Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:51:56 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  OSX on XP (Saucer will love this :P)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: OSX on XP (Saucer will love this :P)  (Read 4080 times)
theravenisdead
« on: June 22, 2004, 05:41:58 am »

I knew it was coming. Eventually.

Still installing, Its sluggish but it does work so far. Can't wait for this emulator (PearPC) to progress even further.  ^_^V

http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 05:53:53 am by theravenisdead » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2004, 08:21:55 am »

I still find this screenshot amusing:
http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/screenshots/pearpc_xp.jpg

As the rated processor speed probably suggests the speed of emulator right now.  ;P  It's a shame that the later Motorola processors are so radically different in architecture from the Intel/compatibles that emulation on this end is so difficult.  (While, from what I understand, Intels are fundamentally simpler and thus easily emulated on Motorola.)

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
theravenisdead
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2004, 04:59:24 pm »

The CPU core runs at 500 times slower than the actual x86 CPU, when using the generic core (meant for use on non-x86 platforms.

The x86 enhanced core runs at 40 times slower. Which on my 1.2ghz would be roughly 30mhz. But given this has only been publically available for just over a month, I guess it shouldnt be to suirprising its slowish. Give it time ^_^  ^_^V
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2004, 11:04:44 pm »

I knew it was coming. Eventually.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! That's awesome Raven. MacOS emus are so rare, because Apple has always jealously guarded their source code.  Do let me know what you think of OSX Jaguar (Panther is supposed to be D4 5h17! I've seen it on SuprNova but haven't bothered with it yet). Though I wouldn't expect peak performance, running it simultaneously with XP. You might want to disable things like window animation if you find it's using too much memory. I'm curious though, does PearPC also install OS9? You'll need that if you plan on running any OS9 and prior apps. 3+ hour install? O_O That's brutal, but I'm suprised somebody managed to get it to work at all!

As the rated processor speed probably suggests the speed of emulator right now.  ;P

Heh heh, that's funny.  The hardware profiler is looking for a Power PC chip, and it ain't finding one! XD

It's a shame that the later Motorola processors are so radically different in architecture from the Intel/compatibles that emulation on this end is so difficult.  (While, from what I understand, Intels are fundamentally simpler and thus easily emulated on Motorola.)

Virtual PC is supposed to be the cat's meow when it comes to PC emus on Apple machines. I've heard alot of negative things about it though. Plus, it's bloody expensive.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
theravenisdead
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2004, 12:15:22 am »

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! That's awesome Raven. MacOS emus are so rare, because Apple has always jealously guarded their source code.  Do let me know what you think of OSX Jaguar (Panther is supposed to be D4 5h17! I've seen it on SuprNova but haven't bothered with it yet).

Actually, I am installing 10.3 Panther  ^_^V

I'm curious though, does PearPC also install OS9? You'll need that if you plan on running any OS9 and prior apps. 3+ hour install? O_O That's brutal, but I'm suprised somebody managed to get it to work at all!

PearPC Doesnt instal anything. What PearPC does is emulate the hardware of a PowerPC-based computer. It emulates the CPU (No Altivec unit yet, Hybrid G3), Video, Mainboard, Hardware, IDE, PCI bus, USB (though not usuable yet), etc. Its amazing how far they've come in just over a month since its initial release.

As for OS9, it doesnt work at the moment due to hardware/boot issues. At the moment, here are the supported OSes:

Mac OS X (10.1, 10.2, 10.3) = Runs well, with exceptions
Mandrake Linux 9.1 PPC Edition = Runs well, may run into booting problems after installation
OpenBSD PPC = Crashes when booting (unsupported PCI access methods)
NetBSD PPC = Crashes when booting
Darwin PPC = Runs well
Mac OS 9.xx = Unsupported

3+ hour install? O_O That's brutal, but I'm suprised somebody managed to get it to work at all!

It took 8-10 hours actually. the emulator lacks an RTC clock, so any timing is non-existant. Thus dun take the estimations seriously. Though the benefit of a broken RTC is that the emu can run faster per cycle, without a clock to slow it down.

Heh heh, that's funny.  The hardware profiler is looking for a Power PC chip, and it ain't finding one! XD

Virtual PC is supposed to be the cat's meow when it comes to PC emus on Apple machines. I've heard alot of negative things about it though. Plus, it's bloody expensive.

I use Virtual PC for Windows. It runs great. though Games will not run very well.

VirtualPC emulates an S3 Trio64 PCI 8mb video card. It supports Direct3D, but it isnt very fast. Basically the card can run games up to and including 1999/2000.

Other than that, the emu is great. The mac version also supports USB (something the PC version doesnt.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 12:18:25 am by theravenisdead » Logged
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2004, 09:23:52 pm »

Oh wow, that's cool! Sounds like a really involved project. I'm curious to know why they're emulating the G3 chip in particular? Not that it really matters all that much, since a G3 processor will run any 10.x OS.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2004, 10:04:42 pm »

Oh wow, that's cool! Sounds like a really involved project. I'm curious to know why they're emulating the G3 chip in particular?

I'm going to guess a matter of feasibility coupled with usability.  68K emulators have been around forever because it was easy and very efficent to emulate, being that the old 68K's were not so far advanced that Intel-based emulation would be difficult.  Not at all, in fact.

G3's are probably teetering on the edge of the line that defines what can be done to any usable degree.  After all, if the emulator emulates the chip running an effective 4MHz, for example, what good is that to run anything on?  40x slower is not a good rating, but it sounds like a possible workable rating.  Of course, it won't be really powerful unless they get it to perhaps 4x slower.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
theravenisdead
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2004, 10:15:13 pm »

Give it time. They havnt even implemented any i386 MMU support yet, and SSE and MMX is still not fully implemented. That should bost it quite a bit when implemented  ^_^V
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines