Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:47:47 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Slayers Premium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slayers Premium  (Read 4332 times)
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2004, 01:59:33 am »

Wow, I got a really good deal on this dvd. I got it for ten bucks over at my local Fry's retailer, and I must say I am impressed. Although this new movie is only half an hour long, it was still a fun little jaunt. The animation was excellent, the jokes were funny, and seeing the tv crew again after so long was just wonderful.

As many of you may well know, I am a dub watcher. Although they got different actors to play the roles (with the exception of Crispin Freeman for Zelgadis) I thought the actors did a fine job, and this new cast can easily grow on me.

The only complaint about this movie that I have is its length. At 30 minutes, it really doesn't do much in way of plot. As this has been the last, final Slayers production to come out of Japan, it seems a bit disappointing. If it does turns out to be the last, then it would be tragic. I want this show to go out with a bang, not an octupus-induced whimper.

Anyway, this was a pretty good movie overall. Plus, at $9.99, it' definately a bang for your buck. The commentary with Cynthia Martinez and Crispin Freeman is freaking hillarious, and was well worth the price of admission. I urge all Slayers fans to buy this disc.

I Care Deep
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 07:52:49 am »

I already bought the disk. (Really, all anyone has to do is slap the name "Slayers" onto whatever kinda crap they want, and I'll snap it up like some kinda crazed addict or something.) Haven't watched it yet, though. Glad to hear there's some quality associated with it.

It's disappointing to hear that they don't have the same voices for many of the characters, but not really a surprise. Veronica Taylor is among my favorite voice actresses, and it's a shame she won't be voicing Amelia here. Ah, well, it'll be interesting to see how the familiar ol' ADV crew handles the roles.

The 1337 poster
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 11:09:32 am »

The Amelia they got for this role handled it pretty well, I think. Just be prepared for one long Justice Speech about octopi.

I kind of miss David Moo in Xellos's role though. Despite what most fans say, I liked his performance. He brought the right blend of dopey annoyingness and sinister evil to the role. The new guy is acceptable, but I still prefer Moo Xellos.

I Care Deep
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 08:35:45 pm »

This movie always seems to be just out of my reach. I almost went to Japan for the premier, it was so tempting. Alas, it was an unattainable goal. So then I tried to get it in trade from a friend, and she flaked on me. Finally, I recently downladed a DVD rip. And for some reason, the music and foley worked, but the actual dialog was missing from the audio track.  ??? Odd... guess I should actually buy the DVD, now that it's been released? Never thought I'd see the day, what with ADV being so notorious about licensing Slayers stuff and never releasing it....

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 10:25:49 pm »

Well, it's not like it's gonna bankrupt you to buy it, Saucer. It's only ten bucks, for Pete's sake.  ::)

I Care Deep
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 09:07:19 pm »

ADV can take a flying leap. But yeah, I'll pick it up eventually. In the meantime... gotta save mah money for other things  ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 11:20:56 pm »

... gotta save mah money for other things  ^^;

I knew it!

SAUCER'S ON THE SAUCE!!!

I Care Deep
Saucer
Demon God(ess)