Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:14:13 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Random Disturbing Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Random Disturbing Thought  (Read 6506 times)
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 02:25:02 am »

And this is how an AMI (American Megatrends Inc.) BIOS equipped IBM compatible screams "AHH!  I CAN'T FEEL MY VIDEO CARD!"

Wow you can almost hear it saying, "It's gone?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?!" That's an interesting error beep. You made it do that just for this post didn't you? ^^;

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 06:58:31 pm »

Wow you can almost hear it saying, "It's gone?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?! WHERE?!" That's an interesting error beep. You made it do that just for this post didn't you? ^^;

Actually, I had that recording for quite a while now.  ;)  But it's not hard to duplicate since it happens on pretty much ANY AMI-equipped board.  (And I got piles of 386 and 486 boards that can be started without video.)  I remember being worried one time when I was servicing my box and I got that little string.  (Athlon XP 1600+, y'know nice system worth something.)  Fortunately it was just a badly seated card I believe.

For comparison, here's the 1981 IBM PC original's much more mellow way of crying for inability to display:

http://bobstuffs.no-ip.com/El-Hazard/temp/bob/VIDBEEP.wav

I always found the AMI kinda amusing in a sadistic sense since, as you noted, it's more like a panic sound.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 06:59:17 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
freekling
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 12:45:06 am »

Besides it was just a musing no need to call the idea "ludicrous," just something to think on. Machines only can do so much, you should be nice to them if you want them to work for you.

Meh, until I see some machines going on an equal rights march, I'll continue to treat them badly.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2004, 08:30:23 pm »

Speaking of panicy error messages, Unix can generate some interesting ones at times. While Apple's switch from the original OS to a Unix based one held alot of advantages for us Mac users, we also picked up a whole new slew of Unix quirks non-users might not be familiar with. My favorite is the aptly named "Kernel Panic." If you have a piece of hardware connected that Unix doesn't like, it will freak out and display an error message in 4 different languages informing you that an erro has occured and you have to restart. You also get an incomprehensible error code at the bottom of the window. But it's not just peripherals, it also includes internal hardware! Like if you have a RAM chip that's kinda flakey or isn't seated properly, but still works Unix will go bananas until you reseat it or remove it entirely. ^^;

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines