Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:30 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El Hazard Artbook on Ebay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: El Hazard Artbook on Ebay  (Read 7742 times)
js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 14, 2004, 01:59:01 pm »

One of the EH art books ("Etranger") is up for grabs on eBay (auction closes January 20).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3267098791&category=1345

JSM
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 03:56:28 pm »

I'm curious how many people here are really collectors... I know collecting this stuff is very trying and expensive, part of the reason I made it open to the public on this site.  :P

But seriously, out of curiosity, are any of you guys collectors, truly or potentially?

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 04:09:24 pm »

But seriously, out of curiosity, are any of you guys collectors, truly or potentially?

I'd have to reply with a negative.  I love the series and might buy the manga someday, but as for collecting special novelty items...probably only if they're fairly inexpensive and can be procured without too much difficulty.
theravenisdead
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 04:45:13 pm »

If I had the cash I'd be stockpiling, no question. But Im poor  ^^; -_-
Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

AOL Instant Messenger - holyknightwayne
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 08:52:47 pm »

Being a pragmatic bloke, I tend to only collect things I can use. And as Japanese characters might as well be cuneiform for all I know of the language... I probably won't collect anything El-Hazard. *chuckles*

Don't get me wrong, though; I'm definitely grateful to you for being able to check out the scans ("Ooh, purty pictures!") even if I can't make heads or tails out of the text.

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 09:19:00 pm »

I know, Wayne.  But on the other hand, it's El-Hazard merchandise, and I'm just the type crazy enough to want it for that reason alone.  Although knowing I can't understand Japanese is what put off buying the radio drama for a long time ... until Tim found it real cheap somewhere.  :B

Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 10:00:52 pm »

I'm just the type crazy enough to want it for that reason alone.

Hey, there's nothing at all wrong with that. :) And I was a bit hasty myself with the whole "useful" clause-- I like swords, for example, and over the years I've picked up two katana, a broadsword, a wakizashi, two daggers (one's a Japanese tanto) and a rapier (and I'd have more, but they're pretty bloody expensive, heh). And it's not like I'll ever go ahead slicing people up, so.... *chuckles*

At least you picked a good series, though. :D One of my friends is a hardcore Evangelion fanboy, and has collected hundreds of dollars worth of periphery from that series-- I don't know if you like it or not, but I never did; so I always thought that was pretty funny (of course, everyone has eccentricities, heh).

"Die... a glorious death. Fight on and fly on, to the last drop of blood and fuel... to the last beat of the heart and the last kick of the motor... a death for a knight, a toast for his fellows, friend and foe."

-Manfred von Rich
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 05:22:49 pm »

I never saw it.  Apparently there's this law in my life that prevents me from watching anything that's mainstream.  That is, I've never seen Big-O, Evangelion, OMG!, Tenchi Muyo [any], etc. and I've never completely watched Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, DBZ, and other shows like that.  Basically, the only shows I watch are under circumstance.

What I have seen:

Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Sister: "Hey, Bob, you should see this show I bought while I was at school."

El-Hazard - AIM Buddy: "Hey, Rob, you should see this music video I just downloaded."

Hand Maid May - "Nanbara is voiced by Bob Marx (Jinnai's English VA)."  (And incidentally Nanami's VA and Afura's VA also featured)

Tokyo Revelation - Bob Marx again. (And incidentally Makoto's VA and Alielle's VA also featured)

Etc.

Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 05:42:27 pm »

:o So... you're like an inverse otaku or something, then? :D That's pretty wild. Again, nothing at all wrong with it... I'm just surprised. *chuckles*

I liked the original Tenchi Muyo! OAVs (*points to Kagato avatar*)... it's similar to El Hazard in several ways, and was one of the first anime I've ever seen... I'd recommend it, if you ever get the chance. Ah! My Goddess is very shoujo... I'm almost certain I only really like it because it balances out the gaping void in my psyche left by the scarring of DBZ, Scryed, Bubblegum Crisis, and so on, heh.

But for the most part, while I have watched mainstream anime (pretty much everything that came on CN, anyway) the only one I've really liked was Inuyasha. Even popular anime in Japan (like Naruto) I haven't really liked. So in some ways you're not missing all that much. :]

Going somewhat back on topic... were there ever any English El-Hazard books made (even unofficially)? Besides the manga/graphic novels, of course. I doubt it (and I think you said so somewhere else on the site, Rob), but I just wanted to check; and I've seen some English anime material recently, which reminded me.

-Manfred von Rich
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2004, 12:17:51 am »

El-Hazard, unlike some other animes, was not made out of a manga.  (It was produced direct to OAV.)  Therefore, the only manga of it is unofficial.  However, once you take out doujins, the only thing left is Tsubara's work and "comicifications" of the series.  That is, after they were produced, someone took the cels from the show and applied a computer filter to them to look like they were manga art.  (Although someone who owns them and posted about them said they at least have a little bit of original art here and there.)  There are also novelizations of El-Hazard, but again just based on what was already made.

The comicifications I don't seem much value in, but the novels might've been interesting.  Unfortuantely, they're all in Japanese except Tsubara's work.

OT, Tsubara's style can be summarized this way: "He's a good artist, but he's really facinated with boobies."

js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2004, 03:37:55 pm »

OT, Tsubara's style can be summarized this way: "He's a good artist, but he's really facinated with boobies."

God bless 'im.  ;D

Question--does anyone really care about this stuff? Only reason I posted this one and the last was that I thought someone might be interested in getting it. But if it's an annoyance, I'll stop.

JSM
Wayne
Demon God(ess)

Reverend Strawman

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2004, 03:49:36 pm »

El-Hazard, unlike some other animes, was not made out of a manga.  (It was produced direct to OAV.)  Therefore, the only manga of it is unofficial.

I did know that first bit (that the manga was made following the anime), but not the second-- I guess when I saw a Viz-published series manga I automatically assumed it was "official." *chuckles* I've never seen the Viz version anywhere out here, but then; I do live in the middle-of-nowhere Missouri. :|

Morris (or would it be JS? :D)-- Nah, don't worry about it. I'm not much for Japanese goods or E-Bay (besides music, heh); but it is helpful to know for anyone who is (not everybody is going to keep looking out for rare El Hazard material; and posting notices like this is very helpful). If I came off as not being appreciative, it was probably just because I was answering Rob's original question ("Anyone interesting in collecting this stuff?").

-Manfred von Rich
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2004, 10:36:05 pm »

I'm curious how many people here are really collectors... I know collecting this stuff is very trying and expensive, part of the reason I made it open to the public on this site.  :P

I'm not much of acollector. I prefer to spend my money on more videos rather than merchandise. El Hazard is the exception, of course. ^_^ Althogh the only thing's  really have are the manga, AIC Comic anthology and TV artbook. I really wish I had the OVA artbook, but I don't feel like fooling around with eBay.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
js_morris
Demon God(ess)

Defender of Fair Play

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2004, 03:39:51 pm »

Morris (or would it be JS? :D)-- Nah, don't worry about it. I'm not much for Japanese goods or E-Bay (besides music, heh); but it is helpful to know for anyone who is (not everybody is going to keep looking out for rare El Hazard material; and posting notices like this is very helpful).

Jeff is fine. I answer to practically anything. :)

I like to collect stuff related to the various series I'm interested in; right now I'm tracking down the four "Haibane Renmei" doujinshi the anime was based on (I've got two right now and a line on the other two). I think it's partly due to seeing the artwork and concepts, and partly the "thrill of the hunt". :)

JSM
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 09:43:30 pm »

I would bid on it but  ;Dalready have the art book in question I am keeping my eye out for the Alt World one

I guess they never made a ova 2 art book did they?

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines