is out of date (i.e., they don't use that e-mail address anymore, or whatever), they aren't writing anymore, etc., etc. My advice to you in those instances would be to NOT archive their stories. Better safe than sorry.

Of course, nothing's stopping you from archiving whatever you want. From everything that I've heard, authors of fanfiction seeking actual legal protection never actually get any, so if they don't like what you've done, all they can do is fume, threaten, and flame you. I'm guessing you want to be a Good archivist, rather than an Evil archivist, so get permission before you archive anything!

Note, in the author's forewards of many stories, the author explicitly gives or denies permission to archive his or her works. What you should do in those instances should be obvious. ;)

The 1337 poster
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 11:08:33 am »

Um...good luck. ;D

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 09:35:44 am »

Of course, nothing's stopping you from archiving whatever you want. From everything that I've heard, authors of fanfiction seeking actual legal protection never actually get any, so if they don't like what you've done, all they can do is fume, threaten, and flame you. I'm guessing you want to be a Good archivist, rather than an Evil archivist, so get permission before you archive anything!

No, but they can complain to your ISP and cause you grief that way. And at any rate, you certainly don't want to piss people off unnecessarily, so do the smart thing and ask permission. More importantly, heed the author's wishes.

Question, though--what purpose would your archive serve if everything is already available on ff.net or on someone's site already?

I'm one of those people who doesn't want his work posted anywhere other than my own site or fanfiction.net. If you want to post a link to where my stories are located, that's fine, but I've been burned a few times in the last 20 years and so I've learned to err on the side of extreme caution.

JSM
theravenisdead
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2004, 04:42:27 am »

No problem. Thats why I ran the proposal by you guys first  ^^; At any rate, I think Im just gonna let FF.net do the fanfic archivin. Ill work on something else for my site instead.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines