Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:47:17 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Rewatching Wanderers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rewatching Wanderers  (Read 4660 times)
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:37:25 pm »

I'm currently re-watching the whole of Wanderers on a episode per day basis and I am actually finding it much more enjoyable a second time round.

I think the main reason for me enjoying it this time around is because it's become much more apparent to me that the characters are merely their OAV personas driven to the highest possible comedy level. Overall, it's extremely pleasing and a nice alternative to sitting still and switching your brain off for 21 minutes.

Anyway, no idea what the actual topic is here... Erm, I suppose it's "did you find Wanderers more enjoyable the second time round?". Yeah, that'll do.

---

Amusing Wanderers images:

- I couldn't help but burst out laughing when I saw this. Wanderers Jinnai's tongue has always been humourous to the max, for me. More on this later...

- Jesus FUCKING Christ. Shit, man, this still freaks me out, even after all the exposure that I had to it ages ago. I think the only way to perfectly describe this is as "beautifully ugly". Or "beautiful in a ugly way", either way that is one fucked up Fujisawa.

- Ahhh, sausage tongue. The lore behind sausage tongue is a long and properous one, as Rob will confirm. I only wish I could find that fanart that I drew of sausage tongue. It was the shit.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 06:29:40 pm by neil_lafrenais » Logged

Maximum boobage!!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 08:14:58 pm »

Lucky for you, the lore lives on:

Equally disturbing:

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2004, 09:25:23 pm »

- Jesus FUCKING Christ. Shit, man, this still freaks me out, even after all the exposure that I had to it ages ago. I think the only way to perfectly describe this is as "beautifully ugly". Or "beautiful in a ugly way", either way that is one fucked up Fujisawa.

Ah yes, another classic shoujo-parody moment. Hooray for Zip-A-Tone!

Reminds me of an Urusei Yatsura OVA episode where a case of space measels causes any male who contracts it to have huge, watery shoujo eyes!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 01:59:05 am »

Hahaha, yeah, wasn't that anigif the catalyst for the lore of the sausage tongue?

Maximum boobage!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 08:29:52 am »

Hahaha, yeah, wasn't that anigif the catalyst for the lore of the sausage tongue?

Yes, I believe so.

Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 09:11:38 am »

Ahaha, I really need to redraw that sausage tongue picture actually... and you know, make it good ;)

Maximum boobage!!
xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

I will do anything to make my Master happy

AOL Instant Messenger - KowaiNoNeko Yahoo Instant Messenger - xxdemongodxx
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 04:37:14 pm »

I personally liked the wanderers. though I kinda think they should combine both the oav ifurita and the wanderer ifurita into one. I don't think the wanderer ifurita is a total ditz though. in alot of places, she kinda lets on that she's smarter than she looks. plus who could do a perfect job at destroying things here and there with Jinnai's loud cackling and bellowing behind you? That would distract anybody. hehe, not that I don't like Jinnai. I think he's awesome. I am planning to sometime improve my ifurita costume and go to akon with several pieces of banner paper with the drawings of Jinnai's facial expressions like he did in that one episode when they unrolled the papers and he would talk in sync to the expressions. I'm going to do that and walk around with the person I find to be my Jinnai and put on a show. hehe. I think it would be fun ^^

Punish me Master! I've been a bad demon god. ^^
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 06:51:45 pm »

*randomly fixes Neil's avatar/sig*

Now back to the topic...

Aww, that sounds awesome, Ms. Demon God.  ;_;  You're exactly the kind of person I need to figure out how to get together to go to a con with.  So far I've only been to two cons, and both my groups had priorities outside of my interest.  :P  Of course, I'm not fit for a con, since I have no good experience doing costumes and stuff.  Although I could probably figure that out if I had a plan.

Aaaanyway, as for Ifurita and Jinnai when putting OAV vs. TV... I actually wouldn't want to see combining the two into one.  I think each plays a role that fits the world they're in.  Wanderers overall is a light-hearted version of El-Hazard.  It lends itself a lot more to gags than the OAV did.  Even the OAV had its share of humor, which is part of its drive, it still was very "serious" about everything going on.  Wanderers liked to play a card where even though the world was real to all the participants, the entire scenario itself was part fantasy and part ludicrous.  It's just different terms than the OAV.  OAV Ifurita helps maintain the "dignity" of the awesome force that was the former society that created her, the war mongers that they were, and TV Ifurita is the relic which puts a touch on just how silly and fantastic El-Hazard is in that telling.

When it comes down to it, I enjoyed TV Ifurita and Jinnai's dynamics a lot more than OAV Ifurita and Jinnai.  (Although the OAV's goal was NOT to make you like Jinnai/Ifurita I presume.)  TV Ifurita and Jinnai have a father/daughter relationship more than anything, and its just funny to watch and even in the end brings out this weirdly human side to Jinnai.  Of course, the TV series might bring questions of canon for diehard OAV original fans for those reasons in particular.  :P

xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

I will do anything to make my Master happy

AOL Instant Messenger - KowaiNoNeko Yahoo Instant Messenger - xxdemongodxx
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 06:59:46 pm »

you know, Rob, you bring a very good point about the combining of the ifuritas. I myself also am a big fan of the tv jinnai and ifurita. hehe. I think my favorite scene was when they were all thinking that Ifurita was pretty nice for someone so destructive and she was all,

no I'm not, I'm evil!
*ifurita looking all determined*
In fact I'm going to make my daddy proud and graduate!

hehe. that was so kawaii!!!

and when the kid pointed at her and started crying saying she is a monster

*ifurita frowning and bending down to child taking off pink visor*

no I'm not. I'm not a monster.

^^

Punish me Master! I've been a bad demon god. ^^
nirvana
Bugrom Forces

A Wandering Dreamer in the Land of Beautiful Girls

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 05:51:08 pm »

I just bought the boxset at a Gamestop for only $30! That's a steal of a price wouldn't you agree. ;) That and I finished all 4 DVD in one sitting on the day I bought it...

"Like a dream from a time faraway, a sweet memory lingers from the distant past. Like a kingdom that you reach. After many years of dreaming, El-Hazard is the eternal homeland and the land of never-ending adventures. As long as there is a challenging
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines