Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:35:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  The Alternative Contributer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: The Alternative Contributer  (Read 8175 times)
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2003, 02:40:02 am »

You may want to make a script that can randomly generate the order in which the questions appear for that user.

You may also want to make it so that you have more questions than is neccessary (i.e. they only have to answer 20 questions, but the script can pick randomly from a set of 50 preprogrammed questions).

I say this because if you create ONE standard test you KNOW someone will set up an El-Hazard cheat sheet somewhere on the net that will allow them and all their buddies automatically pass the test with no effort whatsoever (cept for the 20 required posts in the forum)and leech your many MP3s.

Just a thought...

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2003, 08:58:00 am »

You may want to make a script that can randomly generate the order in which the questions appear for that user.

You may also want to make it so that you have more questions than is neccessary (i.e. they only have to answer 20 questions, but the script can pick randomly from a set of 50 preprogrammed questions).

I say this because if you create ONE standard test you KNOW someone will set up an El-Hazard cheat sheet somewhere on the net that will allow them and all their buddies automatically pass the test with no effort whatsoever (cept for the 20 required posts in the forum)and leech your many MP3s.

Just a thought...

??? ??? ???

Just how many people out there do you expect are going to be itching to swipe these MP3's, anyway? I mean, even the people who used to be giving Rob trouble, the ones who'd sign up, download all the MP3's and then scoot, even they were almost certainly El-Hazard fans, right?

Frankly, I don't think putting up a test will help to screen out these people. They know what El-Hazard is, they like the music, but they don't want to be part of the community here. They'll be able to answer your questions and earn the "Tested Through" nametag even if they never come back to your website again.

I think that the best solution is the one mentioned before - wait until someone has posted a certain number of times, then give them the nametag (though probably not "Tested Through" - perhaps something like "Participant"). Make the number reasonably high, like 30 or so, to make it difficult for people to just post a bunch of contentless messages in order to earn the privilege. Don't advertise anywhere on the website that this is what is necessary to activate MP3 access, either - if they want to know, let them come onto the forums and ask. :)

Having a test would be a pointless endevour. The people interested in your MP3's would be able to pass it without any trouble. What we really want is to encourage people to participate, right?

The 1337 poster
theravenisdead
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2003, 09:05:25 am »

I say limit mp3 downloads to those with a significant number of posts on the forum. To keep things in check,  If a member with mp3 privilages havnt posted any new posts for a specific ammount of time, revoke their mp3 privilages untill they make a return and stay around.

Though I'd like ta try my wits at an EH trivia  ;D
Makoto Mizuhara
Dimension Traveler

Mak-Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2003, 09:26:17 am »

Yep, Me and Robbie already discussed that.  20 Questions from a Pool of 50?!  Ha!  I scoff at that number... SCOFF I tell you!  

My pool is much, much bigger...

Remember, these are the E.H.A.T.'s   You better get a #2 pencil ready....

I say limit mp3 downloads to those with a significant number of posts on the forum. To keep things in check,  If a member with mp3 privilages havnt posted any new posts for a specific ammount of time, revoke their mp3 privilages untill they make a return and stay around.

Though I'd like ta try my wits at an EH trivia  

I agree with Raven on that one.  Of course, this isn't about the MP3's for me, this is a matter of stumping all of you... *G*  

*cackle's wickedly*

You're all gonna have to work for it...  ^_^V

El-Hazard Information, collected with TLC because of OCD...

(http://www.geocities.com/MakotosMWO/) http://www.el-hazardonline.net
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2003, 09:58:38 am »

In that case, perhaps posting is still more important than testing.  But it's two-fold.  See, we have someone on board who has a thousand posts but only has a very minor viewing of El-Hazard -- two episodes of the second OAV I think.  That's of course Lar.  She really doesn't know anything about El-Hazard except facts she picks up randomly and what little she saw in OAV2 1&2.

But arbitrarily, yes, this test thing is still cool even if ultimately it's figured that it's unnecessary for MP3age.  Although I'm pretty sure we can still use it as a secondary device.

Community + Knowledge = MP3s.

Just a thought...

Oh, that's certainly a given!  Makoto over here was promising something like 200 questions, give or take.  But an actual test would build itself and change every time.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
theravenisdead
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2003, 04:01:08 pm »

Im ready and waiting fer the EHAT's  ^_^V *gets out his sharpened pencils, high-tech space pen, and a box of thumbtacks*
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2003, 11:40:27 pm »

Community + Knowledge = MP3s.

Now there's a damn good slogan to keep in mind! I agree totally.

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 12:52:08 pm »

Eventually instead of the notices about being a contributer, all informational messages will only read "Community + Knowledge = MP3s" and they will be forced to understand.  :P

dronealien
Londs' Screen Time

"Dark Hero"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 03:52:46 pm »

Well, here is an idea that is kinda a repeat of one above somewhere, but with small alterations.

How 'bout Admin. Rob check to see how many posts a person has made, and along with that, read to see if the posts sound like they are actual info. instead of blabber, and judge permanent MP3 rights from that. 8)

Or have I spoken too soon? ^^;

Oh and a word of advice........don't drink sugar water. :|
« Last Edit: November 02, 2003, 03:58:19 pm by dronealien » Logged
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2003, 03:57:05 pm »

Well, here is an idea that is kinda a repeat of one above somewhere, but with small alterations.

How 'bout Admin. Rob check to see how many posts a person has made, and along with that, read to see if the posts sound like they are actual info. instead of blabber, and judge permanent MP3 rights from that. 8)

Or have I spoken too soon? ^^;

That's more or less the current system.  But that's not really fair, now is it?  If you don't post enough, I don't even know you enough to think if you're informant quality.  For example, I don't remember you posting at all.  :P  However, I know Saucer posts a lot and is incredibly informative.  Hell, I ought to just give him a custom group title of "Lead Informant" and let him sit with it.  :P

dronealien
Londs' Screen Time

"Dark Hero"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2003, 03:59:46 pm »

Back to square 1. ::)
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2003, 09:10:56 pm »

That's more or less the current system.  But that's not really fair, now is it?  If you don't post enough, I don't even know you enough to think if you're informant quality.  For example, I don't remember you posting at all.  :P  However, I know Saucer posts a lot and is incredibly informative.  Hell, I ought to just give him a custom group title of "Lead Informant" and let him sit with it.  :P

*BLUSH* I am but a humble servant of the community. *BOW*  ;D

Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2003, 05:32:54 am »

*BLUSH* I am but a humble servant of the community. *BOW*  ;D

:: punts a Mettool in Saucer's general direction so that he may harvest it for its Japanese civil service helmet ::

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2003, 10:22:33 pm »

:: punts a Mettool in Saucer's general direction so that he may harvest it for its Japanese civil service helmet ::

You! With the suspicious looking foreign car! You can't drive that way!

::leads several large trucks into a collision then sets Pedro on fire::

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2003, 09:31:24 am »

Only because it'll be gone later...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »