Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:32:35 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Dubbed versus Subtitled El-Hazard
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dubbed versus Subtitled El-Hazard  (Read 11659 times)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2003, 07:07:34 pm »

The Japanese language and culture in anime is one of the things that originally impressed me so much about it. I guess it's that "foreign" feeling that makes it so unique and interesting.

One funny thing to do though, if you have the DVDs, is to run the dub track and the subtitles at the same time as a comparision. especially that one memorable scene "I refuse to let Makoto hang around with a dyke!" ^^;;;;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2003, 08:08:00 pm »

Of course, I've done it.  It only proved to me that the dub was right on for anything plot-ifically important, and then off to spruce up stuff that just doesn't work as well in English. :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

I am the pic theif. You are next. Yes, you.

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2003, 04:35:25 am »

I prefer subtitled animes.

1) This allows you to absorb the Japanese, with an English translation: very good, if you're trying to learn Japanese.

2) Subs are the most acurate translation available.

3) In my opinion, if not done with superb care, dubs look really fake, and distract me from the anime!

4) Because of the movement of their mouths, it is very hard to match up the dubbing... and then it looks awful, and distracts me from the anime.

5) When you read the subtitles, if you are deeply absorbed in the anime, it sounds just as if they were saying it... And you wonder why you can hear their voice, saying the English. (I know.... Hand Made May strikes again!)

That's just my two cents though....

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Forget the dogs of war. The wolves of war are what you should be worrying about.
Excuse me, I seem to have found a Heero in my shoe.
FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2003, 08:44:02 am »

I prefer dubs, except for when they did strange dawn, becaus ethat was just weird, strange dawn is a great anime and everything, but when they dubbed it into english, they made a complete mess of it. I find that the original animes are sometimes too meaningful and less funny when you hear the original, cause I prefer funny. It's like, the original version of Pokemon was screened for the first time in japan and most of the kids who watched it got sent to hospital because it was so violent.

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2003, 12:27:12 pm »

4) Because of the movement of their mouths, it is very hard to match up the dubbing... and then it looks awful, and distracts me from the anime.

You know, that's one of the things that made it hard for me to watch Blood The Last Vampire. When they spoke english, it just looked to awkward.

It's like, the original version of Pokemon was screened for the first time in japan and most of the kids who watched it got sent to hospital because it was so violent.

^^;;;;;; Actually, that was because a scene that had some really bright flashes caused Epileptic-like seizures. And in Japan, many houses are small so they sit right up in front of the TV.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2003, 12:36:30 pm »

DVD's really are the best thing for this scenario.  Most of them these days come with English Dub AND Sub, and most Pioneer discs can have both running at the same time for active comparison of translation / dub team work.

I won't guarentee ALL animes are done well (I've seen quite a few that outright suck), but some really are, and just having your local language as the spoken one can often help humor aspects.  One of the great risks of running pure subtitled is that a colloquial Japanese joke or pun will probably make absolutely no sense to you, unless you're incredibly familiar with Japanese culture.  But, if there's a good dub team backing it up, they'll find a clever / witty way to handle it with an equally appropriate joke.  Or bypass it completely, if circumstances warrant it.

Mouth sync is a problem, but except for one tiny segment in a late El-Hazard OAV segment (The infamous "Poor girl" scene), it's overall done very well, at least as well as is humanly possible.  They took great care to match long speaking audio to long mouth openings and everything.  And with clever English humor added as necessary, the English dub of El-Hazard is infinitely funnier and amusing then watching it in subtitles.  They also picked EXCELLENT voice actors that are near perfect matches to the Japanese originals.

Here's a weird little MP3 I had laying around overlaying Jinnai from both worlds:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/dual.mp3

And here's another one, that fairly depicts how Bob Marx even imitates Jinnai's voice dynamics for a very good equivalent:

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/jinnaiej.mp3

In the very first post of this thread, Neil has some good addition dub "special" notes...
For me, and I'm sure for Rob as well, it's the dubbed version all the way. It stays faithful to Tsukimura's (screenplay writer) original script, but also adds screamingly funny additions. Notable to these are Fujisawa's infamous line, "Shit! Someone else is out of alcohol!" and Alielle's many hidden lesbian jokes...

Dubs are a hit or miss situation, but El-Hazard dub is just excellent, and I recommend it and stand behind it 100%.

However, to get the best of both worlds, buy the DVDs.  Then you can get the excellent English dub, but also retain the ability to backtrack to Japanese / Subtitles as you desire.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2003, 12:45:41 pm »

I won't guarentee ALL animes are done well (I've seen quite a few that outright suck), but some really are, and just having your local language as the spoken one can often help humor aspects.  One of the great risks of running pure subtitled is that a colloquial Japanese joke or pun will probably make absolutely no sense to you, unless you're incredibly familiar with Japanese culture.  But, if there's a good dub team backing it up, they'll find a clever / witty way to handle it with an equally appropriate joke.  Or bypass it completely, if circumstances warrant it.

This is one of the main reasons for people watching dubs, yes. But with even a good amount of subtitle watching and just a little reading up on Japanese culture/history (AnimEigo is really good about liner notes and stuff) anybody can learn to pick these up. It's not hard to learn. If I can do it, anybody can! After awhile, you can even follow a joke that the translator failed to pull off in subtitle, or was just too lazy to work with.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2003, 01:41:30 pm »

It's not hard to learn. If I can do it, anybody can! After awhile, you can even follow a joke that the translator failed to pull off in subtitle, or was just too lazy to work with.

It's not about wether you can or not, because anybody can if they wanted to, it's partially if you have an interest to.  And to put it bluntly, I don't.  I see these things as an interesting curiosity, but it's not exactly in my current interest to really store any major information on any of it.  I can barely remember what happened 2 days ago, much less a secondary culture which, at the moment, has no incredible bearing on my life.

The dubbers are being conciderate especially for people who are very UNfamiliar with the culture.  It'd be rough for an "anime newbie" to just be thrown in to a ream of Japanese jokes and humor, it'd almost certainly guarentee they'd never buy it again because they won't find entertainment in it.

Which, by the way, is what we're arguing here.  If you want to learn Japanese language / culture, by all means, watch and listen to Japanese.  But if you're here strictly for the entertainment issue... I speak English, I enjoy English.  Japanese only causes me issues.  :p

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2003, 04:19:58 pm »

I still prefer Dub. I don't care what everyone else is saying. I'm just not the kinda person who can actually be bothered trying to read subtitles and watch the anime at the same time. I'm also not that kind of person that can be bothered learning a few words of a different anime just so that thay can watch it in Japanese! ARRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!! Why isn't anybody agreeing with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????  

You said that last time when the poor martyr ended up at the infirmary because the gates of heaven refused to open. -- Vallier
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2003, 04:35:11 pm »

Actually, I AM agreeing with you, in the concept of preferring dubs, at least by default.  I mean, some ARE done bad, and those are definately the exception generally. :p

larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2003, 04:38:09 pm »

I mean, some ARE done bad, and those are definately the exception generally. :p

Like Strange Dawn? It was done really badly. eg.

*mouth begins to move* it's stupid! stupid! stupid! stupid! *mouth continues to move*

It's just like that.

El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2003, 03:08:27 pm »

You agree with Lar?!  :o

No, seriously, I hate dubs! It's not hard to learn a little about culture in Japan, I can remember enough to help me get through! And I can't even remember what happened this morning!

Eg:

Ramen: A noodle dish, with loads of different things that can be put into it, like eggs.

Sake: Rice wine.

Baka: Word for "Idiot" in Japanse.

See!

And dubbing just seems so lazy for the veiwer! And when you get into reading the subs, it's so easy to follow!

Saucer, it seems we are out numbered. We should do some sort of protest, like type only in Japanese and put subs at the bottom!  ::)  ;D  ;)  :P

Forget the dogs of war. The wolves of war are what you should be worrying about.
larewen_evenstar
Demon God(ess)

What it says.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2003, 03:16:35 pm »

Actually, I know most of the previous things and you have told me several times that your brother told you what most of them mean. Sothere. And don'y argue with me. I have already fallen out with you once today, and i'm not planning on doing it again.

And no protesting. It would tke you about an hour to find all the words you wanted to type on the net and then half an hour to write them and the subs.

GO DUBS!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE LOVES ME AND NOT EL!!!!!!!!! HA!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2003, 03:18:32 pm by larewen_evenstar » Logged

El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2003, 03:26:29 pm »

Uh Lar... Shut up before Carpet Yeti is forced to kill you!  ::)  ;)  :P  ;D  8)  :-*

And I wouldn't have to look it all up on the net!

You forget, I have to resources of:

Giant Robot!
Sub Anime!
Music Videos!
My "How to learn how to speak Japanese" book!
And other stuff!

Lar no hentai baka!

Note to self: Look up particles and see who can make sense of this!

Subs are really easy to understand! I mean, you just have to read!

And, you begin to absorb Japanese, and before you know it, you can say "I feel sick" in Japanese!

bakasama
Dimension Traveler

Yu get ta barnin'... kimi na shiku...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2003, 03:39:06 pm »

Depressing : Pokemon in English
Passable : AW in English
Exceptional : Dual! in English
The Good : Vandread's re-hash of "What a wonderful World"
The Bad : Robotech (English) : Minmei's "Stagefright" single
The Horrifying : Nadesico (Subtitled): Yurika's Speech in Engrish
No Way : Ranma 1/2 in Mandarin Chinese

Baka: Word for "Idiot" in Japanse.

ah. my favorite word. heard in almost every anime except pokemon. thanks for the publicity too.  ;)

Wooooooo..........
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines