Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:15:15 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Mini Confirm-Or-Kill (Saucer maybe?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Mini Confirm-Or-Kill (Saucer maybe?)  (Read 9436 times)
Lord God Jinnai
Demon God(ess)

In this house, I'm the man.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2003, 01:29:44 am »

Yes, the Tenchi Muyo tv series 1 is definately the best Tenchi out there. It starts off slow, but by the third episode, you'll be hooked. As Saucer said, the story's a lot tighter than the OAVs, the character development is better thought out, not too much fanservice (which is always a plus), no quasi-incest (Ayeka and Tenchi are not blood related in this one), you get a much cooler villain, and, perhaps the best reason, is this is the version Kiyone is in.

I Care Deep
Neil Lafrenais
Demon God(ess)

Lovely Runey

AOL Instant Messenger - Neil+Lafrenais
View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2003, 01:40:58 am »

Ugh? Tighter? The thing is 26 episodes long! There's nothing "tight" about it.

Plus, the incest stuff was interesting.

A much cooler villian? I'm sorry, but no. Just no. The OAV Kagato wipes the FLOOR with Universe Kagato. Easily. The whole look of the character is extremely generic in Universe. In the OAV, it is inspired, not to mention he has an excellent dub voice.

And Kiyone? She gets annoying after a while ;) And she destroys the relationship between Washu and Mihoshi.

Don't be misled, Rob. The first OAV series is definitely the better one. I would make big valid points on this matter, but it's 7:44am, so that's a no no. In short though, the following is better:

- Animation (It's an OAV)
- Action
- Music (Yes, it's the same as with EH. Most of the Universe only tracks are rather goofy.)
- Storyline (This is the "tight" story. It tells a great story in no less than 6 episodes.)

The only thing I can think of that is better in Universe is a few of the invidual lines and moments that could have been better realised in the OAV. Er, I can't think of any now (been ages since I watched Universe all the way through), but I'll add some later.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 11:27:03 am by neil_lafrenais » Logged

Maximum boobage!!
theravenisdead
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2003, 07:44:07 am »

I hafta side with the OAVs, I found them to be overall more enjoyable than Tenchi Universe(Though admittedly I have only seen the first 10 eps of it) The animation is better, and Ayeka seems to be treated better in it as well. And of course, Ryo-ohki gets the chance to become a human  ^_^V Can't beat that eh?
DISCLAIMER: These are the views of SR, nothing more
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 07:47:55 am by theravenisdead » Logged
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2003, 08:03:13 am »

O_o

"OAV!"  "No, TV!"  "No, go OAV!" "TV, man!"

Mmmff... I'll think about this if I ever choose to spend money on it.  If either Tenchi hooks me I'd probably buy the other.  But for right now... money is reserved.   :-X

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
theravenisdead
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2003, 08:09:42 am »

I only own the first 3 volumes of Tenchi Universe on VHS. As for the OAVs, I have 12 of the 13 eps on my computer. Money is beyond tight with me (more like non-existant... for now)
theravenisdead
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2003, 09:05:09 am »

On another note, K.T. Vogt does do both Washuu and Ifurita. Didn't see that coming I must say  ;D
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2003, 07:57:41 pm »

Neil: OVA
Saucer: Universe
LGJ: Universe
SR: OVA
Mr. What: Universe  ^^;

I like them both, but I like Universe a little more than the OVAs.  The problem I have with the OVAs is that, most of the time, I don't know what the heck is going on.  There's so much back-story in the story that I have to take notes.  Maybe that's just me.  Or maybe I just need to watch them a few dozen more times.

Anyway, I find Tenchi Universe to be quite the opposite of the Tenchi OVAs.  I find it to be kinda slow in places, especially in the first half of its run.  But it's just as amusing, and its story is much more coherent, and it has more of a WAFF.  And poor long-suffering Kiyone is one of the best "straight-man" characters ever.

I'd agree that OVA-Kagato beats Universe-Kagato.  OVA-Kagato's space craft was kewl.

I've only seen the first episode of Tenchi In Tokyo, and maybe I had too-low expectations, what with so many people panning it-- but I liked it.  But I think I'd need a box set or a bundle deal to buy it.  I haven't shopped extensively for it, but for an unpopular 8-DVD catalog title, I've found it to be way too expensive.

Rob, if you're open for recommendations?  Photon.  A six-episode OVA on a single DVD.  No sequels or alternate versions.  It's practically a clone of El-Hazard in places, but it holds up well as its own story in the end.  And it's very, very, very funny.  It's even funnier than Excel Saga is supposed to be  :P
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2003, 08:35:11 pm »

Rob, if you're open for recommendations?  Photon.  A six-episode OVA on a single DVD.  No sequels or alternate versions.  It's practically a clone of El-Hazard in places, but it holds up well as its own story in the end.  And it's very, very, very funny.  It's even funnier than Excel Saga is supposed to be  :P

I actually HAVE seen I think two (or was it four?) episodes of this at the local anime con that had come by some time ago.  I agree.  THAT is an anime I really need to pick up.  ;D  (I think it was four, it was kind of a straight shot that I just sat there and watched them on end out of boredom.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 08:35:51 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2003, 09:02:31 pm »

Yeah, I saw four episodes of Photon (with Rob).  He was bored and he asked, "You wanna see something with me?" I was finished up with playing video games  there (people who know me would be saying, "Go figure"), so I went with him.

Yeah, it was funny.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2003, 09:19:34 pm »

So general consensus has The TV series leading 3-2. Anyone else care to add? ;D

The problem I have with the OVAs is that, most of the time, I don't know what the heck is going on.  There's so much back-story in the story that I have to take notes.  Maybe that's just me.  Or maybe I just need to watch them a few dozen more times.

That's exactly the problem I have with the OVAs as well. It's like following a stone that's being skipped over a pond chock full of beautiful, colorful fish. Wait, what?! What was that just now? How many months passed between this episode and the last?  -_- It's just too rushed and lacking. That's fine for an OVA made from an existing manga or videogame, where you're supposed to already be familiar with the story before you get into it. But for a brand new story, it's pretty poor.

Yes, Photon as a Grade A classic that shouldn't be missed! I love the way it shifts from silly to super-dark and serious Noh Theater style towards the end.

Another series I think you'd enjoy Rob is Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure. 14 eps on 4 DVDs. Masaki Kajishima (Tenchi Muyo) created it and AIC produced it. It's known to fans in Japan as Shin Tenchi Elhazelion, for it's parallels to and light parodies of El Hazard, Tenchi Muyo and Shin Seiki Evangelion. All I can say is, with alternative worlds and love trianlges, how can you go wrong?

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2003, 08:19:44 am »

So general consensus has The TV series leading 3-2. Anyone else care to add? ;D

As long as we're voting...

Tenchi OAV all the way for me, baby.

It has been argued that there's way too much story crammed into too small a space, but the same can be argued for El-Hazard. But what REALLY makes the Tenchi OAVs stand for me is the characters. The characters in the OAV had layers upon layers of depth to them (even Mihoshi!). All of them had many sides to their personalities, and all of them were sympathetic characters to one degree or another.

Not so with Tenchi Universe. In Tenchi Universe, they took the predominant characteristics of their OAV counterparts and made them the ONLY characteristics that the characters possessed. In the OAVs, Ryoko was a brash, arrogant space pirate on the outside, but inwardly was a wounded woman recovering from a long lifetime of abuse and slavery, with a good heart but no experience as to how to express it. In Universe, Ryoko was a brash, arrogant space pirate. In the OAVs, Ayeka was a spoiled, domineering princess on the outside, but inwardly was a kind, loving person who was hurting becuase she had lost the man that she loved. In Universe, Ayeka was a spoiled, domineering princess. In the OAVs, Mihoshi was naive, bubbleheaded, and clumsy, but possessed a thoroughness and devotion to duty that overcame these obstacles time and again (much to the surprise of friends and superiors alike), with a lucky streak a mile wide. In Universe, Mihoshi was naive, bubbleheaded, and clumsy.

And so on. Frankly, I felt very sorry for Tenchi, having to put up with these annoying, one-dimensional women - and worse, having to face the possibility that he might actually have to MARRY the petty, self-centered Ryoko, or the possessive and bitchy Ayeka.

Sure, there's aspects to the OAV series that you practically have to be the director to know about, but not knowing these things does not diminish the enjoyability of the series (at least, not in my opinion). Tenchi Universe may spell more of the mysteries out, but that's in large part due to the fact that it was intended for a much more general audience. To me, it feels drier and more simplistic than the OAVs - EXACTLY as the Wanderers feels drier and more simplistic than El-Hazard OAV.

And, like the Wanderers, I enjoyed Tenchi Universe. The stories were interesting, I liked the new character Kiyone, and everything tied up relatively neatly in the end. But, like El-Hazard, I'll always consider the original OAV to be superior material, with more depth, better stories, and better animation.

Another series I think you'd enjoy Rob is Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure. 14 eps on 4 DVDs. Masaki Kajishima (Tenchi Muyo) created it and AIC produced it. It's known to fans in Japan as Shin Tenchi Elhazelion, for it's parallels to and light parodies of El Hazard, Tenchi Muyo and Shin Seiki Evangelion. All I can say is, with alternative worlds and love trianlges, how can you go wrong?

I ranted about this series at length on the El-Hazard mailing list. :P This was a series that I absolutely ADORED for the first several episodes, but was annoyed by the way it seemed to unravel during the final episodes. I'll not go into specifics, but I considered this anime to be a big disappointment, all told. (I will say, though, that Mitsuki Sanada is probably the prettiest anime girl I've ever laid eyes on. ;D)

The 1337 poster
theravenisdead
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2003, 04:02:59 pm »

Now I feel compelled to see Photon  ;D so I will!
If its even half as good as you guys say it is, I'll be sold ^_^

Of course, I have a long list of anime I wanna see in the near future. like Twelve Kingdoms, Vandread, the rest of the Sakura Wars TV saga (as well as the motion picture) as well as some others. But I'll up Photon into the top 5  ^_^V
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2003, 09:36:43 pm »

Now I feel compelled to see Photon  ;D so I will!
If its even half as good as you guys say it is, I'll be sold ^_^

Of course, I have a long list of anime I wanna see in the near future. like Twelve Kingdoms, Vandread, the rest of the Sakura Wars TV saga (as well as the motion picture) as well as some others. But I'll up Photon into the top 5  ^_^V

Twelve Kingdoms looks really cool. I'll probably be picking it up at some point. My only beef with the Sakura Wars movie is, Pioneer only seems to be releasing one version; the special edition with a bunch a "collectable" pencil boards and it's like $36 or something.  -_-

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
theravenisdead
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2003, 08:00:55 am »

Twelve Kingdoms looks really cool. I'll probably be picking it up at some point. My only beef with the Sakura Wars movie is, Pioneer only seems to be releasing one version; the special edition with a bunch a "collectable" pencil boards and it's like $36 or something. -_-

I remember seeing the Sakura Wars movie available from ADV Films as a normal DVD release. *shrugs* Maybe not.

Thirty-six bucks wouldnt be too bad, (if it was in Canadian :-/ ) The average anime DVD here costs between as low as 36 bucks, to as high as 60 bucks for special editions. each. Average is between 36 and 50 bucks (all prices are Canadian of course). Though that doesn't keep me from buying anime left and right  ::) ^_^V
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 08:04:47 am by theravenisdead » Logged
theravenisdead
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2003, 09:27:12 am »

I remember seeing the Sakura Wars movie available from ADV Films as a normal DVD release. *shrugs* Maybe not.

Hmm, looks like I was wrong about the SW Movie being on ADV's release list. Bah. Did a quick look over at ADVs new releases, as well as their DVD list.

Though on the plus side, Volume 5 of the TV series is coming out next month  ;D Though the anime store I buy my stuff from only just got the 3rd volume in their stock recently. Bah again. -_-

http://www.sakurawarsdvd.com/press/index.shtml

« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 09:39:55 am by theravenisdead » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines