Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:32:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Quiz Script Prototype
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Quiz Script Prototype  (Read 4288 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2004, 02:41:34 am »

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/cgi-bin/EHAT/ehat.cgi?quiz=quiz1

Hoho.  CAN YOU TAKE ON ALL 121 QUESTIONS!!?

I just did.  And I spent the previous 5 hours or so setting this up.   ^^;  Brain hurts...

Well, anyway, it's not done yet... currently it's processing ALL of MrWhat's questions, which is far too much and also not what was planned.  Eventually I want to have it only display perhaps 1/4 of the total available questions per section and of course have them in a random order.

Speaking of sections, I broke the questions up into five sections as follows:

Characters
El-Hazard Knowledge
El-Hazard Events
Little Things
Shinonome Events

I don't like this category order, but again, I was just prototyping the actual system.  :P

Anyway.  Each one is described briefly in the test as to its purpose.  (Click the link to see.)  

Now, I'd like some input.

1) Formatting -- should this look special, like a test sheet or something?

2) Section names/descriptions -- good/bad?

3) Should sections be weighted?  I.E. The "little things" section has ~40 questions, the "Shinonome Events" section has ~10.  Should they all be individually percentage based?  Currently they're all "1 point" towards the total.

As long as the categories are OK, I'd like to see any future quiz submissions formatted under those headers.  Half the trouble was going through the whole pool of questions to sort them out.  ;)  

Also, MrWhat, I'm very glad you provided a consistent four answers; saved me a lot of time.  But next time, if you plan to do anymore, try to mix up the answers and asterisk the correct one for when I have to reformat them for the script program.  Not that I can't answer them, of course ;) , but less time spent thinking and more time reformatting gets it done quicker.  Answer "D" was the correct one in 99% of the questions which I guess was deliberate but I had to reorganize and all.   ^^;

Other than that, it looks great.  The final grading sheet probably should not tell you which sections you lost points in; you'll just end up with a percentage and its up to you to know where you're weaknesses are.  (And to help so you don't keep clicking BACK on your browser to change each answer in each question especially on ones you didn't know for sure / etc.)

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 09:41:14 am »

Seems to work okay. But just so you know... there's a probelm with the first question- "Who is the first person to appear in OAV1?" I believe it's Fujisawa, but you've got the answer as Jinnai. (Well, you could argue that it's Ifurita, what with her opening monologue and all...)

dooky

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 11:22:29 am »

No, you're right, it's Fujisawa.  Give me a break, it was at the end of a very long stretch.   ^^;  *fixes*

Somehow I mentally skipped over the intro imagery straight into the pit where they show Jinnai without first stopping to have Fujisawa push students out of the way.

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 12:51:48 am »

1. Formatting looks fine to me. Simple is always better IMHO. I imagine you'll be adding the trademark EHOL parchment background?  ;D

2. I hadn't thought of that before. But you know, that's a really good idea! Is it also a good idea to actually tell them which sections they did poorly in, so they'll know what they need to work on? Like actual points missed, not which questions of course. This quiz will all be on one page I assume? So, if they saw that they did bad in a section and tried to hit back and try again the ones they thought they missed then it would just randomize and select new questions when the page reloaded?

3. If you're only using 1/4 of the questions, that would mean there would be about 30 questions per quiz. That's approx 6 questions per section so I'd say it's fair the way it is without weighting them one way or another? One point each should suffice IMHO.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
theravenisdead
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 08:20:13 pm »

95. Not bad me guess  ^^; ....  ^_^V
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 11:23:48 pm »

1) Formatting -- should this look special, like a test sheet or something?

To my eyes, there's no need to put "A" to "D" in front of the answers.  But there's no harm in leaving that in, either, if it's easier for you or others.  I can't nit-pick anything else.  Clean and simple is good.

2) Section names/descriptions -- good/bad?

3) Should sections be weighted?  I.E. The "little things" section has ~40 questions, the "Shinonome Events" section has ~10.  Should they all be individually percentage based?  Currently they're all "1 point" towards the total.

^^;  I might be in the minority opinion here.  But I wouldn't make sections.  The final test will be about 40 questions at most?  You shouldn't need sections on an exam that short.  And you're just making more work for yourself.

You could weigh questions by difficulty, if everyone agrees on that.  Like I've said, I won't try to judge the relative difficulty of my own questions.

As long as the categories are OK, I'd like to see any future quiz submissions formatted under those headers.  Half the trouble was going through the whole pool of questions to sort them out.  ;)

Can do, either way.  (I wrote the first batch as I watched the OVA, in viewing order.)  You'll all probably reach a decision on categories before I work up more questions (see below).

Also, MrWhat, I'm very glad you provided a consistent four answers; saved me a lot of time.  But next time, if you plan to do anymore, try to mix up the answers and asterisk the correct one for when I have to reformat them for the script program.  Not that I can't answer them, of course ;) , but less time spent thinking and more time reformatting gets it done quicker.  Answer "D" was the correct one in 99% of the questions which I guess was deliberate but I had to reorganize and all.   ^^;

"^^;" again-- answer "D" should have been the correct answer for all of the questions.  Did I miss a few?  Also, for whatever reason, I was assuming that the quiz page was going to list answers in a random order each time it was loaded.  But yes, I can randomize and asterisk too.

I have a five-day holiday weekend in February.  If nothing else comes up, and if no one else volunteers to do it first, I'll set aside one of those five days for a Wanderers marathon and question-writing session.  And I'll try to pull OVA2 and Alt World down sometime during the week.  I don't expect many good questions to come out of those other two sequels.  All that, plus a handful of really-hard trivia questions, should give you a pool of 400 to 500 questions from me.

I was hoping to have more personal free time in 2004, but it doesn't look good, at least through March.  Man, I've barely worked on any of my own projects since August!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 12:22:09 am »

"^^;" again-- answer "D" should have been the correct answer for all of the questions.  Did I miss a few?  Also, for whatever reason, I was assuming that the quiz page was going to list answers in a random order each time it was loaded.  But yes, I can randomize and asterisk too.

... maybe I had opted for that.  I don't really remember.  I only know I have so much to do and then I have to trust HasWeb to be a steady provider and not bail on me.  I can't host this site on my own anymore because of bandwidth drain preventing internet access which currently is upsetting my mother who is taking a computer class and dealing with frustrations/etc of bad internet time.  :P  *ahem*  Question answers can be randomized ... I just got an interesting idea of how ... maybe manual mixing won't be required on your part after all, MrWhat, as long as you either asterisk or keep your answer D routine.

Man, I've barely worked on any of my own projects since August!

Well, you don't HAVE to do this.  You've done more than minimum already.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines