Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:55:25 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  On physiology and dimensional travel...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: On physiology and dimensional travel...  (Read 8595 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 08:53:56 am »

If it is a .gif.  

Only animated image format on the net right now.  Animated PNGs are unofficial and mythical.  ;P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
JockoMegane
Londs' Screen Time

A former roadie.

ICQ Messenger - 70106202 AOL Instant Messenger - SonOfJocko Yahoo Instant Messenger - jocko_megane
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 01:34:45 pm »

I could have sworn I once saw an animated PNG...hmm, perhaps I was mistaken. ;)

I haven't had my crash course in image standards since the old days...1997 to be exact.  

"Put it on a plate son, you'll enjoy it more."

"Couldn't enjoy it anymore, Mom.  Mmm-mmm-mmm.  This is swell."

- "Repo Man" (1984).
Fujisawa4654
Demon God(ess)

Commander of the UETF, Maj. Gen. Fujisawa!

AOL Instant Messenger - Fujisawa4654
View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 02:26:14 pm »

This is getting OFF TOPIC

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2004, 10:15:57 pm »

I could have sworn I once saw an animated PNG...hmm, perhaps I was mistaken. ;) 

No, they do exist, though I don't think IE supports them... and even the guy who invented the PNG format says that it will never have a native animation mode and that any such implementation is a deviant form he won't recognize.  Or some such.

JockoMegane
Londs' Screen Time

A former roadie.

ICQ Messenger - 70106202 AOL Instant Messenger - SonOfJocko Yahoo Instant Messenger - jocko_megane
View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2004, 10:21:46 pm »

Damn, that's harsh. :)

- "Repo Man" (1984).
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2004, 09:56:51 pm »

One, owing to director Hiroki Hayashi's inspiration for El-Hazard from Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Mars" series, perhaps El-Hazard is actually Mars only a long, long time in the past?  

Hey... I hadn't thought of that! It does make sense. The rather arrid climate and terrain, ancient tech, little oasis pockets of fertile land.....

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2004, 09:58:23 pm »

Here's my opinion on the subject:

Who gives a sh**!!?

lol jk

This is getting OFF TOPIC

Yes, and who do we have to thank for that?  -_-

JockoMegane
Londs' Screen Time

A former roadie.

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2004, 11:24:48 pm »

Hey... I hadn't thought of that! It does make sense. The rather arrid climate and terrain, ancient tech, little oasis pockets of fertile land.....

Also the fact that everyone's able to pretty much understand each other.  The names of various people and things...and the inhabitants of El-Hazard seeming to be, for the most part, indistinguishable from Earthlings.  Of course, this can all be more easily explained by
narrative conveinance (screen time isn't cheap) and the much more plausible alternate/parallel universe explanations.

But, hey, if one has to defend El-Hazard being in the same universe as Makoto and company's Earth, then it's not a bad way to go... :)

- "Repo Man" (1984).
ohkiyi
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 11:53:34 pm »

String theory
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2005, 12:07:05 am »

String theory

What? Like super-strings? What about it?

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2005, 01:23:38 am »

Newest Physics theory, the latest attempt to produce the "Theory of Everything" that Einstein died working towards.  Basically Physics currently can describe a lot of things on the BIG scale and a lot of things on the small scale, but the maths are not able to converge to describe things on All scales.

String Theory includes support for multiple/parallel dimensions and stuff and is pretty wild, but still currently is all speculation and none of its proven.  Just on good momentum with some basic mathematical proofs.

ohkiyi
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2005, 06:08:47 am »

Everything can be explained on the Plank level.  how about the EPR argument?
archaon
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2005, 10:02:54 pm »

Three chances:
1)El hazard is another world in another universe.
2)El hazard is another world in the same universe.
3)El hazard is an alternative reality of Earth. Just go to the far past, move a single rock, and return, to find yourself in a different world.
4)El hazard is the far future of Earth.

Theoretically, you can travel from Earth to EH through "wormholes" in all four cases. You just need the energy from a few hundred stars, sixth dimensional sensors and an Eye-of-god-size CPU. Or some million years to figure out how to do it with a rubber, a stick and an old marshmallow.. :P :P :P :P

About the wormholes, They say they exist. Think of paper with two dots, placed away from each other. In two dimensions, the fastest way is a straight line. In three, you can just wrap the paper to bring them close. Add time as the forth and you travel to past or future. Add something else as the fifth, and you hop through dimensions.
Add a sixth to get a panoramic view and you go everywhere...

(scream!!!): Hey this straitjacket is too tight!!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2005, 02:31:31 pm »

A good flick to watch is Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe", produced by PBS.  It's quite inspirational to put some scientific ideas to multi-dimensional existence.

belldandyfan
Londs' Screen Time

Demongods last longer!

AOL Instant Messenger - Belldandyfan
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2005, 11:43:56 pm »

Aaron Bergman had something like this in his "World of Endings Promised."  The journey across dimensions granted the Wanderers immortality as well as their abilities... until something went wrong.

My take is that Earth, El-Hazard and Creteria are the same planet in three alternate/what-if dimensions.  All three worlds have humans, and although many species are different, they all have basically-compatible animal and plant life.  

Only a (cough) complete weirdo would write a semi-realistic story with a El-Hazard native who contracts terminal cancer.  (BTW, I just wrote about 1000 words of Hana Ni Arashi.  First real progress on that darn thing in ten months.  Woo hoo!)

Another author, Alan Harnum, wrote a piece (still unfinished) titled "Mortal Engines" which addressed this issue... but from a different angle.
(yeah.. I know... you have it up on your website... heh)

Personally I ascribe to his view of what happens to Earthlings as they stay longer and longer on ElHazard... that the powers they have inhierited gradually alter them as time progresses.

regardless... as to diseases.. I'd think that either earthlings would be very susceptable to Elhazardian diseases(if they are human just like us)... and vice versa... or... they'd be completely immune (and vice versa) because of significant physiological/genetic structures. IE...just as you can't catch feline leukemia from your cat, Elhazardians may not actually be "human" at a genetic level.. they may simply look human and seem to have identical physiology as humans... but use entirely different DNA and RNA strings... and hence cannot catch human diseases at all.

Of course El Hazard could be a colony  of a space faring civilization ( note the dual suns... very unlikely that a terran standard wolrd would be able to exist in a solar system with a binary star system.. mostly because the widely fluctuating solar energy would create wildly oscilating solar winds, creating hotter and colder cycles on the planet.  Terraforming technology like nano tech would be needed to moderate such effects. If this is so, it's likely the elhazardians would have medical nanotech that would make them supremely healthy (they would never catch diseases), and it could be that such nanotech would exist in the food they eat and water they drink ... which would have also been introduced into the Earthlings as well since they've obviously eaten and drank

Anyway.. that said.. I don't think there was any indication of sickness on Elhazard at any point in any of the OVA's or TV shows.

Anyway... back to the point I was gonna make.
The powers of the earthlings seem to be growing as they stay on ElHazard.. at least to me they do... and if so...it's likely that they are changing for a reason.

Specifically, if you note, even when Fujisawa is pretty 'dry' at points early in the story... he never gets as strong as he did eventually when fighting the super bugrom. This seems to indicate that Fuijisawa's ability became stronger over time.
Likewise, Mokoto's interfacing ability seemed to get stronger as well. Specifically, he went from just grazing through Ifurita's memory store initially, to being able to communicate with her in her memories... to finally being able to delve into her core systems and destroy her obedience circuit.

That said.. a case could be made for this also being simply that they became more adept at using their abilities... but that doesn't seem to mesh well with  Mr. Fujisawa's purely physical abilities. Seems to me he'd have had his glowy strength field before the time he exhibited it if this were the case.

Anyway... Alan Harnum seemed to be saying (in Mortal Engines) that all the earthlings were gradually becoming something more than human... which I think I agree with.

in that vein I reccomend taking a good hard look at the episode where Ifurita is awakened by Jinai, and fires a shot a Makoto... hiting the ground right in front of him. Take a good hard  look at the explosion and the after affect.

You'll see that the explosion seems to wash along a spherical "safe" area around Makoto, looking rather like the force bubble that demongods are supposed to have around them according to the manga.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines