Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:02:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  My El-Hazard RPG [A VidGame, not a text RP]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: My El-Hazard RPG [A VidGame, not a text RP]  (Read 18045 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2004, 03:05:38 pm »

Maybe even just their hair, perhaps expression.  But that's exactly what he's getting at.  :P

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2004, 04:00:13 pm »

I know.  The only FF game I ever had patience to partially digest was FF7 because it had some very neat, intertwined storylines.  But... it's like my sister said, my preference is games I can put a couple hours into and then go away for a while knowing I've succeeded a lot (as opposed to spending two hours battling monsters to raise two levels.  ;) )

Yup yup ^^

I liked 7... I liked the plot and most of the characters... I want to play 7 over again some time... but everytime I think about doing it, I go..."Ohh.. but I gotta go through Midgar again... that beginning part is annoying..."

And the max level was 30 because the EXP counter would hit the end of a 2-byte number (65535).

Dragon Warrior was awesome. It was highly amusing. I liked how the king would get all whiny if you were on a really high level and he'd beg you to go defeat the Dragon Lord cos you're supposed to be able to defeat him on like level 18 or something ^^;

My all time favorite RPG is Chrono Trigger though. I think it's the only one I've played that was perfectly balanced. You always had exactly enough money and experience to progress the story line. You NEVER have to run around just defeating stuff for no reason. If you just beat the enemies as they come, you'll be fine. The only exception being the Black Omen which I used as a late game training ground... but even then... once you went through it the first time, it was easy to nail it 2 more times since most of the boss fights are gone.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 04:04:00 pm by ifurita » Logged

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

ICQ Messenger - 16562382 AOL Instant Messenger - Meijer+Bran+TM
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2004, 08:45:47 pm »

are you (kathy) brothers with Bobby?

I'm a hardcore fan of this FF: IX. This story line I think is excellente. The cutscenes also look fantastic! Of course its graphics still sucks being that it is a PSX game and not a spectacular PS2 game, but yeah. This game has been really enjoyable, I've been going for 24 hours and 34 minutes now before i quit tonight. I don't know, is playing this game for so that long of time in four days a band thing? I can't see it being good for my health. Not one bit.

YES!!! I've finally made it do DEMON GOD(ESS)

I haven't got around to playing Chrono Trigger yet. After beating IX i plan to move to VIII then play I, II, IV, Chrono, V, VI, then VII. Then hopefully after that (if i can ever get a hold of a ps2) X and X-2. There was never a III for the psx wich is kind of depressing, but I'm planning by the end of this year to complete the whole final fantasy series besides XI of course since it is a MMORPG and I lack a connection that would allow me to be able to play that without lagging everyone in the world down. Ugh... why, why must I live out in the boonies.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 08:46:49 pm by jopn » Logged
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2004, 02:24:31 am »

are you (kathy) brothers with Bobby?

Yes he is my brother ^^ But I live literally on the other side of the planet now.

I haven't got around to playing Chrono Trigger yet. After beating IX i plan to move to VIII then play I, II, IV, Chrono, V, VI, then VII. Then hopefully after that (if i can ever get a hold of a ps2) X and X-2.

... umm... I'd play VII before I'd play VIII >_< Now this is my personal opinion but I think most people I've talked to agree with me... FF VIII had a really bad plot. There were sooo many gaping holes in it. And there were many things about VIII that were just ANNOYING. Like the fact that you need to remember to try to draw guardian forces from bosses cos if you don't you'll never be able to get it... and like when you gotta beat all those scary little Tonberry's to get Tonberry king O_o;;;

VII has a much better story and cooler characters. Vincent is awesome and Barret and Cid crack me up. And there are few villans who pull off bad ass better than Sephiroth.

Heh and don't knock games cos the graphics are old ^_~ Megaman 3, 4 and 6 are still my favorite games EVER and they aren't much to look at, but have awesome amusement factors. Besides, it was all we had when I was growing up... and many Atari titles still rule. (Dig Dug and Food Fight anyone?)

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2004, 05:36:38 am »

Well I have already played a great deal of FF VII but then screwed something up and it just pissed me off, this is why i choose for it to be last.

Oh and Megaman, Those games are sooo hard!!! Or maybe it's just i'm a bad gammer? Perhaps I am. Oh Well.

And I would be up for a game of dig dug. Sure it came out before my time but I still owned an atari and a copy of dig dug. That frogger and popeye my fav atari games. They were excellent.
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2004, 08:04:11 am »

... umm... I'd play VII before I'd play VIII >_< Now this is my personal opinion but I think most people I've talked to agree with me... FF VIII had a really bad plot. There were sooo many gaping holes in it. And there were many things about VIII that were just ANNOYING. Like the fact that you need to remember to try to draw guardian forces from bosses cos if you don't you'll never be able to get it... and like when you gotta beat all those scary little Tonberry's to get Tonberry king O_o;;;

I agree. Of all the Final Fantasy games I've played, VIII seemed the most lacking to me. It had some truly impressive cutscenes, and I loved the summon animations to the point where I didn't even care that you had to watch them over and over and over again without being able to skip or shorten them. Eden, in particular, is my all-time favorite summon (with Alexander a close second, but that one shows up in a lot of FF games).

The characters, though, were so... blah. They pretty much all had the same background, were close to the same age, and so on. Squall, in particular, was unlikable to me. I just couldn't reconcile the fact that everyone seemed to think he was this great leader, in spite of the fact that he pretty much seemed to hate everyone else only slightly less than he hated himself. :P

On a side note, if you wanna be technical, you DO get a second chance to Draw all of those guardian forces that you missed sucking out of bosses. At the end of the game, in the castle, each of the bosses there carries a Drawable GF if, and only if, you missed drawing that particular GF from its host boss earlier in the game.

VII has a much better story and cooler characters. Vincent is awesome and Barret and Cid crack me up. And there are few villans who pull off bad ass better than Sephiroth.

True dat! There's a reason that Sephy shows up in so many other Squaresoft products. And if you thought he was a badass in FFVII, you should check him out in Kingdom Hearts. Duuuuude...

I have to admit, though, that FFVI is my favorite of the Final Fantasy games, even more than FFVII. It's hard to pin down exactly why... I just enjoyed the characters more, and the plot seemed cooler, and Kefka was a clown, but he makes such an awesomely evil villain, and...

Heh and don't knock games cos the graphics are old ^_~ Megaman 3, 4 and 6 are still my favorite games EVER and they aren't much to look at, but have awesome amusement factors. Besides, it was all we had when I was growing up... and many Atari titles still rule. (Dig Dug and Food Fight anyone?)

Actually, one thing that I like about the Megaman games is that they still look shiny, even after all this time. Their art style was deliberately simple, with a lot of hard edges, so even contemporary MM games on high-end systems don't look all that different in style. Sure, you've got some extra shading, and the curves are smoother but all in all there's not a lot of difference.

Megaman 2 is still my all-time favorite Megaman game, followed by 5 and then 3. 1 was just too hard - though I have to admit that it gave me a greater sense of personal accomplishment to win through that game using only the regular blaster than any of the games that followed it. No Megaman boss yet has managed to top Elecman in terms of toughness!

The 1337 poster
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2004, 02:58:34 pm »

1 was just too hard - though I have to admit that it gave me a greater sense of personal accomplishment to win through that game

Oh yes indeed.  And from a techie's eye, you can truly see how the engine developed.  It was quite primitive in MM1, and had strange quirks such as the fast fall to death that seemed to occur.  But probably the more interesting bug was the "pause" implemented that would reset invincibilty counts and make it possible to due multiple damage on a boss.  :P

Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2004, 10:48:18 pm »

Heh.

Considering this seems to have been off topic for a bit, but I don't mind it.  I have played too many games for my own good.

---

For instance, I just got finished with a two-day goof around with the three Mario Kart games.

The Original (1992) - I always remembered having trouble with this game, and now I know why...

Mario and Luigi are to blame!

They had those invincibilities they can just turn on and off as they pleased.  It was definitely an annoyance.  Otherwise, it was impressive for a 1992 game.

The N64 version (1996) - Despite the fact the game had updated graphics and bigger courses, I thought the challenge was a bit lacking.  The mistakes cost me more than the drivers.  It just seemed less fun because it seemed that sheer stupidity cost me the wins and not the CPU.

The Gamecube version (2003) - Now the Gamecube game was something.  This was actually a lot of fun... and it was rather hilarious (watching the rear character yell as they hung on to their dear life as they were flung into the air was great).  And the computer actually got challenging after 100cc.  At 150, the gloves come off, and it usually became a fight to keep first place.

In fact, one time, they hit me with a thunderbolt, forced me off the edge, then slammed me with a spiny shell just to spite me... and I still got first!

Another time, I think was hit four times with spiny shells.  I didn't get first in that race, but on this mode, it was a hell of a time keeping the higher place.

Retaliation usually came in a bomb form for me.  Throwing the Bob-bombs at the opponents and watching them fly in the air was gratifying.

---

On Final Fantasy, I really cannot say much about it.  I liked VII, but that was it.  I have tried to like them, I really have... but I kept turning off them.  I guess I just have a problem with the series... it just kept running together and the story was rather slow in advance (being FORCED to fighting monsters is not fun).

And MMORPGs are no fun for me either.  I tried those once, and I sort of backed off after a month.  I just can't stand the idea that I would have to spend two hours at the very least just to gain one little level.  It was insane, and too time consuming.

But Chrono Trigger was always good - it could be because  the game was based around a time traveling plot (and I always have been a sucker for these types of games).

And Mario and Luigi : Superstar Saga is the best RPG game I have played in a while.  It was fun and funny.  Period.

---

Simple games are almost always a blast.  Take a little idea and building a game.  Food Fight was always good for some fun (maybe it was just throwing the food around and watching it splat against the chef was good fun).

---

But I digress.  

To have:

- something funny and...
- with a decent plot and...
- good graphics to match and...
- not forcing the person to go into pointless battling for hours at a time...

...is the best way to go when making an RPG game.

So when the RPG for El-Hazard gets going again, remember that.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2004, 10:07:42 pm »

You've already seen the graphics, they are sads yes but yet I think they are the best I can really do. :-/  I will try and work hard and put some sort of effert into this game, of course when I start it again.
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2005, 06:47:51 pm »

I don't think this is happaning, but causearuckus went down a long time ago and I was just wondering if this thing logged my jpg files or if anyoen had my sprites... cause they are long gone for me :'( and I want to start this project back up... stupid computer crashings.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2005, 08:17:58 pm »

I unfortunately do doubt that anyone still has your images... but I sure hope you don't give up too easily!  I dunno if it helps ... did I give you the Saturn game's little map sprites the first time around?  They're not perfect, but they might help model out new ones.  I'm half tempted myself to try doing an El-Hazard RPG, inspired by watching my brother play a new overhead Zelda game (Minish Cap) recently... but I guess I don't want to get involved in too much at this time.  :P

Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2005, 09:24:24 pm »

YES!!!! I can't believe it. I found an older version of my RPG but it still has Mokoto, Jinnai, Fujisawa, Shayla, Ifurita, Nanami, and Miz, but the game is a lot less completed than it was. Oh well. Atleast I found it. I would like to ask one favor, music is my life and that is the funest part about this game is choosing the music. I like one song from El-Hazard The Magnificent World 2 but I can't find it on any of the soundtracks. It is on the fourth/last episode of the magnificent. It is right when Ifurita is taking Mokoto into the funked up destructive device and while they are in it. I went through every song on the soundtracks that you have (or so I think) but I could not find that song. If anyone, you or anyone else that is nice, could help me find this one song. I would greatly appreciate it. It's kind of a good battle song for a boss or something.
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2005, 09:45:55 am »

I agree, but AFAIK it was never made into a soundtrack item.  :/

Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2005, 05:29:58 pm »

Dangit, are you sure it was never on any of the soundtracks? You said that you had like bootleg copies so, maybe on an Original it had it? Maybe not, but the song is excellent and I want to get a hold of it... Bleh...
Jojo
Demon God(ess)

The Bounty Of Blue Hair!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2005, 07:03:38 pm »

Remember how much of a pain in the butt i found the walking sprites??? The fighting sprites are even harder! just because there is a million pictures for one person, ok maybe 12 but thats for one person and all of their moves... I almost have shayla's finished so when i get it done i'll post it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines