Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:36 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Forums are now for historical use only. Thanks for the memories years ago!

+  El-Hazard Online
|-+  General
| |-+  El-Hazard Online (Moderator: Icy EyeG)
| | |-+  El-Hazard 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: El-Hazard 2  (Read 11641 times)
rowan_a._seven
Demon God(ess)

Demon Gods - as dangerous as they are cute.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2003, 09:52:27 pm »

And I'm a student with an overactive imagination who is _hoping_ to write an El-Hazard fanfiction epic someday.  I have developed a rough plot, written three character studies to clarify my feelings about them, and, using a screenshot off this site and Microsoft Powerpoint, created an El-Hazard map.  Now all I need to do is actually write the story.;D

By the way Rob, is it okay to post fanfiction to this forum?  I'd like to post those character studies I mentioned here and learn what people think of them.
bakasama
Dimension Traveler

Yu get ta barnin'... kimi na shiku...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2003, 02:23:42 am »

Ey Jinai! Thanks for the greetin in the other thread!  ;D

I think you make the first one I've ever known who actually liked AW over OAV2 (no problem with that, I just find it interesting.)

Hey, count me one of em!
Reasons why i think OAV2 should be seen:
- Mizu and Fujisawa get married.
- Shayla's first kiss.
- The closing theme.
Why i don't watch my copy of OAV2 as much as i watch OAV1:
- The possibility of too many Ifuritas
- The possibility of more guys like Makoto
- Bad costumes!
- VERY Bad Hair day for Mizu!
>:(- and some other reasons explained animetric.com gave this 3.5 out of 5 stars (OAV1 got 5 out of 5, AW 4)

My advice to those who complain:
Should've stuck to seeing ONLY the first OAV if you wanted a satisfaction, no more. The continuations just give too much room for fan interpretation. Too bad, we're all just too curious bout what happens next we ignore what the critics (reviewers) say. :-/

Wooooooo..........
Captain Southbird (EHOL Creator)
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2003, 09:19:03 pm »

Actually, I think WITHOUT the continuations, fan interpretations would be like chaotic missiles with no guidance systems.

Dub vs. Sub, let's keep quiet about it.
bakasama
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 02:21:58 am »

Hai, hai.

But i still hate what the animators did to Mizu's Hair. >:(

Wooooooo..........
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 10:02:02 am »

Yes, it appears all series after the original OAV generally followed Wanderers standards, probably because just like Wanderers, the animators, likely not as large a staff not being paid as well, were looking for simplification to the character designs.  And Wanderers design is as good as anything, right?

In other words, that's most likely where the "simple hair strands with big pink bow" design for Miz would've come from.

I also know that "Makoto" of the infamous Geocities site likes to use these [loosely] as a grounds that all further series after OAV1 are a seperate existance.  I don't believe in that, I see it as just the laziness and/or money issues that it is. ;) Personally, I think he's just a little crazy about his El-Hazard.  But then... so am I.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 10:04:40 am by rob_jinnai » Logged

Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 10:05:35 am »

Oh yeah:

By the way Rob, is it okay to post fanfiction to this forum?  I'd like to post those character studies I mentioned here and learn what people think of them.

Have a blast.

Makoto Mizuhara
Dimension Traveler

Mak-Daddy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 10:59:07 am »

I also know that "Makoto" of the infamous Geocities site likes to use these [loosely] as a grounds that all further series after OAV1 are a seperate existance.  I don't believe in that, I see it as just the laziness and/or money issues that it is. ;) Personally, I think he's just a little crazy about his El-Hazard.  But then... so am I.

Um "Rob", I do have a real name...

*Tries to think of reasons why his page is "Infamous" *

As for the OVA 2 argument, I never said that the different character designs were the reason why that OVA 2 was a seperate continuity.  I cannot see any reason why people cannot change their hairstyles/outfits.  

One of  real argument was this, and I only mentioned it because some people could nitpick this point, so I pointed it out, and that involves the Muldoon Artifacts.  It's noticeable that they changed (something you would not expect to happen to "Holy Artifacts") so I made the argument (Playing "Devil's Advocate," if you will.)

The biggest argument that could made that OVA 2 is a seperate entity is the fact that there was a sequel to the OVA made BEFORE OVA 2, which was the original Radio Program from late night Japanese Radio.

I know that you don't much care for original Japanese sources, which is fine.  I prefer to have a choice in what I percieve to be the El-Hazard Timeline.  

Personally, I think he's just a little crazy about his El-Hazard.  But then... so am I.

That may be true, but at least "MY" El-Hazard has never been subjugated to the horror that is Qawool Towles...

... Plus I get a Cool Ifurita and a Cute Ifurina...

... So which of us is really crazy?  

- Jason
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 11:02:00 am by makoto_mizuhara13 » Logged

El-Hazard Information, collected with TLC because of OCD...

(http://www.geocities.com/MakotosMWO/) http://www.el-hazardonline.net
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 11:48:56 am »

You.
Btw, it's "infamous" just because I can be a paranoid, competitive freak when it comes to El-Hazard.  You may ignore that adjective. :p

Um "Rob", I do have a real name...  

Sorry, "Jason".  I only think of you as "Makoto", because you are. ;)

I know that you don't much care for original Japanese sources...

Which has no basis in any arguement here, I only point it out because that's me.  :p  I say, if an English source can't be at least equivalent to a Japanese version, then whoever worked on the English version should've tried harder.  Of course, one could call me a hyprocrite because of the slight direction change with my Saturn->PC bit, but I guess in my eyes, I see it as "better". ;)

The biggest argument that could made that OVA 2 is a seperate entity is the fact that there was a sequel to the OVA made BEFORE OVA 2, which was the original Radio Program from late night Japanese Radio.  

Actually, Neil tells me that OAV2 was based on the radio show, meaning its just a graphical adaption of the radio show.  Book->Movie, equivalent.  I think that if the medium changes it's not a logical "sequel."  (Jurassic Park 2 for the SNES versus the movie... oh my.)

It's noticeable that they changed (something you would not expect to happen to "Holy Artifacts")

Well, like I said, I see it as the laziness and/or problems of the later animation teams.  You're just supposed to shut up and accept it as an on-screen only issue.  That's why for my personal project, I've readapted them to their original artifacts, as I am not plagued by whatever issue cursed the later production teams.

Notice, I keep the original leg-pack design going and such.  (Oop, looks like I just dropped something ;))

Because of this one moment, would one also assume that Ms. Shayla enjoys Alielle's advances? ;)  (Real frame, just a mid-point in the animation before she gets teethy)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 12:03:29 pm by rob_jinnai » Logged

Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2003, 04:57:41 pm »

Makoto Mizuhara 13 - "That may be true, but at least "MY" El-Hazard has never been subjugated to the horror that is Qawool Towles...  

... Plus I get a Cool Ifurita and a Cute Ifurina...  

... So which of us is really crazy?"

Hmm.  Well... "MY" El Hazard has Ishiel (favorite obscure character).

(everyone backs away slowly and carefully)...

What?  I like her.  I also like Shayla (favorite regular female character).  Heck, I can't choose between the two.

(everyone looks in disgust)...

What?!

------

Well, personally, I think what happened during the "translation" of the Saturn version was possibly how the dub for El Hazard happened.

(people reading scripts)

Man 1 - Man, this is boring material.

Man 2 - Could be funnier.

Man 1 - How about we do a few things to it?

Man 2 - What the hell.

(gets decked by the whole chatroom)

The point is, I laughed when Fujisawa was talking about DT's not  the fact he "lost his chance" (it also made more sense, why ask a creature that came out of the forest?).

--------

Oy.  "El Hazard OAV 2", although quick and short, seems good to me.  Granted, I am no good at judging, but I think that the OAV1, OAV2 and AW were pretty good.  I also liked Wanderers (and I better because I'm doing synopises and scripts for it).  Besides that...

This situation has got out of hand.

There are some people who liked and some who don't.

And besides...

I love the series.

Why else would I help my brother?

Someone - "He's your brother."

No it's not!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 09:04:10 pm by thegameguy » Logged

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2003, 11:34:49 pm »

That may be true, but at least "MY" El-Hazard has never been subjugated to the horror that is Qawool Towles...  

Wow, someone who actually agrees with me about the whole Qawool thing... *looks stunned* Is it just me, or did Qawool just amble on in and steal the show from the rest of the girls? How did that girl ever become a priestess if she can't even distinguish the difference betewwn the opposite sexes??? (Reference to her lack of hormones and her basic mis-understanding of the ways of men) If the people who made her wanted her to be likeable, they should have given her... Well, less "perfection"...

Erm, sorry, my rant is done.

:P
bakasama
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2003, 05:32:14 am »

I suspect Quawoor was just an attempt of the creators to insert an Ifurita [Wanderers Flavor] type character into the Magnificent World storyline.
Lets face it, Japs seem to have a fixation on innocent, cutesly clueless dames.

Personllly, i'd hit on her if i had the chance. ;)

Wooooooo..........
Tim needs time to work it out
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

It will take time...

AOL Instant Messenger - TJSOnL1985
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2003, 08:35:01 am »

Uh... okay, hitting on an anime character is a bit creepy.

No, Qwaool is just clueless.  A few days away from Makoto and she forgets all about him.  She isn't an incredible character nor is she of any true use except to replace Miz as Water Priestess...

That's all she is, a replacement.

I do not know who to blame more...

My crapola mouse that needs to double click on everything... except when I need it to...

Or the new and more "convenient" version of PowerDVD (which will NOT let you take a darn picture fo
Administrator
Demon God(ess)

EHOL Creator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2003, 10:23:22 am »

It's rather oddly spelled "Qawool", but anyway... no, hitting on anime chars isn't "creepy", it's something the loneliest among us do. ;p

bakasama
Dimension Traveler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2003, 01:19:18 pm »

...a bit creepy...

i couldn't agree more. get me a shrink, quick!

Wooooooo..........
jewel_of_roshtaria
Demon God(ess)

AOL Instant Messenger - Langrassier Yahoo Instant Messenger - temple_of_erinyes
View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2003, 10:35:58 pm »

LOL, I hit on Jinnai all the time, but you know, it's really not that rewarding, since he never really responds to my advances.  :P

I think that the same person who did AW also created Tenchi in Tokyo, and if any of you have seen this, you'll know immeadiatley the charactor I'm referring to. Sakuya. *shiver* Yes, the innocent "cute chick" this is definatley a trend, and I think Sakuya is the Queen of them all. She never even face faults! And of course, she steals Tenchi away from all of the girls without any effort whatsoever. *sound familiar anyone?*

:-/ If Qawools creators wanted to go for a "cuter" image, they should've made her more like Belldandy from Ah! My Goddess! She's actually likeable, since she's not the object of everyone's attention nonstop (and by that, I'm referring to Fatora, Allielle, Makoto and Dall)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length
SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines