Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:51:14 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  The Alternative Contributer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: The Alternative Contributer  (Read 8286 times)
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2003, 11:17:10 am »

From Oct 28th newspost:

Maybe we should whip up a "Test of [El-Hazard] Knowledge" online test as an alternative to becoming a "Site Contributer" through conventional means? I don't want to disclude the honest EH fan folk because they can't think of what to contribute. Okay, forum time...

Many of you guys have been real good about getting contributions to me and you've earned a nice title for yourself.  But right now if you DON'T do that, you get no MP3's.  I'm sure quite a few of our members who register are real deal El-Hazard fans with just no idea of how to contribute stuff.  I know a lot of the stuff I have now I had no idea existed before and we're STILL finding new stuff all the time.  (Plastic figurines?  Ha!)  

Anyway, so I'm thinking for the honest yet unable to contribute among the masses ought to get a fair chance by proving El-Hazard Fan-ness with a test of El-Hazard "fact".  It'll be all multiple choice so that I don't have to "grade" them and it can be automated.  (Unless some of you want to become "test graders" and then things get interesting.   ^^; )  It ought to cover all the things that they should know like "the main young boy character's name is Makoto" or "Fatora and Alielle are lovers in the OAV".  (Even Wanderers-only watchers tend to know THAT fact!)

So I ask you... whaddya think and got any suggested questions?  ;)

Note: For those with contributing pride, they won't get the title "Contributer"; they'd be "Tested Through" or something.  :P
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 11:18:23 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 10:23:29 pm »

I think that's a cool idea Rob. Seeing as how you and Tim are so thorough at tracking down stuff, and us forum members have rounded up alot of stuff, I can see someone having a really hard time trying to find something new, short of inventing it themselves (like fanart or fanfics or some such). So, testing their true El Hazard otaku-ness might be a good way to reward them for their dedication to the greatest anime series of all time.

Now, we want them to be members of the community as well, not just leechers right? So I wonder if there's a way for them to only be able to take the test after they've contributed a certain number of posts? Like they automatically get PMed the link to the test? Is there a script you can write that will do that?

If you decide to go with hand-graded (write-in?) tests, I'd be glad to volunteer as a grader. But if you go with automated, multiple choice tests, you could throw in a few gag questions, like; How do you correctly write the name of the new water priestess from Alternative World in romanji?  ;D

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2003, 11:31:30 pm »

How do you correctly write the name of the new water priestess from Alternative World in romanji?  ;D

[the new water priestess] blinked. "Oh."

Then [the new water priestess] got the picture. "Oh!"

And then, [the new water priestess]'s eyes went all sad and shiny. "Oh! Mr. Saucer! That's just mean!"

Now, we want them to be members of the community as well, not just leechers right? So I wonder if there's a way for them to only be able to take the test after they've contributed a certain number of posts? Like they automatically get PMed the link to the test? Is there a script you can write that will do that?

Oh, well, yeah.  That wouldn't be a problem; just latch it onto the script that writes posts in the first place.  (Good ol' "if posts equals threashold" type logic.)  Of course, maybe that would set them for the test, because theoretically they could post several times consisting of only a single character.  :P

Makoto Mizuhara
Dimension Traveler

Mak-Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 01:35:27 am »

*Jason gets the Bright & Shiny Eyes*

Joooooooy...

I think I finally found my calling.  Can one get "Contributor" Status by creating the test?  Single Answer, Multiple Choice, True or False, hell, even questions that require multiple page long essays...

... *cough* ...

Sorry, got a bit ahead of myself.  But in all seriousness, I want in on creating the E.H.A.T.'s.  

And you know I can back up anything I give you.  8)

El-Hazard Information, collected with TLC because of OCD...

(http://www.geocities.com/MakotosMWO/) http://www.el-hazardonline.net
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 02:31:15 am »

Hey Bob not to be picky or weird on you...

But if you're changing the website name... you may want to change the "Select OEG Section" text on the single drop down frame ^_^

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 10:27:54 am »

*Jason gets the Bright & Shiny Eyes*

Joooooooy...

I think I finally found my calling.  Can one get "Contributor" Status by creating the test?  Single Answer, Multiple Choice, True or False, hell, even questions that require multiple page long essays...

... *cough* ...

Sorry, got a bit ahead of myself.  But in all seriousness, I want in on creating the E.H.A.T.'s.  

And you know I can back up anything I give you.  8)

Well, you're the only one to offer so far to make the whole test.  So combined with Saucer's thoughts on implementation we could be set.  I trust you certainly Mr. Makoto; you may go do that and get your official contributer stamp.  ;)

Now back to what Saucer's ideas; should it require a bit of posting to prove an initial standing of your personality, and should it be an automated "Okay, you're cool, here's the test", or should it just be a granted right by registration?  Personally, I do like Saucer's idea better only because it kind of requires a bit more on the person's part than just a "cheat sheet".  Speaking of which, it might be good to have more questions than necessary, and the system build a random test each time.

But if you're changing the website name... you may want to change the "Select OEG Section" text on the single drop down frame ^_^

Oh, right.  Thank you.  :P  *fixes*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2003, 10:29:52 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Makoto Mizuhara
Dimension Traveler

Mak-Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2003, 03:42:21 pm »

Well, you're the only one to offer so far to make the whole test.  So combined with Saucer's thoughts on implementation we could be set.  I trust you certainly Mr. Makoto; you may go do that and get your official contributer stamp.    

Aw Yeah, I'm all over that like a hobo on a ham sammitch.  :P

I'll prolly start crackin' tonight.  If you're on AIM, I'll try and catch ya since I have some ideas for layout and stuff, but I wanted to run them by you first.

... and the funny thing is, i have no desire to d/l mp3's (I own every CD anyway.) I just wanna get rid of the Lond's Tag...  ::)

El-Hazard Information, collected with TLC because of OCD...

(http://www.geocities.com/MakotosMWO/) http://www.el-hazardonline.net
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2003, 03:54:32 pm »

Aw Yeah, I'm all over that like a hobo on a ham sammitch.  :P

I'll prolly start crackin' tonight.  If you're on AIM, I'll try and catch ya since I have some ideas for layout and stuff, but I wanted to run them by you first.

... and the funny thing is, i have no desire to d/l mp3's (I own every CD anyway.) I just wanna get rid of the Lond's Tag...  ::)

*Chuckles* 'Fraid yer outta luck, then. The only way to ditch the "Londs' Screen Time" tag is to graduate up to the "Dimension Traveller" by logging (I think) 30 posts or more. Whether or not you're a contributer has nothing to do with it.

The 1337 poster
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2003, 09:02:54 pm »

10, 20, 40, and 80 are the threasholds for each level.  So... 20 more.  :P

If you're on AIM, I'll try and catch ya since I have some ideas for layout and stuff, but I wanted to run them by you first.  

I have a very busy work/school life that keeps me out late ... a lot.  Alternatively you may just wish to use forum PM's.  Certainly not as interactive, but it's a start.   ^^;

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2003, 11:13:26 pm »

Oh, well, yeah.  That wouldn't be a problem; just latch it onto the script that writes posts in the first place.  (Good ol' "if posts equals threashold" type logic.)  Of course, maybe that would set them for the test, because theoretically they could post several times consisting of only a single character.  :P

Theoretically, they could do that. But that's what us Moderators and Admins are for. ^_^;

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2003, 10:55:09 am »

As long as you hold up your part of the deal.  So what's a good post threashold -- 20?

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2003, 04:53:28 pm »

As long as you hold up your part of the deal.

:P  ;D

So what's a good post threashold -- 20?

I would say 20 or 25 is a sufficient number. So how will I/we grade them (if we go with hand-graded tests)? Do we get carbon-copied the test via PM or email? Email would be best I would think, but PM is good too.

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2003, 11:41:39 pm »

Well, for now we have "Makoto" produced a multi-choice test.  I think that'll be sufficent enough for now.  (And I get the fun of coding it.)  Maybe we can also have an advanced test for the truly 1337 to take that would feature written answers.  Although that might just be for status rather than just vanilla Contributer-equivalence.  *shrug*

Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2003, 11:51:38 pm »

Yes, but will they be hand-graded or automatically or what? You could probably find a script somehwere, like the one those online quizzes use that everyone makes?

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2003, 01:01:23 am »

Yes, but will they be hand-graded or automatically or what? You could probably find a script somehwere, like the one those online quizzes use that everyone makes?

Automatically, I'll make up a system.  I'm expecting the end-user to have a large form submission of radio buttons that are tied to some sort of ID system that submit responses to the attached ID; thus there's no hint on the user's side, but the server checks each ID for the correct response and grades it automatically.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines