Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:24:21 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Dubbed versus Subtitled El-Hazard
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Dubbed versus Subtitled El-Hazard  (Read 12555 times)
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2002, 11:47:16 am »

Ms. Campbel asked for, and I'm obliged to give it to her.

Which do you think is better? Do you feel dizzy everytime Ryutaro Okiayu (the Japanese Jinnai voice) finishes a sentence? Or do you prefer the pyschotic laughter of Bob Marx (the English Jinnai voice)? Tell us. I'm genuinely interested (especially if you prefer the subtitled version ;D).

For me, and I'm sure for Rob as well, it's the dubbed version all the way. It stays faithful to Tsukimura's (screenplay writer) original script, but also adds screamingly funny additions. Notable to these are Fujisawa's infamous line, "Shit! Someone else is out of alcohol!" and Alielle's many hidden lesbian jokes, such as:

[After Fatora has blown up the engine to the hoverboat]
Makoto: "Alielle, can't you keep her steady?!"
Alielle: [struggling with the controls] If Fatora didn't fool around so much, I'd BE her steady!

Obviously, the sub is acceptable. But, it just seems so "dull" and straight to the point. I don't know. Perhaps the El-Hazard dub plays more on a more Western sense of humour.

It's not only the writing that makes me prefer the dub over the sub, it's also the acting! Oh, the voice actors in El-Hazard are absolutely flawless! Each characters sounds more or less (or even better) than their Japanese counterpart. Recommended characters for the dub are Jinnai and Fujisawa. Not only do they get some killer lines, but Marx and Mike Sorich (Fujisawa's English Voice) do a great job of delivering the lines as well.

What does everyone else think?

Maximum boobage!!
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2002, 12:26:40 pm »

I have a nifty insta-page I made for the MC a while back... no one cared for it particularly, but the uses keep coming up  :P

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/stuff/Jinnai/1/index.html
It displays a screenshot that includes the English Japanese subtitle, and below it is a link to an MP3 recording of the audio played in place of the subtitled line.  (EMBED's available, if your browser supports them, for convience)

There is a clean example of precise translation (the spoken line matched the subtitle exact), and example where the Japanese was modified for a more interesting line (more entertaining / less dull), and then finally an example of an English one-liner that just kicks the incredibly ... literal and expectable Japanese line out the window.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
perfect_chaos_zero
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2002, 12:22:28 am »

Personally, I prefer the Dub, I think it's great. Unlike most animés, El-Hazard was dubbed properly, and thus, the outcome was a surperior show, in english and even funnier than it originally was.
kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2002, 11:21:16 pm »

The Dub of El-Hazard seems nice, from what I saw of it... dunno about the sub, but from what you said, it's nice compared to some of the "horribile" dubs that try to force jokes into animes or scenes that should be more serious, or outright alter the whole plotline using the dialouge.

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 04:49:38 pm »

There is virtual equivalence right down to even the tones that characters are speaking in.

Here's a little example I made overlaying Jinnai in both worlds.

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/temp/rob/dual.mp3

schlock_kork
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2002, 08:00:38 am »

LOL, sounds like the evil twins talking.  :o (Could you image a world that got 2 of them in it?  )
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2002, 06:48:36 pm »

Jinnai times 2

rogewolf
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2002, 03:16:30 am »

the dub was amazing compared to some of the dubs I've seen, *cough* tenchi muyo *cough*, but in the case of El Hazard, the dubs were done well, and the subs where horrible in comparison. i guess thats why Im a bit obsesed over the series
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2002, 09:49:59 pm »

I dunno. The dub of Tenchi wasn't too bad. I could definately name worse. But yes, in comparison to El-Hazard, it lacks quite a bit.

Though, I found Kagato's English VA to be fantastic.

By the way, welcome to the forum, "rogewolf". I'm Neil, the co-webmaster who doesn't do much.

Unrealted: Just another quick ushering for people to not be shy and start up new conversations and everything. ;) We would like a bit of public feedback as we are nearing 4000 visits (since June).

Maximum boobage!!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2002, 09:54:37 pm »

Yes, and I am hear to leech of his comment and agree with him.  ;p

Definately don't be shy around here... me and Neil are available for discussion for anything ranging from fact to hardcore [El-Hazard] fanfiction or fan-based ideas.  (I know I've got quite a few in my own book...)

kiddo
Bugrom Forces

Hentai man.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2002, 01:21:08 pm »

Also here to add up the post count... how about adding a "Quick Reply" button like the SFGHQ forum ( http://sfghq.emulationzone.org/phpbb ) has? That would encourage me to write before I think. :P

Join the THNH Today! Defeat the Admin Power Abuse Clan!

Put this in your sidepic/avatar
----------------------------------
What's so wrong with Miz, anyway? I happen t
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2002, 06:57:08 pm »

I probably COULD do that ... hmm ... Kiddo writing before he can think ... do we really want this...? ;)

rogewolf
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2002, 11:12:10 pm »

kiddo wrighting befor he thinks, why am i suddenly jittery and nervous? oh wait, thats the 3 pots of coffee and 48 hours working on homework so i dont flunk english again (my teacher hate my class, we're the only class that got homework)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2003, 05:04:23 pm »

I prefer subs 100% over dubs. But I've seen all of the El Hazard anime dubbed at one point or another. While yes, the dub is alot better than most (especially for Pioneer USA -_-; ) I still prefer the subtitled version. And, while I'd like to avoid resurrecting the overdone dub vs sub argument, I'd like to say that the reason I prefer subs is that I find anime much more interesting when viewed in it's original language. I feel this way about all foreign film, as a matter of fact. And plus, I just find Japanese so interesting in general! And while I'm not fluent by any means, years of watching subtitled anime has given me at least a minimal understanding of Japanese language! ^_^

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2003, 06:28:40 pm »

While I respect that opinion, I'm going to say two things --

1) Those of us not really familiar with Japanese culture and better set in their own (like me), will lose humor or add it inappropriately to things that would effect those with understanding better.  

2) It allows for Americanized/English-base humor (which El-Hazard has a LOT of, even where originally it was actually a boring Japanese line), so, in conjunction with #1, it's overall more entertaining.

Good example, Fujisawa running after Jinnai saying "Your teacher is sad!" as opposed to "Field trips can be dangerous!"
"Your teacher is sad?"  I can guess this would be a great dishonor or something in Japanese culture, but to me it's a third person statement that seems irrelevant to the moment and sounds silly.
Granted this is a partial excuse for ignorance, but it also helps one stay more "in" to it if you make allowances for their own culture.
"Field trips can be dangerous!" just shows the ludicrous amount of teacher-brain that exists and makes you chuckle at how his entire outlook is obviously mapped to that of a teacher.  It's just more powerful that way.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines