Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:31:13 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  THIS is why Japan rules...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: THIS is why Japan rules...  (Read 15671 times)
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2004, 10:16:23 pm »

I've no idea there either to be honest, maybe she is under age? and given a order will do it? I've always found her very boring and dull like the anime she is from

^_^V Give me Shayla any day!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 10:17:35 pm by tsukasa » Logged

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2004, 12:01:20 am »

(And can someone explain why fanboys find Rei so fascinating?)

The red eyes, the silver hair, the angst........ Actually I prefer Misato myself. Never really could hang with the Loli-con thing.

(And can someone explain why fanboys find Evangelion so fascinating?)

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2004, 04:17:04 pm »

(And can someone explain why fanboys find Evangelion so fascinating?)

Beats me, but I'll tell you one thing: they sure as hell don't like humorous stories. :)

JSM
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2004, 12:53:09 am »

Beats me, but I'll tell you one thing: they sure as hell don't like humorous stories. :)

JSM

'tis true, 'tis true. I'm always amused when this type of fan gets uptight about things like Ping Pong Club.  ^^;

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2004, 10:58:50 am »

*Sighs* Not to interrupt your happy spate of Evangelion-bashing, or anything, but I thought I might throw in a positive comment or two.

First off, Why I Think Rei is Cool:

It's always entertaining to see a character who behaves completely unlike he or she would be expected to in a given situation. For instance, begin with anime cliche #348: Shinji Sees Rei Naked. The proper anime girl response to this is Rei Spazzes, Calls Shinji a Hentai, and Slaps Him Silly. Instead, Rei just gets dressed.

Rei's motivations and behaviors are unknown and, for the most part, unpredictable. They make her mysterious, and fans that find her appealing (at least fans that aren't lusting after her body like the lolicon freaks they are :P) find enjoyment in trying to figure out her mysteries. Of course now, with both the series and the movies several years old, and pretty much all of the secrets of the show revealed, there's not much to Rei that's still mysterious, which takes away a lot of her charm. I still remember, though, watching the series for the first time, and being fascinated by her strangeness, and that reserves a warm spot in my heart for her.

The series itself, actually, is much the same way. It behaved in ways that no one could possibly have expected. It started out almost as an almost predictable mecha show - fun and adventures with a quasi-zany cast. Ah, and there was much laughing at Shinji's spinelessness, Misato's slovenly habits, and Asuka's near-constant rage. And let us not forget dear PenPen, the Wacky Warm-Water Penguin that lives in Misato's fridge!

Midway through, it suddenly twisted upside-down, becoming dark and almost horrifying. Things proceeded to worsen, with the characters we'd grown to love tormented and killed, and their dark secrets made known. And then, finally, the psychological train-wreck that capped the series off.

I enjoyed Evangelion, because it was a huge departure from pretty much everything else at the time. As much as he is criticized for doing so, I respect the director for having the guts to brutally tear down everything that he had erected. It was unexpected, and to me at least, it was fun to watch.

Needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of Evangelion "fandom", who largely seem to think that Anno is a maniac, and that Shinji should have Got the Girl and Saved the Day. :P

Nowadays, Evangelion doesn't really stand out. There are tons of shows that try to delve into the psychological "Who am I"s and "Why am I Here"s of the characters. Of course, they exist because of Evangelion, which is the series that popularized that kind of thing.

So that's why I like it. Well, that and because of Gendo. Gendo's just so freaking awesome, I headbutt my dog so hard we both screamed! And that's what I call Real Ultimate Power!

The 1337 poster
js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2004, 01:57:43 pm »

I'm sorry--didn't mean for you to think I was bashing Evangelion. Quite the contrary, I think it's an incredible series that deserves all the praise it receives. I just don't understand why so many male fans find Rei so fascinating.

I mean...my God, why settle for that when you could have a redhead? ^_^V

But I had an odd experience with the EVA contingent that still leaves me scratching my head. I wrote a humorous story called "Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi" (Latin for "Always Wear, Under Wear" for them not in the know). Basic premise is that Touji and Kensuke force Shinji into a bet--he has to produce a pair of Asuka's panties by the next day or terrible things will come to pass. Got some good response from it on ff.net, and a few buddies suggested I submit it to evafics.org.

Boy, was that ever a mistake.

You'd have thought I'd pissed on Gendo's orange goo from their reaction. :)

JSM
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2004, 04:56:58 pm »

I'm sorry--didn't mean for you to think I was bashing Evangelion. Quite the contrary, I think it's an incredible series that deserves all the praise it receives. I just don't understand why so many male fans find Rei so fascinating.

Well, I wasn't targetting you, specifically, with that statement... At any rate, there's no offense taken. I know that people's opinions differ, both on Eva and on Rei in particular. ;) Sometimes, though, it feels as though people come down on Eva simply because it makes them feel cool and unique to dump on the "in" thing. "Yeah, everybody loves Eva, but what's so great about it? Me, I think it sucks. Aren't I cool and unique?"

I mean...my God, why settle for that when you could have a redhead? ^_^V

Really, I'd prefer someone who would spend all day staring through me as though I didn't exist to someone who would relish stomping my face into the dirt at every opportunity, myself. ;D Asuka is energetic and active, but in a very negative way. Her every motion is designed to push other people down and herself up. I despise people like her in real life. Even though she has solid psychological reasons for behaving the way she does (it's not just an ego trip - being the best is the only way that she can keep sane), doesn't change the fact that she behaves the way she does.

Truthfully, though, I've never really looked at either Asuka or Rei in a romantic light. They're simply too young, in spite of Asuka's attempts to appear older. The kids in Evangelion may have been budding adults, but moreso than many other anime, they were children who really ACTED like children. Messed up and abused children, but children nonetheless. It's hard to be attracted to someone like that, even if they do have a shapely figure. The thought of dating one of them is just... discomforting, in a way that the thought of dating, say, Witch Hunter Robin (just a mere year older than the Eva kids, even though she looks and acts like a full-grown adult) isn't. Most of the time, I found myself wanting to comfort and nurture them, rather than date and romance them. They don't need a night of hot, passionate sex - they need a hug. And in a big way.

Of course, there are plenty in Eva fandom who seem to feel differently than I on that count. :P Still, this is one of the reasons that I tend to steer clear of Eva romance fanfictions. I simply do not believe that ANY of the Eva kids (or for that matter, most of the Eva adults  -_-) are emotionally capable of any kind of stable romantic relationship. They need to work out their own inner demons first, and as the end of the franchise showed, they simply ain't very good at that...

But I had an odd experience with the EVA contingent that still leaves me scratching my head. I wrote a humorous story called "Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi" (Latin for "Always Wear, Under Wear" for them not in the know). Basic premise is that Touji and Kensuke force Shinji into a bet--he has to produce a pair of Asuka's panties by the next day or terrible things will come to pass. Got some good response from it on ff.net, and a few buddies suggested I submit it to evafics.org.

Boy, was that ever a mistake.

You'd have thought I'd pissed on Gendo's orange goo from their reaction. :)

JSM

I thought Eva fans LOVED to piss on Gendo's orange goo? Or just on Gendo in general? XD Ah, but I don't mind. People SHOULD want to piss on his orange goo. I love him dearly, but I know he's a cold, ruthless, hateful bastard. In fact, I love him BECAUSE he's a cold, ruthless, hateful bastard. There are very few villains in anime I enjoyed as much as him.

The 1337 poster
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2004, 11:18:23 pm »

--didn't mean for you to think I was bashing Evangelion.

I, however, was.....  ;D

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2004, 12:04:46 am »

I, however, was.....  ;D

Yeah, YOU were the one I was targetting specifically with that statement. XD

The 1337 poster
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2004, 10:34:19 pm »

Yeah, YOU were the one I was targetting specifically with that statement. XD

Thank you, Spanner-kun! Though there's no denying the dark genius of Anno Hideaki-sensei, when it comes to Evangelion I just have to go like this:  -_-

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2004, 12:02:49 am »

Your daily dose of wrongness...

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2004, 04:46:30 pm »

Yup, there's never a shortage of material worthy of ressurecting this thread.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 04:47:22 pm by saucer » Logged

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2004, 05:33:57 pm »

wow... I kinda like the art on that pillow actually ^^;;;;

I must be tired.

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2004, 07:53:00 pm »

wow... I kinda like the art on that pillow actually ^^;;;;

I must be tired.

Well, the artwork is rather detailed. Including a filled-in background. Unlike this Onegai Twins pillow....

xxdemongodifuritaxx
Demon God(ess)

I will do anything to make my Master happy

AOL Instant Messenger - KowaiNoNeko Yahoo Instant Messenger - xxdemongodxx
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2004, 05:39:37 pm »

*had been really kinda skipping over this thread for a while now but just finally clicked on it and is now sitting in front of the computer with a look on my face*

guess which one it is =^-^=

http://www.sharemation.com/crimsonclover82/IfuritaShock.jpg

or this

http://www.sharemation.com/crimsonclover82/IfuritaAmused.jpg

Punish me Master! I've been a bad demon god. ^^
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines