Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:21:55 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard Cosplay?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard Cosplay?  (Read 10443 times)
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2003, 07:51:38 am »

Anybody here ever tried this? It seems that next summer, I'll finally get to go to a con, and I'm in a cosplayin' mood. And the character I want to cosplay as is...

(pause for effect)

(realises that everyone has already guessed)

Yeah, Fatora. Not Makoto dressed as Fatora, but actually Fatora (there is a subtle difference ^_^) I have 9-10 months to make a costume, which might seem like a long time... but you see, I don't have that much sewing experience. My qualifications in the subject amount to basic plushie engineering and making some Azumanga daddy hats to promote our anime club. I've never sewn actual clothes before, so this is going to be one hell of a challenge ^_^

Incidentally, the one I've chosen is the mostly blue one from OAV1 (probably harder than the green one, sadly ^_^). I might also cheat and throw in one of the hats from the other costumes, to disguise the fact that I don't have Fatora's fringe. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had anecdotes to share about costume-making. Alternatively, you may have just lost all respect for me ^_^

Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 08:15:22 am »

Last year at Aya Returns I saw a Jinnai and tv seires Ifurita cosplayers they were both very good and did a great preformance

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 09:46:52 am »

Most people already know my sister Sarah pulled off OAV Ifurita once.

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/images/cosplay/Sarah_Ifurita.jpg
http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/images/cosplay/Sarah_Ifurita2.jpg

I still think she should've taken off her glasses, at least for the pictures; they're a tad distracting... but anyway.  It was pretty slick, but I don't know the development details.  She did have a friend at college who was good at sewing, so you may not get any actual help there.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

Waaaa~~~aah! What is this..???? ~Help...

AOL Instant Messenger - TVIfurita
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 03:21:10 pm »

If I'd be more feminine and/or more cute, then I'd do IFurita right away, including anything, and not worry about anything. Alas, I am not. Which sucks.

I even had detailed sketches once. But well...yes, my gender is nasty =/

Thats the only char I'd have interest in in El Hazard. The only other I could cosplay would be Makoto as Fatora or Fatora herself. Anyone else would be too...odd. XD My hair won't work with that and theres no way I'd cut it. ^^ ever.

As for respect - nah, normal =) Did Ukyo once *smiles* So I don't think its that special XD
Only thing you really have to pay attention to is the cut. You can so easily mess up horribly nnd only notice when sewing everything together. Ie: Work totally crap, failure. =/

Evil is about being nice!

Cleaning Cleaning! Fix Fix! Cleaning Cleaning!
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 03:47:44 pm »

In my highschool years, I was a dead-on clone of Jinnai. The hair, my physique, my demented and cruel persona... EVERYTHING was spot-on.

Unfortunately, my college years have not been kind to me. I have bulked up, my physique became to manly, and my impressive bishonen face makes too many of the opposite gender fall into lust-enduced comas. Alas, I long for the days of my high school years...

I Care Deep
Tsukasa
Bugrom Forces

Illregular Hunter

AOL Instant Messenger - NikBzero Yahoo Instant Messenger - Zerotoleranceex
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 07:49:00 pm »

http://www.anime.me.uk/gallery/details.php?image_id=496

Tv Ifurita from the UK Con Aya Returns which took place Nov 2002

"I know that laugh and it's not a happy one....."

Xel
Demon God(ess)

now he dead from coke

AOL Instant Messenger - Hojosama
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 08:31:00 pm »

_
Last year at Aya Returns I saw a Jinnai and tv seires Ifurita cosplayers they were both very good and did a great preformance

Was he a complete and total sexpot? If not, I cannot accept him as anything more than a cheap imitation.

Whoa, sig idea. *runs off*
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 08:37:28 pm by xel » Logged

Sexpot. Despot. Jinnai.
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 03:53:36 am »

Most people already know my sister Sarah pulled off OAV Ifurita once.

http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/images/cosplay/Sarah_Ifurita.jpg
http://www.el-hazardonline.net/El-Hazard/images/cosplay/Sarah_Ifurita2.jpg

I still think she should've taken off her glasses, at least for the pictures; they're a tad distracting... but anyway.

Everyone's a critic :p

Anyhow I modified that outfit a tad later, adding the blue stripes to the sleeves... they are missing in that version of the outfit (I ran out of time).

Anyhow, in college my friends and I liked to make cosplay outfits for the hell of it (and for cons). Gina was the only one with mad sewing skills. So the rest of us had to get REAL creative. So our solution was to hit the local Salvation Armys and scope out anything that we could use to turn into an outfit. Prom dresses are like gold. My Ifurita outfit was made out of a prom gown that I carefully hacked apart. The light blue trim, veil  and long light blue wrist drapes were all part of a night gown.

I also have a Duo Maxwell and outfit that was made in a similar manner ^_^ Modifying stuff works pretty well if you're creative with it. I mean if your character wears a t-shirt why re-invent the wheel? My Enzan Injuin outfit was easy to make too since the only thing I really had to modify was that weird ass black midriff he wears over his yellow shirt 9_9

You don't always need to be able to sew either ^_^; If you run short on time, hot glue and stitch witchery work wonders ^_^ (Especially on annoying little things like hems).

I'd like to make a Sapphire (Princess Knight) outfit over the summer... *sigh* I need to find out if there is a good thrift store in Guam... I also need to find out where the nearest fabric shop is... If I knew that I could start it now... But I have a sneaky feeling it'll be my summer project.

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 05:21:50 pm »

Anyhow, in college my friends and I liked to make cosplay outfits for the hell of it (and for cons). Gina was the only one with mad sewing skills. So the rest of us had to get REAL creative. So our solution was to hit the local Salvation Armys and scope out anything that we could use to turn into an outfit. Prom dresses are like gold. My Ifurita outfit was made out of a prom gown that I carefully hacked apart. The light blue trim, veil  and long light blue wrist drapes were all part of a night gown.

The story of the infamous Ifurita costume is revealed! ^_^ That was a cool costume. Maybe next time you could accompany it with some M4YH3M? ;D

I'd like to make a Sapphire (Princess Knight) outfit over the summer... *sigh* I need to find out if there is a good thrift store in Guam... I also need to find out where the nearest fabric shop is... If I knew that I could start it now... But I have a sneaky feeling it'll be my summer project.

Hey, for Sapphire all you need is some dental floss for the outfit and a fancy ornamental garbage can for the headpiece and....... ooohhhh you mean Princess Knight whoops.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2003, 05:23:27 pm by saucer » Logged

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 08:03:09 pm »

Here are the best El-Hazard cosplay pictures I've found, I think.  The costumes are excellent, the gal doing TV-Ifurita is perfectly kawaii, and the guy is practically a real-life Jinnai.  Direct links to JPEGs seem to be disallowed, so scroll down to "Ifurita" on this page:
Cosplays da Aino

EDIT:  Deleted some poorly worded pointlessness  :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 04:51:38 pm by mrwhat » Logged
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 02:51:02 am »

Hey, for Sapphire all you need is some dental floss for the outfit and a fancy ornamental garbage can for the headpiece and....... ooohhhh you mean Princess Knight whoops.  ;D

:o

Which is why I am NOT doing Marine Express Sapphire ^_^;

I also kinda wanna do Rockman EXE (cos he's shaped more like a normal person -- Rockman outfits are hard to do :p  )

Just to be difficult I think it'd be hilarious if someone tried to cosplay Gyroman. They'd have to turn sideways to get in doors and shit! I'd be half tempted to do that for sheer shock value. I think it needs to be on my list of stuff to do before I die.

I'd also like to do princess Zelda someday... but I'd want to make all her jewelry ^_^ I could soooo do that too ^_^ ... now to obtain some brass, solder and an acetelyne torch...

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 06:02:47 am »

Guys doing Fatora sounds like fun...

Not for Fatora ^_~
(sorry, couldn't resist)

I think I'll be okay, since I'm quite feminine-looking and have a similar figure to Fatora (minus the boobage, but there's ways around that). Also, one of my friends is a cosplay veteran... I'm currently trying to talk her into going as Shayla.

I'm mindful of those horrible pictures you ocasionally see in Newtype of eighteen-stone men cosplaying Sailor Moon. I'm reasonably sure I can pull this one off, though...

tvifurita
Dimension Traveler

Waaaa~~~aah! What is this..???? ~Help...

AOL Instant Messenger - TVIfurita
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 07:22:32 am »

And why wouldn't it work? I know a male "fatora", and few actually noticed. In addition, I know of a male TV Ifurita, and he didn't seem overly manly. The pic was on a certain ML so long ago, and it looked fine ^^

So generally I think its totally fine. Unless, of course, you are said 18ton bearded guy with hair all over his body. Thats ridiculous, but that person isn't paying attention and/or doing effort, but doing it as a total joke - an overdone joke, I must add. But other than that...there are people cosplaying as espers, dragons, pokemon - so why not a guy who pays attention a girl? Doesn't seemso nasty to me. As said, would I actually be more cute, then I'd try it like that myself - and you CAN appear more feminine if you use makeup. Which I have never gotten myself, so don't ask me.

Due my behaviour quite some random people think I'm female anyway. "nono, let the young lady pass first"

"I think its your job" (Male person at airport to female person, on the subject of checking for nasty mean weapons on me)

XD So, really. I don't see the problem. Gender roles are funny anyhow XD
And I really need to find a way to shrink a few inches and seem cute otherwise. -.-'

However...

Fatora: "Ohoho. See, even these stupid earthlings have noticed MY beauty!" *goes towards dooky*
"Look Alielle. Like this one!" *glomps dooky, who most likely will not resist*
"Hey...something is...squishy..."

XD Yes, its a lame alternative world joke. Sue me XD

Evil is about being nice!

Cleaning Cleaning! Fix Fix! Cleaning Cleaning!
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 09:42:07 am »

Oh, but it'd be worth it, despite the inevitable bad hurting that would follow ^_^

Hands up who thinks Alexei should cosplay as TV Iffy? It could work. As you said, it's usually about the amount of effort put into the costume. Obviously there's a point at which it becomes completely unfeasible... but if you're feminine enough to be mistaken for a girl occasionally, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem...

Of course, the benefit to cosplaying Fatora is that most of her costumes (with one or two memorable exceptions) don't show too much in the way of boobage, so the fact that I'm breastless doesn't really amtter, and a bit of padding should do the trick. TV Iffy's costume does show a bit of cleavage, but I think it's still do-able. I know of a guy who cosplayed as Naga from Slayers, with a surprising amount of success o_o

And now, a shameless request... I'm looking for pictures of my costume. I've gone via the usual routes, and I've found some... aside from OAV1 screenshots, I've found the original costume design and a few artbook pictures on this site, plus the paper doll thing. These should be enough, but if anyone happens to have any more, it'd be helpful. Just so you know, this is the costume worn by fatora in episode 7 and Makoto in episodes 5 and 6- mostly blue jacket, over a green top and pale green trousers/skirt hybrid thingy.

dooky (with a flower in his hair)

Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 09:47:12 am »

I think I'll be okay, since I'm quite feminine-looking and have a similar figure to Fatora (minus the boobage, but there's ways around that). Also, one of my friends is a cosplay veteran... I'm currently trying to talk her into going as Shayla.

Actually, as far as boobage goes, Fatora's one of the most modestly-endowed anime women I've seen. (Which is fine by me - I've never been one to be attracted to the huge, bouncing, spine-shattering melons that seem to be the industry standard in anime -_-.) Probably part of the reason Makoto can impersonate her so easily. There's been debates, I know, as to whether they look alike because Makoto is effeminate or Fatora is manly, but really, I think it's a little of both.

The 1337 poster
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines