Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:15:38 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  Non-El-Hazard Topical Discussions (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  did you ever notice.........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: did you ever notice.........  (Read 4304 times)
dronealien
Londs' Screen Time

"Dark Hero"

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2003, 11:28:54 pm »

(my first post at this site.....don't kill me......trying a topic   -_-)

Did any of you ever notice how some non-anime games/movies have that anime sort of feel to them? I mean, you watch an anime and play an anime game and you get the feel of it, but sometimes you play a non-anime game/watch non-anime and you feel as though your looking at something anime. Any of you guys/gals feel that way about a specific game or movie?
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 01:00:02 am »

(my first post at this site.....don't kill me......trying a topic   -_-)

Did any of you ever notice how some non-anime games/movies have that anime sort of feel to them? I mean, you watch an anime and play an anime game and you get the feel of it, but sometimes you play a non-anime game/watch non-anime and you feel as though your looking at something anime. Any of you guys/gals feel that way about a specific game or movie?

*Reads that... Reads it again...*

Uh... That was a little confusing... But I think I know what you're asking.

There are lots of movies, TV shows, and games that are clearly influenced by Japanese animation - the directors of The Matrix, for instance, freely admit that they were often inspired by anime. For cartoons like Samurai Jack, the inspiration is even clearer.

But you're talking about shows and video games that have NO connection to anime, right? Well, forget about video games right now. I think pretty much the only video games that were not at least partly inspired by anime are Pac-Man, Tetris, and Pong (and I'm not sure about Pac-Man). It took Japan a VERY short amount of time to pretty much take over the video game industry, back when video games first became popular. It was Japan that pretty much defined the various genres of games that exist today. So, even when a game is made entirely outside of Japan, the very fact that it's a video game means that it'll wind up sharing a lot of traits with Japanese games, and a lot of those traits are anime-related.

As for television shows and movies and stuff that weren't at all inspired by anime, I'd guess that it's pure coincidence when they sometimes seem to be anime-like. Anime include a number of themes that are more-or-less universally entertaining, so it's hardly surprising that other entertainment industries might come up with some of the same ideas on their own.

The 1337 poster
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 04:54:08 pm »

Well, I dunno if this topic will go any further, but I'm gonna bring up an unrelated point for dronealien here.

DA, in your reg data, you wrote "I'll contribute what I can find to help this site, but I hope you won't ban me if I can't contribute on a regular basis."  

I just want to make it known that contribution isn't a requirement, you just don't get that nice little "Contributer" mark like ol' Spanner has there.  ;)  And I really don't expect anyone to be able to contribute "on a regular basis".  There's simply not that much EH stuff out there to make any sort of regular influx.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars & Loud Guitars

AOL Instant Messenger - djsaucerman
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2003, 09:59:09 pm »

Hi dronealien. You have a good point there. Just as manga and anime were originally influenced by western comics and animation, western comics and animation now exhibit influence from manga and anime. And of course, that influence spreads to live action film and game developers as well.

And then there's Disney...... (yes, I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me through one of my anti-disney rants). Is it just me, or do they seem to think they automatically own everything even remotely related to animation, simply because they're Disney? First, there's their hoarding of the exclusive rights to all Studio Ghibli product in North America. With a mere trickle of english langauge DVDs coming out. The well hasn't run dry yet. And, probably never will, at the rate they're going. And then, there's the travesty of Jungle Taitei and The Lion King. And, when fans rallied together to demand recognition of Tezuka-sensei's original work, Disney assembles their battalion of lawyers and readies for a lawsuit! Oh, and don't even get me started on Nadia and Atlantis! What's next?!

OK, that was going a bit off topic. Sorry, just had to vent. Bad moderator, bad!

Let's go, Red Raccoon Dogs!
MrWhat
Demon God(ess)

He's so excitingly bold!

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 12:52:23 am »

I think pretty much the only video games that were not at least partly inspired by anime are Pac-Man, Tetris, and Pong (and I'm not sure about Pac-Man).

Here's an interesting interview with the designer of the Pac-Man game.  Apparently, the name "Pac-Man" came from "paku paku," a Japanese term for the motion of a mouth as it eats.  This Has Been Another Useless Fact.

(yes, I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me through one of my anti-disney rants).

You're preaching to the choir.  Besides all that, the Mouse House is directly responsible for de facto perpetual copyright extension.  I try to avoid purchasing Disney products, myself, but it isn't easy.
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2003, 06:41:24 pm »

This Has Been Another Useless Fact.

As a Librarian at my work once said, "There are no such thing as 'useless facts.'" ^^;

El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

I am the pic theif. You are next. Yes, you.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 05:02:31 am »

(yes, I'm afraid you'll have to bear with me through one of my anti-disney rants).  

I'm with you on that account.

But I pitty my RL friends, they have to sit through my anti-GAP/Ne$tlé/E$$o rants.

As a Librarian at my work once said, "There are no such thing as 'useless facts.'"

Even the fact that a regulation golf ball has 336 dimples?

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Forget the dogs of war. The wolves of war are what you should be worrying about.
Excuse me, I seem to have found a Heero in my shoe.
FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2003, 08:21:26 pm »

Even the fact that a regulation golf ball has 336 dimples?

Butt-Head: Tit... le.......ist......

Beavis: Mmm heh heh heh! TITleist!

[This Beavis & Butt-Head nostalgia moment brought to you by Saucer]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 08:22:27 pm by saucer » Logged

El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 04:05:57 am »

I worry sometimes... Most of the time... All the time...  -_-

Forget the dogs of war. The wolves of war are what you should be worrying about.
Kathy Guinea
Demon God(ess)

Magnetman is attractive.

ICQ Messenger - 148429211 AOL Instant Messenger - Kathy+Guinea
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 01:00:13 am »

Here's an interesting interview with the designer of the Pac-Man game.  You're preaching to the choir.  Besides all that, the Mouse House is directly responsible for de facto perpetual copyright extension.  I try to avoid purchasing Disney products, myself, but it isn't easy.

>_< It sucks... it's just like the story "Melancholy Elephants..." Greed will extend copyrights forever... and since there is already no such thing as an original idea... we'll get to the point where everything is a copyright violation and all creativity will become a violation of law...

:: looks around for evil Disney lawyers-- seeing none ::

DISNEY SUX!

:: runs away ::

Little Rock lights the way... or maybe he's just leading us to a firey death. Meh, either way...

Netto:
Spanner
Demon God(ess)

Here to make friends and destroy stuff!

AOL Instant Messenger - NeoSpanner
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 07:47:23 am »

>_< It sucks... it's just like the story "Melancholy Elephants..." Greed will extend copyrights forever... and since there is already no such thing as an original idea... we'll get to the point where everything is a copyright violation and all creativity will become a violation of law...

I think I might have read that story! Is that the one where this woman, whose songwriter husband had committed suicide because the heartfelt love song he'd written for her turned out to be a violation of copyright, tries to convince a lawyer (or something) to fight the eternal copyright law? It went into mathematical detail about the fact that there are a finite number of possible arrangements of musical notes - and only a small fraction of those arrangements could possibly be considered pleasing enough to be considered musical. At least the story ended on a positive note, if I remember correctly, with the lawyer agreeing to fight the new law.

The 1337 poster
Saucer
Demon God(ess)

Girls, Cars &amp; Loud Guitars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 09:36:11 pm »

Funny, you don't see alot of these problems occuring in Japan where the copyright laws are more lenient. ^^;

Here's a few for you. The guitarist from The Byrds plans on sueing Microsoft. Why? Because the last four notes of WinXP's shutdown music is the first four notes of some shitty Byrds song. Yes, that's right! You can now copyright individual notes sequences and, AND chord progressions! Lars Ulrich of Metallica wants to sue some Canadian band because they use the same chord progression Metallica uses all the time. -.-

Here's another story for you. A former coworker of mine is being sued by Disney. No joke. The lawsuits been going on for some time, but they're having trouble finding him. Heh heh. He was running his own little Indie label for awhile and put out a CD by an emo-punk band called The Sugarcoates. For the cover, he used artwork from one of the Ferdinand the Bull picture books. It was a really old book, so he just assumed that the copyright was now public domain? Bad move on his part for not checking, because Disney bought the copyright sometime back in the 70s but apperently didn't do anything with it until recently. So what happens when he sends some of the CDs to Hollywood Records (which coincidentally is owned by guess who?) for distribution? "Hey, it's a cartoon! We must own it!" Lawsuit time. -.-

Yes, "DISNEY SUX!" indeed.  ^^;

Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 10:05:51 pm »

This is another reason to deal only with anime -- there's less chance some American company is going to come with a pitch-fork carrying mob and greater chance you'll simply be accepted the same way a doujinshi artist is for making fan devices.  :P

I will further admit that the US, while being a nice convience being rich and everything, has really been making me worried about staying here.  Japan has become increasingly inviting.  Which is sad since it has absolutely no cultural relevance other than the obvious to my existence.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
El The Istari
Demon God(ess)

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2003, 06:59:07 am »

Which is sad since it has absolutely no cultural relevance other than the obvious to my existence.

I'm goin' for the rammen.  ^^;

theravenisdead
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2003, 07:56:30 am »

There's a plane ticket with my name on it, just gotta go ahead and BUY it  -_- ^^;

Maybe if I save up a few grand I'll head to Tokyo or Osaka n stay n a gaijin house a for a few months, enjoy the time in the land of the rising sun, while using a Working Holiday Visa to be able to work part time while being a tourist.

Unfortunately for Americans, this visa is only available to specific countries with agreements with Japan (Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, New Zealand, and South Korea) so yer not eligable.  :(

But I plan to register for one when I have the cash to support myself over there 8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 08:03:39 am by theravenisdead » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines