Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:17:35 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  Ok...so who's actually here?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Ok...so who's actually here?  (Read 31584 times)
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2003, 10:00:58 pm »

I had Fatora as a desktop wallpaper thing for a while, and then late one night past the point of where your brain is still stable, she was looking real good to me.  (Due to various events and akward employment, I've been out of the dating circle for over a year now, and I'm getting real ...  

... yeah)

That's pretty understandable. I've been in WV for a few months, and I've totally given up on meeting someone here.  :P At this point, I'd even date a guy like Makoto  ;). Or Fatora.  ;D

But actually, after that, me and Neil discussed how Fatora and Jinnai are some of the most entertaining characters due simply to their absolute worst traits that SHOULD be taken negatively.  :p

YES! My point exactly! Jinnai would be boring as hell if he just followed Makoto around with a clipboard like Rainman!  ;) And the same reasoning for Fatora. She adds comic relif to the Alternative World, (Where otherwise there would be nothing but super-vapid-Qawooliness). My only complaint is that El-Hazard portrays lesbians like a bunch of sex-hungry letchers...

Shortly after I had started at the local college here, they were having an election for a new student council president.  I actually half-concidered what it'd be like to run with a Jinnai persona, or at the very least distribute Jinnai advertising as if Jinnai WERE running for president there...

Good idea! I'm starting Musselman's very first Anime Club with my sis, and maybe he'll be our poster child...
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2003, 07:40:00 am »

Admittedly, Alielle is my 'true' favourite character, but I became a Fatora fanboy mainly out of sympathy- she used to get a right kicking by most fans, although it's not as common now. I wasn't massively keen on Fatora in OAV1- although keep in mind that she was basically a one joke character... Plus, given that Ura can absorb a blast from a Demon God with only minor discomfort, I think it's unlikely that Fatora could do any harm to the cat by dropping it from the dizzying height of four feet. ^_^

It's true, she practically made OAV2 and Alternative World. And I'd advise taking Alt World Ep 13 with a pinch of salt... the entire cast were out of character in that episode, not least Alielle and Fatora (I think I'll save my Episode 13 rant until a more appropriate time, though).

And Jewel, I take your point on the issue of portrayal of lesbians. They do have the odd sweet little moment together, but not as often as I would have liked for proper development of the charcters. Still, life isn't all about positive role models ^_~ Interestingly, there really weren't that many lesbian anime characters around back in 1995, when OAV1 was first released (well, leaving hentai aside...). It was around this time that Sailor Moon was causing a bit of a stir with Haruka and Michiru... lesbian relationships really didn't happen in anime. And Alielle and Fatora are WAY more blatant about their sexuality than Haruka and Michiru. Which might make them pioneers of some sort. Or maybe not. Ugh, it's too early in the morning...

(Incidentally, the first fanfic I ever wrote explained how Fatora started out as your standard anime princess, the acquired her 'unique temperament' ^_^)

jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2003, 07:35:46 pm »

Ah, Haruka and Michiru! *GLEAM* Perhaps the best damn example of GOOD CLEAN shoujo-ai in anime! I was a big fan back when I first learned that they really weren't "cousins" GRR!! DIC makes me so mad!!! Anyways, they are a beautiful couple, if only they both had a SINGLE character flaw *other than having none at all* :)
But enough of that. This is El-Hazard online, not Sailor Moon online.  :P

You also have a good point on Ura. I personally can't tell much about that, I *shamefully* saw every tape but the last one.  :'( I know how it ends but I wanna SEE it!

I also like the Allielle-Nanami couple in Wanderers!  ;D Enough said!

*BTW: it's okay dooky, don't let them call you feminene! You sound very much like a man to me!
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2003, 09:33:50 pm »

It's true, she practically made OAV2 and Alternative World. And I'd advise taking Alt World Ep 13 with a pinch of salt... the entire cast were out of character in that episode, not least Alielle and Fatora (I think I'll save my Episode 13 rant until a more appropriate time, though).

Just episode 13?  Most of the Alternative World's run bothered me with characterizations, what with Makoto being so bland (He reminded me of Tenchi!), and Jinnai acting like a cliched caricature of his Wanderers counterpart in many scenes.  If Gilda and Dall (once he entered his apathetic alcoholic phase) hadn't been so interesting, I would've been sorely tempted to rank the series on the same level as Tenchi in Tokyo.  As is, I've just rationalized the entire thing by asserting that Makoto had spent far too much time alone in his lab and that the food Jinnai ate was drugged.

As for Fatora, my feelings are kind of mixed.  I'm not fond of her as a person, but I do like her as a character.  There's a certain captivating aspect to her as we, the audience, watch and worry about what she's going to do next.  I just wish she had more scenes with Makoto.  Oh, the crazy adventures those two could have...

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2003, 10:46:24 pm »

(I think I'll save my Episode 13 rant until a more appropriate time, though).

Try a seperate topic, I guess.  Not sure what's meant by "appropriate time".

Yes, Alternative World was really a disapointment the more I look at it.  It goes up and down, but it is subpar.  But in honesty, I like the minor developments that did go through, like extensions on how Miz and Fujisawa can get along (it gave them a relationship dimension, where prior I was wondering if Fujisawa was simply living something that was a bullet train to divorce later).  Shayla and Jinnai are excellent rebounders, though.  Episode 4 is probably one of the best of the series in total.
I did sort of like Allujah, in the bounds within I imagine him, as far as what he is.
I personally cannot stand the Makoto girl pile-on stuff, so where I plan to go with the vaguely but oft-mentioned secret project dealie that I might actually find time to do at some point *pant* ... I'll definately be against it.  The gag tires quickly, especially trying to make Qawool a further agitator.  Qawool needs development too, I have some [unclear] ideas, some of which were posted somewhere a while back...

As for Episode 13, well, I don't really know if anyone was "out of character" (more then AW tweaks, anyway).  Think about it, the entire world of El-Hazard depicted Fatora and Alielle as lusty lesbians who use any means to get at some particular women they wanted.  And then finally do.  And I have a feeling Afura was enjoying it the most.  ;p

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
dooky
Demon God(ess)

The Genius is Loose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2003, 07:40:02 am »

And I have a feeling Afura was enjoying it the most.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that ^_^

Anyway, to a new topic I will go...

inity
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2003, 11:12:43 pm »

Hi, as you may guess, I'm new here 8)

Name: Inity
Sex: female
Personality: introverted, fun-loving, a bit selfish...
Hobbies and Interests: Science fiction, especially cyberpunk, writing, history...
Favorite Non-anime Movies: Nirvana, Avalon, Matrix, We're no angels, Star Wars
Anime you've seen: many. But I have only three best favorites: GITS, S.E. Lain and guess which one else. 8)
Religion: Orthodox Christian
How did you find El-Hazard online?: I was just checking how a link to Jinnai fan club (long time not updated) was working in my signature for some forum. Then, I decided to look at forum there, even knowing it's supposed to be dead. Then, found a message advertising this site and decided to check it 8)

Misc: My roommate was really addicted to anime in past year and was downloading huge hundreds of megabytes of it, and fan clips, using my internet account (thanks God it is free 8) . I wasn't so addicted to it as he was, but he liked showing me best of his downloads. Once he've shown me his new download. It was a Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot clip... so it was a love from first glance. Jinnai, before all, I mean. :)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2003, 11:29:16 pm »

How did you find El-Hazard online?: I was just checking how a link to Jinnai fan club (long time not updated) ... Then, I decided to look at forum there, even knowing it's supposed to be dead. Then, found a message advertising this site and decided to check it 8)  

Yeah, I know!  I had subscribed for email notification of replies to the topic, in hopes someone might actually have seen it.  So, lo and behold, I get an inbox message that someone had replied... at first it was weird, I'm like "I don't even post on EZBoards anymore..." (Which I don't, no communities I attend have one anymore.)  I posted there MONTHS ago, when this site didn't even look remotely like this... in fact, you can see the difference here.  That was before a major overhaul I did sometime after I made that post... most of the links won't work now, FYI.  And the only reason the news or hit counter is up-to-date there is because the script hasn't changed since the old days.  :P

Once he've shown me his new download. It was a Hubba Hubba Zoot Zoot clip... so it was a love from first glance. Jinnai, before all, I mean. :)

THAT's awesome, because that's my story, too!  A buddy of mine downloaded and showed me that sucker, and suddenly I'm throwing money at El-Hazard like no tommorow... sure I'm in debt now, but I'm happy. ;p  Note my name as well... or click any of those broken links on the old main page and see my wacky 404 page.  Or 403 page ... or 500 page...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2003, 11:34:20 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

bakasama
Dimension Traveler

Yu get ta barnin'... kimi na shiku...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2003, 09:25:38 pm »

name: Baka-sama (sorry, i hate seeing my name posted on the internet)
personality: absolute baka!
style concept: keitaro urishima of Love Hina
Non-anime interests: low-budget movies with groundbreaking storylines, steven speilberg films, Multimedia Compression algorithms, techtv.

Currently watching: Martian successor nadesico.
Currently ripping: Sakura Wars on AXN.
Currently leeching from the web: Nior.
Last good series completed: Hand Maid May.
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts.
Currently searching: Neon Genesis evangelion.
Saving up for: a DVD Burner.

To the great Jinnai: i never thanked you for the extra info, so domo arigato, rob-san. and stupendous work on the EHPC game. :)

Wooooooo..........
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2003, 12:51:23 am »

Non-anime interests: ... Multimedia Compression algorithms...

Yeah, it'd be nice to have the source to one of the better ones for EHPC... or at least Cinepak decoding so I can run them off the Saturn disc or something, meh.

Last good series completed: Hand Maid May.

Same for me, at the moment.  Of course, I bought it mostly for the sake of the same English VA of Jinnai, which made Nanbara alone downright hillarious...

To the great Jinnai: i never thanked you for the extra info, so domo arigato, rob-san. and stupendous work on the EHPC game.  

Thanks.  EHPC, at least for what I can do with it, is quickly nearing completion.  The last news update is already incredibly out of date, where I now have 6 of the 8 ending variants completed, and all that remains is some touch-up junk, mostly graphical things that should be there and aren't.
Also, not sure if it matters to anybody, but EHPC WILL be enduser-programmable, if someone would find use with it.  I'll be giving out the compiler that generates my EHPC script binaries and whatnot.

bakasama
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2003, 04:16:52 am »

...Cinepak decoding so I can run them off the Saturn disc or something...

Ever heard of VirtualDub? It's freeware that allows you to capture, recompress and edit video files. What makes it the best is that it is opensource. Though i am not that adverse in using C++ (hey, i may be a programmer, but i've been using only COBOL - please dont laugh - for the past 2 years), i am only beginning to understand the "juice" behind video files by reading the source code! Hope it helps.
check it out at www.virtualdub.org.

...Of course, I bought it mostly for the sake of the same English VA of Jinnai...

Wow, guess youre one of the few people who din't buy em cause of the countless number of panty shots. Wait...There's a dubbed version? Anyway, i guess im more comfortable with subtitled versions. Guess it was trauma after seeing Pokemon.  :)

Wooooooo..........
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2003, 12:09:36 pm »

My trauma was DBZ, where I got my first real lesson in what dubbing/censoring can do.

However, an anime my sister bought, The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, reversed the effects by showing that it IS possible to get a good, solid, true-to-the-point English dub.  (Here's a key -- if it's bound for US television, particularly TV7 type stuff, the dub is almost guarenteed to be watered down / censored.  TICT, obviously, was not.)

El-Hazard is also excellantly dubbed; I stand behind it 100%.  Hand Maid May was okay, it kind of borrowed a little too much from the Japanese script.  Perfect Example (Nabara's initial bitching at the beginning of Episode 3)  This doesn't make any real sense at all.

The only problem with using VDub code is I'd still require M$ Windows MCI as a backbone.  I'd like something portable... that is, the source code to the compressor, not just access to compressors.
But just in case it does have some help, I WILL download it... as soon as I download and install Service Pack 5 and the Processor Pack for my VC6, which is required by VDub's specs.  ;p
« Last Edit: February 21, 2003, 02:11:18 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2003, 11:44:03 pm »

*decides to butt in here*

Perfect Blue is the ultimate dub in my opinion. Mi-mania was good in Japenese, but I've never actually heard  a dub job that was actually better than the Japenese version. (lol, little flashback to when my sis and I first saw that, we were watching the rape scene when Mi-mania first speaks, and we both piped up simultaniously, "That's Jinnai!!!" *Bob Marx also dubs Mi-Mania,  :P *

LOL, but I'll spare you all from the Bob Marx rant, only to say that he's my favorite dubber of all time, and if I HAVE to marry a boy, I'll name our first born son "Bob".  ;D That is if I don't marry Bob himself  ;) Ha ha ha.
bakasama
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2003, 05:06:09 am »

Damn, everything i get's in Japanese!
Perhaps it cause im in asia. AXN once broadcasted their anime (way back 1999, i was still a student then) in english. when 2000 hit, i don't know if the millenium bug got to their heads, they started showing it subtitled! I saw a few eps of Alternative World in english, but i hazily remember how they sounded like.
we have a local tv station that dubs it in filipino, and guess what? IT F*N STINKS! So i am doomed to stick with the subtitled version till i fully learn Jap.

Hey, Jinnai, that's a great idea! Creating your own video format so you wouldn't need to worry about lawsuits about copyright (that's the reason why VDub depends on codecs).

Wooooooo..........
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2003, 10:38:31 am »

Out of curiosity, Jewel, you wouldn't happen to have ever seen a picture of the guy by chance?  Many of us have always wondered what the great Marx looks like. :p

I also want to hear how he sounds as a good guy, instead of the regular typecast nuts he's often assigned to.  I think he's supposed to be a good guy somewhere...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines